Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker tires--trash or treasure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAY With, May 15, 2009.

1. RAY With

RAY With

I have been reading a lot on web boards and seem to find a lot of negative articles about the Coker tires coming apart. Since I have never used any but was in the market for some 7.50's I would like some first hand opinions. There have been several story's here on HAMB about the Coker radials coming apart as well as the 7.50 bias tires chunking rubber. Is this a wide spread situation or just average defects?

2. I have had several set of Coker Classic bias ply tires and I have never experienced any problems.

Slick 50 (Ken) has had some Coker radial tire issues as of late.

Coker is an Alliance Member and they offer extended coverage on their tires,that doesn't correct a problem and I don't know the answer,but if you are thinking of purchasing a set of tires,,give them a call and express your concern,,,then make a decission on what you are told.

I'm sure Corky wants to put out a good product and would do eveything in his power to correct any defects in the process of manufacturing his tires. HRP

3. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I have Cokers Silvertown Radials WWW and haven't had any problems... Coker rocks...

4. I don't run bias tires, but lately I've been asking bias owners if their tires are from Coker.

Most times yes or "I dunno."

So far everone's reporting the tires are just fine and no probs....

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

No problems here.

6. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I run coker bias plys on 4 of my cars. i have driven all of them to cali.from kansas, thru the desert, snow rain and have never had any problems. but on the detroit trip we ruined 3 tires, maybe shit roads ,maybe bad tires they were brand new, first trip on them. but I got to say coker took care of the problem, replaced them free shipping , and was great to deal with. I will always run cokers. !!

7. I love my Coker radials. 5 summers driving on them now, and they both look and perform beautifully.

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just put a set on my T , real happy with them, but info like that on the Rolling Bones website gives me pause, good thing it's a zip code car.

9. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Go back through the Archives here on the HAMB and strangely the same people pop up saying how good Coker tyres are.

What's going on here ?

Bias ply tyres should have been out lawed decades ago.

Safety is more important than cool.

Show me Proof they are made in the USA.

10. landst

landst

I've had no problems with mine.
    I've bought several sets from coker.
    I also think that there sevice is great as well.:D

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

I think heat buildup in the bias tires can be an issue. That will lead to separation and failure.

I was running low pressures last year and they would get pretty hot. Coker recomends 30ish pounds in these things, I am now running 36 in the fronts and 32 in the rear. 5.00 and 6.00 Firestones.

I did a long run a couple of weeks ago in 95 degree heat and the tires stayed warm, not hot.
    Last year running low 20's psi the rears would get so hot they would be sticky. Not good.

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Find some tires that are still made in the USA. Most are made overseas.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

why are you even here? crawl back in your hole or add something of substance instead of the same old negativity....

14. I've put the Coker Big and Littles on two Hot Rods I've had, a 46 and a 48 Ford, both Flattys' with the mono-leaf spring....never had a problem...would buy them again.

15. Plowboy

Plowboy

I used to never had any problems with them. I usually buy at least one pair of them a year for whatever car I am working on.

The last pair I put on the spacetruck right before leaving for the roundup and I bounced 16 hours there and back because one of them was out of round really bad and the other was out about a quarter of an inch. They sent me a new pair and I had them road force balanced. I took off to go to the jalopy showdown in PA yesterday, made it about 30 miles and turned around because they were worse than the set I took off.

Now I am at a hot rod show in a toyota and I am not too happy about it.

16. No Joke,,:mad: HRP

17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

"Bias ply tyres should have been out lawed decades ago.

Safety is more important than cool."

Whuhhh???!!!
    Well...at least your not an extremist at all...:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Add me to the list of customers that are happy with their Coker tires!

19. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

No problem with Coker here, and the tire's are bias ply:D

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

None of the biased belted tires were ever designed to run at some of the high speeds we drive today. I think that is possibly what is causing the chunking the boners experienced. The severe out of round might be prevented by better quality control. I was looking for a pr of 285/70/R15s and was warned not to buy Cokers as they come apart. I currently have a set of Excelsors from Coker on my deuce roadster but have never had them on a long trip so can't comment.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and it really funny coming from me. :rolleyes: But damn already, but then I should be thankful he's making me look like a ray of sunshine. :D

22. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

A bubble top Camry? You ARE outrageous.

23. DozerMek

DozerMek
    from Chapman,KS

I haven't run Coker tires yet, but I was wondering if anyone has tried filling the tires with nitrogen if there is a possible overheating issue? I have to put nitrogen in the heavy constuction equipment tires for the same issue. Just my .02 cents worth.

24. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I have Cokers on my roadster and Diamond Backs on my wagon no problems with either I just replaced the fronts on the wagon and Diamond Back said for me to inflate them to 40 pounds I thought that was high but the Big O tire store guy said that it was posted on the tire casing, I think the car does ride better with the higher pressure................

25. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

I had Coker W/W radials on my 40 tudor. Over the course of a couple years, all 4 of them failed- sidewall problems. Coker was nice enough to pro rate replacements- but I went to Diamondbacks- no problems since then. Coker told me their tires were made in Mexico.

26. synthsis

synthsis

I'm a huge proponent of "Made in the USA". Got any links for US made tires?

27. shainerman

shainerman

I have them on my daily c10 and have no issues. I tear the hell out of them too. I drive gravel road at least 2 times a week, and since I dont care about anything, I do burnouts at least once a day, haha. No issues at all. Get them and be happy.

28. no problemo's here either!

29. PinHead

PinHead

Any set of tires will heat up and possibly fail if you don't have the pressure high enough, bias ply or radial. Ask any racer.

FWIW, Coker makes the closest-looking think to a bias ply in a radial tire, though they sure are pricey. I haven't bought any myself but I haven't heard any gloom and doom from the people I know who do have them, though.

30. Michelin tire,,,made in Sandy Springs, South Carolina. HRp