Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do i get rid of 1000 tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, May 14, 2009.

1. jonny o

jonny o

Local dragstrips and round tracks?
    Drags for sides and end of sandtrap in the shutdown.
    Circle tracks for obstructions in turns.

Man... you have a tough one there...

2. 51delivery

51delivery

I would suggest using the Free listing section on Craig's list or just put up a free sign. We have the "Free Tree" in front or our house. Tires and everyting else always goes away. It is amazing the stuff that people will take. A Drunk on a bicycle once took a cast iron sink.

3. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Don't they also grind 'em up and use 'em as road beds under asphalt? Maybe a road construction company of some kind? Try to find all the uses for ground up tires, and then look around in your area for people who make whatever the uses are.

Good luck
    Pete

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

Some places will take tires as trash if cut into quarters. The problem with whole tires is they float up in dumps. Call your local dumpster drop off service and see if they will take quartered tires. Then break out the saw.

5. rusty28a

rusty28a

GROOMS TIRE RECYCLING 1315 S DROVER ST INDIANAPOLIS IN 46221 317-238-0388<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    IMPACT AUTO SUPPLY DBA A1 TIRE RECYCLING 5315 ROCKVILLE RD INDIANAPOLIS IN 46224 317-241-2733<o:p></o:p>
    NATIONWIDE OTR RECYCLERS INC 220 S BELMONT INDIANAPOLIS IN 46222 775-742-7537

6. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

I second the "Earthship" idea, build a shop maybe? You could buy a bunch of rope & sell them as tire swings...

7. I know around here the govt. is experimenting using recycled tires in an asphalt mix for repaving, otherwise 1 gal. gas, 5 gal. diesel for that slow, steady burn!

8. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

If their are any 16"or 18" Indy tires in that mess I will buy them

9. Who makes tire blasting mats?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Pack 'em in 32 fords, and i'll take 'em

11. duste01

duste01

12. I pm'd you the contact info of my friend Ben R, who is a part owner of a tire burning plant in IL, maybe Ben can give you some ideas. You might be too far for him to want to get yours but he's in that biz. Tell him John Ryan sent you.

13. Drive Em

Drive Em

Nobody is going to take them for free, I pay $2.00 a piece at the local tire store to leave them off. The company that picks them makes money on them, but they still charge for picking them up. Tires are a problem, so you have to pay.

14. alchemy

alchemy

Well, if you can charge people for air, AND these tires have air in them....they may actually make you money after all. :)

15. bluemoose

bluemoose

If you can't find someone to grind them for playground mats try talking to the local asphalt provider. Sometimes they need an rubber component included in the asphalt mix (helps with wear). While they most likely don't gring them, they might have the name of a Company that does. Also try the biofuels, they grind them and burn them at really high temps which bruns all the bad gasses. Also try the City, they sometimes have programs to help clean up and dispose of tires.

16. Rent a bulldozer and bury them. Probably not legal, but I know of an old junkyard right near the Adarondack Park that did that. And they'd had the EPA in and out because of oil and coolant spills from the scrapping -

17. Old Gold

Old Gold

Buy 250 cars that need tires and install them:eek:

18. art.resi

art.resi

Living in yhe moutains here we have used them for retaining walls where the ground was giving way similer to the house building post. After filling them with dirt and
    stacking them they put plants in them and it coovers the tire so it is out of sight.

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

There was a "Dirty Jobs" episode that had a company that was cleaning up a site and distributing them. I don't know if they charged, or what they did for sure, but they salvaged some and sent'em to Mexico, sent some to be retredded, and scrapped some. The scrapped ones were shredded and used in a electricity or steel plant as fuel to generate power.

I remember it because they had a platform dump where they'd back the 18 wheeler onto the ramp and the entire platform would raise up on front and dump the load out the back of the truck, placing the nose of the truck alround 75-100 feet in the air!

Might be worth checking out to see if there's a contact to be made.

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Build one hell of an obstacle course. :D

21. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Buy 250 cars. ..................... :D

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Find someone who wants to make a tire house

23. There is a place out here that takes them for $50 a ton. I know that doesn't help you there, but shows these places do exist.

The used tire places around here cut the sidewall off at the shoulder, both sides and cut the tread so it lays flat. They fill the waste management dumpster with them and they go to the dump like regular trash. If you cut them up, they are not considered a tire anymore.. just rubber.

Or make stacks 5 high. Fill them with straw, and go into the sweet potato farming business! :D

24. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Stack them up in the front yard with signs saying DO NOT TOUCH...... They'll disappear.

I know that in some coastal areas, they tie them up & use them off shore as artificial reefs.

25. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

im gonna age myself here but....you could make a boat load of tire tread sandals out of em..

26. gbafus

gbafus
    from Camas, WA

27. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

becareful who in the city you talk to on this , if the wrong ear gets bent she could be forced to clean this tire mess up an it can get expensive , my 2 cents worth

28. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Scoob... you always have to outdo everybody.. I only have 100 tires to get rid of.. everywhere near us makes us pay 2.00 to leave them or pick them up.. Jason.

29. 4-Mexicans, (I say it with love, it's just who I'd use for this job.)
    4-cheap HF reciprocating saws
    8-Demolition blades
    1-40' dumpster
    1-day

Should be able to quarter them and get rid of them for less than $1000.

30. unclescooby,

Are there any farms in the area? Alot of farms in my area use them by the hundreds to hold down the plastic on their picked crops (silage or cattle feed). Just a thought, maybe you could look for one of these farms and ask them if they want them. Heck they may even buy them.