Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB outreach list for the newer rodders! Mentors needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Mar 15, 2009.

1. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Suprised that this one already dropped off.

BTT for the new guys.

2. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

I'm tryin', there just doesn't seem to be anyone on here in my area. I've got a couple of older guys around that'll let me in on things from time to time, but no one who's actually just sat down and started showing me shit. Engines, bodywork, paint, whatever you got!

3. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

me too, i don't have anybody, and i def am not a novice though, maybe mid level., i just want to work on a hot rod, live in an apartment, and just moved to Houston and don't know about the Houston scene soo.. another bump for the Houston/Galveston area

4. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

hell i am even willing to teach body work/ paint or welding if they have a welder..in someone else garage, i just don't have a garage

5. 52style

52style

i probably wouldnt be much of a mentor but if anyone wanting to learn needs somthing to practice on .....

probably wouldnt screw it up any worse than me

hell id love to learn from some of the ol timers but between working 60 hrs week and two toddlers i barely have time to sleep nevemind anything else

so i guess ill just keep buying parts till i find the time to do somthing with them

6. inliner54

inliner54

I can learn or teach in portland Or or vancouver wa area

7. sonicweb

sonicweb

Noticed there was only 1 post from someone in Wisconsin, how sad. Personally I claim that I don't know shit, but would love to learn a better or easier way. Someone always has a better idea. Wouldn't mind getting some people together to turn wrenches or burn some metal. Could always use a hand and lend one as well. Anyone in SE Wisconsin up for it? PM me.

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I was helped alot when I was around twelve years old with a project called

Big Brothers,

The older fellow that helped me was around 45 to 50 and had a nice older four door car that I'm not even sure what it was ,didn't really matter because it was just apart of what he did for me,

He showed me that their was another way to life then just being dirt poor and that with hard work and persistence you could over come pretty much anything and you could have some nice stuff and have a better life.

I'll get off my soap box now and just say that it's a GREAT idea ,if I can help ANYONE in my area ,I would love to with open arms...

Good luck to any of you that carry this forward.....

9. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I am always open to teaching the younger ones 'the craft' here in the Boston area....

If it wasnt for the guys who let ME sweep floors and hang around soaking up everything- I wouldnt have my own shop today and LOVE what I do...

10. aldixie

aldixie

I would love to learn more. Just finished my first car ever, normally I get to a stage and get bored and sell them before theyy are finished. I'm gradually getting older cars, would love to learn to weld properly. I'm looking at buying a model A shortly which I've only started to learn what type suspension etc to use since joining the Hamb.

11. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

BTTT,

For a Good cause,

PUT my name on the list,I'll do what ever I CAN .............

12. I know a great mentor...."Furbiscuit" he'll warp you. take you from loving old dry lakes roadsters to being in love with eduardian race cars, British, and German sports cars.

13. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

52 style you should hook up with my father inlaw ya'll could help each other. used to live in cove. go bulldogs!

any one in houston??? i'm 30 is that to old to be on the young and dumb side. been looking for this for years most of the "oldtimers" i run into won't give me the time of day. i would love to learn and have lots of free time. btw i know nothing!(fake german acent)
    Jared phillips
    281-658-7364

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  14. pyroimpala

pyroimpala
    from DFW

My whole life my dream has been to build cars. I've put some motors together, swapped engines, nuts and bolts type stuff, but I've just never really had the opportunity to learn what it takes to really get into the metalworking, painting, welding and stuff like that. I'm always the "go-to" guy at work when someone is having car trouble. LOL They always ask why I don't work on cars for a living. I just don't want to get stuck somewhere jockeying for flag-hours doing lube jobs and oil changes on minivans...

My high school never offered any type of "shop" class when I was attending (i missed it by one year :mad:) and all of the tech schools were too far away and too expensive.

But ever since I started putting together my Snap-Tite models I've been into cars. I watch these car shows on tv and these big shops building cars and I can't help but be jealous. They get to work on and build badass cars all day long. I get this weird feeling when I'm watching that that's what I'm meant to be doing. I just get discouraged because I don't think they'd ever hire someone like me without any formal training. I dunno....I'd love to get on somewhere where I can learn and get to do something fun for a change.

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your a few years to late, used have a bitchin shop space out in davis. would load up and tail gate in front of the hotdogger on friday nights. good to see someone else lowering standards in that shit hole town.

thanks farmer. :)

16. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

Im in the Scottsdale AZ side of things here. If anybody's interested in sharing some knowledge with a 27 year old drop me line, we may be a bit younger but we'll pay attention.

17. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

bump for houston/galveston area....

18. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

19. joel torres

joel torres

im currently laid off and would like to work/help a shop near by

20. cretin

cretin

If anyone in the L.A. area needs some bitch work done I'm happy to do it. I've been looking for tip/tricks/info on hammer welding. I will be doing many a patch panel on my model A and would like to improve my hammer welding skills.