Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexxussian

nexxussian

Amen.

2. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

While showing this flathead powered '36 I heard "cool duece coupe, what did the hemi come outta" ?

Attached Files:

3. Us car folks make up like 1% of the population, so when folks say silly things I know that they are just trying to show that they know something. Be nice to them.

One of my neighbors insists that he had this or that car with this or that engine... Nope he has no idea what he's talking about. But he has cold beer.

4. That's exactly right or, they might just be a garden variety dumbass.

Over heard at a car auction:

Mulletman, (to his girl friend Three Teeth): "Look at that '64 Corvette!"

Three Teeth: "Honey, where's the motor."

Mulletman: "This must be one of those rear engine Corvette's."

Moving around to the rear of the car, "Yep, there it is, Corvette 350."

Three Teeth: "Where's the radiator?"

Mulletman: "Oh, they had a special water pump that pumped it to the radiator up front."

Me: :rolleyes:

The car in question was a '64 Corvair 4 door. It had '64 Corvair written across the windshield. I figure Mulletman wasn't an accelerated reader when he gra-ji-at-ed fourth grade.

5. But he has cold beer.[/QUOTE]

That is the best kinda neighbor to have. Car guy or not.:)

6. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

"Experts" call my deuce roadster a "T-bucket":eek:

7. After 10 years on eBay I could write a book about stuff like this. Just the other day I had a guy telling me all about a '41 Kaiser coupe...

8. stpis4me

stpis4me
    from tennessee

Had my T bucket on the road for the frst time two days ago. My grandpa is following me since i don't have it registered. I stop at a store a mile from the house and wer'e both standing there talking about what needs tweaking when a carfull of kids my age stop next to us, they don't even notice me and just look at my grandpa and say nice ride.
    Theyr'e jaws dropped when I looked at them and said thanks

9. NeverEnuf

NeverEnuf
    from Louisiana

My favorite thing to hear is how some expert would build his car like yours...If he A. had one, B. knew how, C. could get his old lady to let him stay at cruise night a few minutes longer he would go into further detail. But luckily she wouldn't let him the honda runs hot if it idles too long.

10. How about the guy that walks up to your fresh build and insists that he knows the car and its former owner.

11. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I've been lucky so far with my Essex. I'm waiting patiently for all the "experts" to come out of the woodwork and start commenting on it. :D

12. After sitting in my '40, a well known car guy from Memphis asked me a question about if my gauges were stock. After all the cars that he's had, I guess he had never seen a '40 running original gauges.

I ran into another well known guy from StL (his roadster was in the 75 most significant '32s list). Over the years, I had bought several parts from him, and I was kind of excited to show him my '40. I had just got it on the street, so the paint on the body was all original black, but I had rattle canned the fenders, since I had stripped them back when I was in high school. He was going on and on about how bitchin' my '40 was, and I felt 10 feet tall, until he said "Man, I wish I had a beater like this!" After my ego recovered, I settled into the attitude that "Street is Neat, but Beater is Neater!"

13. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

My freshly built A coupe just got called "Cute" the other day. Its not even on the road yet, sat in the driveway for 5 minutes before I heard it.

14. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Guy telling his wife that my coupe is a dwarf car.

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

I had a set of Hilborn injectors for sale at a car show a few weeks back. It was clearly marked as Methanol / Small Block Chevy. 2 guys walk up and one asks if it will fit a 302 Ford. I patiently explain, no, it's sbc. The other guy tells me you can get it to fit by simply turning it around and putting the distributor hole to the front. Since a smile and "just kidding" was not coming quick enough I simply stated this was not possible and SBC is specific to SBC and will not interchange with a Ford. The guy took offense, claimed he's done it 3 or 4 times in the past and obviously I don't know what I was talking about. They left, still grumbling about how stupid I was.

16. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I dont mean to sound like a dick but my godfather was working in the garage with me on my truck and we were trying to get the engine started, but i didnt have an oil sending unit in the block, at the time i was serching around for one. He told me why dont you just tap out the block and put a bolt in it!

17. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Talked to a friend from the VW scene the other day. Couple years ago he had a car that attracted idiots and stupid comments like nobody's business.

Guess that's more than reasonable, maybe we could all learn something from Mr Cheatam.

18. RichG

RichG

I'm all for trying to help people, but if that had been me, I would have said, "Oh, well I didn't know that, I guess it will work for you then." I wouldn't advocate lying, but far be it for me to stand in the way of another mans "knowledge":D

19. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I had an argument with my shop teacher the other day about the engine in my Packard. Its got the stock 327ci strait eight. He says "no, a 327 is a small block Chevy":rolleyes:

20. 29 de soto

29 de soto

I had a guy walk around my car for ten minutes,he said he had one just like it 40 years ago.then he asked me why i decided to put desoto hubcaps on it?..........I SAID BECAUSE ITS A DESOTO!

21. People always used to ask me about my chevyII.Only problem was that car was a 1960 falcon.

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I still laugh about how red one of my friend's faces got when he got a "Hey, nice Nova!" comment about his '69 SC/Rambler.

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I got a couple nice ones when I stopped for coffee while traveling home from the showdown the other day.

"you gonna restore it?"

"Man, there's a lot of good pieces left on that truck, you really should restore it!"

:D:D:D:D

24. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

At a cruse two weeks ago I was told the philip's head screws I had in my headlight doors were wrong thay should be slotted screws. Look at my truck in the avatar one or two other things aren't correct.

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

You should see the look on their faces when I say,
    "Of course NOT! That would be a terrible idea"

My 39 Ford pickup is heavily modified for use as a daily trailer puller.

26. whatever

whatever

i would have to agree

that is funny as hell

27. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Why do you guys go to car shows?

28. magoo

magoo

I recently got my car back on the road after 20 years.Its had just about everything done except some minor bodywork and paint.Its currently a mixture of red oxide primer and satin black and is minus bumpers.I pulled up next to a car at a small town car show.The woman in the passengers seat wound down her window and said "you've got a huge job ahead of you there"

29. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Lots of replies here that are hard to top but I have had a number of people walk up to my stock-looking '34 Ford coupe, tap on the body and say something like "I sure love that thick steel from the good old days..."

Uh, I guess, it's fiberglass.

I have seen a few people ask if someone's roadster or sprint headers were hot just at the moment they touched them to find out. yup, hot alright.

30. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Our car club has a show in Sept.....I had my '04 3/4 ton chevy pickup there loading up some tables.........These two guys look in my truck and say "Man I be that has some power, it has NOS"............I had a can of the NOS energy drink in the cup holder on the floor......I also have a '57 2 door wagon......According to everyone else it's a nomad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.