Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTN: Pinstripers!!!*********lets see pics of************

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caffeine, Sep 23, 2004.

1. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Your mobile striping setup. I need to stop being lazy and get out there and start doing some shows, etc. for next year and one of the main reasons im not doing it now is im lazy as hell...i hate the heat/sun.............and well...im not "mobile" i have a carry toolbox and a old cooler for my other stuff,

looking for something simliar to this. a hazet assistent thatt not going to set me back 500+$!!!!!!! i hate the newer plastic looking wheeled things they have at home depot, etc. but i might just have to break down and get one.

ray, i know yours is awesome. what is everyone else doing? and does anyone have any lines of something cool, good for us stripers that wont brake the bank.

and yea, i thought of making one myself.

[​IMG]

2. Figure out how heavy something like that will be loaded with 40+ colors of paint,
    and a couple gallons of solvents.

Then figure who has to try and lift it.

3. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

that doesnt bother me, if its on wheels, hell i lifted up jerry cambells and his was light enough. hell your only lifting it when ya put it in the car and take it out, its like luggage really.

come to think if its going to wieght the same amount as the setup i have now. i have all my 1 shot and reducers, etc, in 1 box and my brushes, etc. in another. my girfriend carried it about a mile at the smokeout!

like i said, just looking for somethign on wheels, maybe a table on top, etc. like that assistent, it was perfect but as much as id like to I cant afford what they are going for.

4. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

wow plus i dont have 40+ cans of paint! MAYBE 25ish, MAYBE and i work outta 1/4 pints [​IMG] except white and red.

and dont bring gallons either. i put my solvents/reducers, cleaners in jars or smaller cans.

5. the question is, how complicated/grand a set up do you need??

i have a big diamond plate hand carry tool box that holds 2 layers of about 20 cans, and all of my tools (brushes, pencils, rulers, tape, etc.)in the top tray. throw it in a wagon with a small wood hand carry organizer with reducer, spirits, alky and rags......i'll get a pic tonite.

6. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

just need somethign that can store my pain/solvents brushes (not much as i use 1/4 pints, etc. ) on WHEELS with a handle...and maybe a table like thing to use as a "work" area for palletting, mixing paint, etc.

carrying around "anything" withhout wheels at a show sucks in my book. haha.

7. Whiskey

Whiskey

Wheels schmeels....You saw the smaller version of my setup l'm usually two toolboxes and a couple of bags deep with stuff...put yer toolbox in a wagon if you really want wheels...and if you get tired get someone to carry it for you...always works for me [​IMG] haha

Whiskey

8. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

my set up is pretty shabby compaired to most...I don't have a lot of paint...just a lot of the necessary colors so you can mix whatever you want. I thought I had some pictures of it, but I don't...anyway. Its just a medium sized, metal tool box. In it, I have all my paints, my brush box, some royal crown to put on the brushes after you're done, a phonebook, a couple murray's lid to put thinner in, a ton of popcicle stick for stirring and mixing, rags, a stabillo pencil and some q-tips. I also have an old bottle opener that I use for opening the cans. This is attatched, with bicycle brake cabel, to my tool box so I won't lose it like I have the numerous screw drivers I used to have for the same purpose. I carry around a gallon of mineral spirits, but not in the box. I'll try to get some pictures later.
    some might call it primitive...but it works for me.

9. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

no offense, but i dont have boobs!!! [​IMG] hehe.
    yeah i saw your kit. i guess what works works. right now what i have is just too much of a pain to carry.

10. Build it.

Go to Home Depot and buy some nice oak, a cheap mitre box, a good hand saw, wheels, some stain and some laquer. You'll be in it for about $75-$100 and have something beautiful.

Exercise some craftsmanship on this one Rob. In ten years when you're staring at that cart YOU made, you'll be glad YOU made it, rather than buying some plastic junk.

Wood has soul. Plastic has...nothing.

11. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

plastic is easier to make it fold up nice and space like!! hahaha

12. Bah! Hinges.

[ QUOTE ]
    plastic is easier to make it fold up nice and space like!! hahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

13. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    no offense, but i dont have boobs!!! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

.........yea, but you've got a pretty ass when it ain't all scraped up!! ROFLMAO [​IMG]

14. maybe the next question is what is your transportation to and from shows?? truck or car?? if its a car, you have one set of limitations...space.
    if you have a truck you can get all kindsa creative. how about a plastic or metal rolling utility (mechanics) cart with a lid. put an organizer or a couple of small boxes in the base for large items like rags, thinner etc, and put everything else in the droors/well.... the lid works as a portable work surface and may even lock for security.
    a few ideas..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MikeO

MikeO
    from MI

I load mine in this. the wheels roll good and I dont have to push or pull it [​IMG] Didnt you build a wagon for haulin your stuff?

Attached Files:

16. Whiskey

Whiskey

whys it got be about the boobs damn [​IMG]...its not like they're huge or anything...you just gotta work on the cult following l know plenty of pinstripers that have that going on and not a pair of boobs in the bunch...

haha

Whisk

17. Get a Harley Servicar,with a big paint box on the back.
    Like the trike the Icecreme Man from Hell has.

18. Spike!

Spike!

You need the....SUPER KART! I'll sell it to ya too... [​IMG]

Spike

19. I find that the SIMPLER you keep it the better.I use two boxes to keep all my stuff in.The main one I bought at Sam's Club for about 25 dollars a couple years ago.It rolls on wheels(it has a third wheel in front so you can move it around while it's flat on the ground),has a folding handle,and came with a little pocket on the side to store fishing poles in.Works nicely for my tripod.Holds plenty of paint,thinner,and brush cleaner as well as various other chemicals(naphtha,brush oil,wax and grease remover,special glass cleaner,polishing compound)stored in pint squirt bottles.I rarely use more than a pint of ANY liquid in a weekend of work except maybe wax and grease remover.(I keep 2 bottles of that).It also has a place on the back to store my palette which screws to the tripod and has feet attached so it can be used if the tripod is not needed and a paper towel rack bolted on the back also.
    I very rarely take that out of my car if I'm going to a job site unless I need an oddball color to mix up some paint.My "travel" kit is an old makeup case bought for 50 cents at a yard sale(I've purchased a half dozen others and never paid more than a dollar for one)and outfitted with 1/4 pint cans of the most used colors(I think I have about 20 colors altogether in there)plus smaller squirt bottles of W&G remover,mineral spirits,brush oil,and brush cleaner.Plenty of brushes(a small metal box full),2 strips of magnetic tape,paint cups(a dozen),Stabilo pencils,can opener and closer,stir sticks,folding yardstick that I clip straight with magnetic clips and a pencil sharpener(critical item).My travel tripod fold up and the palette has a loop on the back to hang it up.
    I buy empty 1/4 pint cans for about 60 cents apiece and fill them with 1-Shot.If they start to skim over badly,I throw them away.Much cheaper than throwing away a half or full pint.
    The tripods are nice because they extend quite high if you're working on a big job and you don't have to try and balance your paint on a ladder.The aluminum clipboards are a little pricey(about 15 dollars)but work better than the Masonite or plastic ones(they don't break,react with solvents,or absorb paint and/or thinner).The aluminum cups are available at most art supply stores and the 1oz.medicine cups fit them nicely.I usually put 2 on each clipboard:1 for thinner and the other for catalyst or custom mixed paint.

20. That super cart is AWESOME!

21. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

"Spike" & the SUPER CART!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

where do you guys buy those plastic medicine cups, i looked in the pharmacy area of walmart and could not find them. do i have to go to eckerds or something?