Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Very cool images. The "T" coupe is pretty cool as well as the 507 '27.

2. BStoltz

BStoltz

Quite an awesome job on the T......... . Good luck on round 2!!

3. modelttom

modelttom

[​IMG]

Here is my "in progress"

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Modelttom,

Very sharp lookin' T! Duce rails, Olds Rocket 88 mill, duce grill...classic!

BStoltz,

Round 2 should be fun...I am planning to reproduce my Grandfather's '29 A-V8 roadster. It will be an EXACT reproduction to the last detail...a big project.

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello H.A.M.B.ers,

Last night I checked my babbits since I installed the "Z" head and have some miles on it...was not happy to find that it knocked all my rod caps and center main loose AGAIN! Didn't do alot of damage like last time, but damage none the less. The rods are ok, just have a little slop, but the main was real loose. Fortunately the babbits are still fairly thick and the bearing face in the cap is ok, but I lost a chunk out the "block side" of the bearing. It just cracked off and only fell out when I took the cap down, so I just stuffed the chunk back in and bolted the center main back in...so far have not had a problem.

Regardless I think its time to think about building a new motor. I'm starting to gather parts for my new T motor. I picked a near "virgin" T block, SN# 13839337(June of '26), a nice late hog's head, pan, rods and mains. The block has already been bored .030 over like my current block, so I should be able to keep my new aluminum pistons. My current dilemma is what crank to use. I could use a stock or even a counter balanced T crank, but I think I want something stouter as I plan to add a Model C RAJO OHV setup to the mix this time and don't want to break anything. I am tempted to go with an A crank with insert bearings and full pressure oiling so that I can mill, port and polish my C RAJO and punch the block WAY over to run multiple carbs and posibly an early supercharger.

Here are a few new pics.

1)A friend and I heading out for a cruise in last weekend.
    2)My new block for the "Big" motor
    3)What I want my "Big" motor to look like
    4)improved the ol' paint job a bit.
    5)Giving a elderly friend a ride for his 90th birthday..he had a blast!

Attached Files:

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dude your "T" is so rad. I love the top on it and the new coated exhaust. Greay looking car man!

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

8. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

ModelTTom,
    Have you read the book "T Model Tommy"? I read it last year. Your name reminded me of it. Nice roadster by the way.:D

9. Cool! Hope some young guy or gal gives me a ride in a cool vintage car if I reach ninety!

10. mk2grimace

mk2grimace
    from Australia

That is so cool, much praise to you for avoid being seduced by billet rims and chev crate engines!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! I am very much a traditionalist....Billit, crate motors, etc are some peoples' favorite look, but its just "not my bag".

I love the early days of Hot Rodding, when hopped up Ts and As ruled the dry lakes and the Flathead V-8 were the new "hot" thing.

The major influences for this car were the "Multy" Aldrich '23 T roadster and the R. Hodge '23 T touring, both built in the late 1920s or early 30s.

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

...Here are also a few pics of the recent front axle rebuild and a little something I "came across"....a picture of "my roadster" in April of 1931. The car is not finished yet and show the "original" builder at the wheel and his younger brother riding shotgun for a test run.

Enjoy!

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

lets try that again....

Attached Files:

14. Wow! That last picture is great! I just can't get enough of your roadster. I have a similar project waiting in the wings in "parts collecting" stage ('27 roadster on an A chassis/A powered) and everytime your car comes up, I want to push my current project out of the way and get going on the T!

What is the story on the vintage picture? Any more shots? -mikethegreek

15. ELD

ELD

16. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Say MrModelT,
    My Dad told me that Model T's had a "flapper" oil system rather than a oil pump. Is that true or was Dad nipping at the sherry again? Did you modify your oil system?

PS
    Your T is one of the most balanced beautiful car I have seen in a long time. :)

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

FredK,

You Dad was not nipping at the sherry and is correct....but I wouldn't mind a snort myself :)

The Model Ts have a splash type oiling system that is simply splashed around by the flywheel mostly seeing how there is not much oil below the rods respectfully. Most of the oil is in the planetary transmission. For this reason, it is hard on a T to run up steep grades for a long period of time and why the oil must kept up ALL THE TIME!

The Ts are 4 1/2 to 5 quart motors....I run 6 1/2 in mine all the time and what is nice is that it doesn't care, she just says "Great, more oil!" and proceeds to burn it, spray it and leak it out on the ground....everything but keep it in the pan where it belongs :)

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Cactus1,

The vintage pic is just one that I made up. I had come a cross the original photo on the net and marveled at how close it was to my car....so I photoshopped in the headlights off my roadster and PRESTO! we have a period pic of my car in the early 30's for the fake "Histroy" I have been working on, just for the heck of it.

19. ...Oops... I should have looked more carefully before arguing your case on the other thread...:rolleyes::D

STILL and ALWAYS one of my fevorite builds!!!

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Mac,

No harm, No foul :) I guess I did a good job with it tho...

21. I thought the similarities were uncanny. The headlights, rad cap, but especially the frame horns. Well done. While I've got your attention, what did you use for top irons? I remember seeing the top install, but I can't remember any info on the bows. I must say, the top is what makes it for me.

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Cactus,
    I thought I had posted somwe info on that before. The bow assembly was made from hand bent aluminum tube fitted with simple plastic joints (basiclly like a boat top). This makes it light and easy to fold. It's probablly not the most period correct materials, but it was cheap, simple and easy to work with.

Attached Files:

23. Cool. Thanks.

24. bill thomas

bill thomas
    from WA USA

I also have a '26 roadster, in pieces...yours looks great! Please send more details(how did you lower it, engine and transmission, etc)

Thanks
    Bill

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Got to be my favourite thread on the HAMB and has been for a while...

26. MrModelT
    I really dig your car - it KICKS ASS!
    Man how I wish we all lived closer! So then we could all cruise together etc!
    I like how you lowered yours too

Attached Files:

27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great car MrModelT! I love it. The old photo you did, fooled me, I thought it was a modern photo made to look old. Someone on the HAMB posted this link to convert pics to make them old. Check it out....

http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds

Click on "English" near the top of the page

Attached Files:

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

bill thomas,

Most of the tech drawings and write ups for your questions should already be here in this thread earlier on, but I don't mind reposting.

...So for those who are just tuning in :)...

First off, she is all T front to back (first thought with most is that it is on an A frame). The ’26 mill has been bored .030” over and runs aluminum racing pistons to lighten the top end. I had the original cam re-ground with a much taller .280 race grind, similar to the old dirt track racers of the 20’s and topped this off with a full set of stainless steel valves. The magneto magnets on the flywheel were removed lightening it by 75 pounds, an old trick to get more RPMs which yields about 200 (ups the redline to about 2000 from 1800). Behind the Stock T planetary trans is an original accessory <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Chicago </ST1:p</st1:City>“Mark-E” auxiliary overdrive with a “Granny” low, standard T in direct and 3 ¼ to 1 ratio in overdrive. I’m currently running a stock head, but will get a High compression head soon. The car is currently breathing through a single barrel carb off and early 60’s Ford Falcon (the newest part on the car). With the engine mods and the overdrive, she cruises real nice at 55 all day.
    <O:p
    </O:p
    The frame is stock T with a few mods. The front modded with a set of frame horns from a 1912 Cadillac 30 in order to use the fork mount ’15 <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Franklin</st1:City></ST1:p headlights and as a subtle profile changer. The rear was done in much the same fashion but with the front clip from a ’23 or ’24 Buick. The front suspension was lowered using the old “<st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pLaurel</ST1:p</st1:City>” underslung brackets. The rear was lowered the same amount (almost on accident) by splitting the rear axle housing and switching sides (right on the left and left on the right). This put the spring perches on the bottom and with a set of hand made extended shackles got the finished stance. To complete the chassis, wire wheels were installed, with ’26-’27 Model T 21” wires up front and ’28-’29 Model A 21” wires in the rear for a not so spindly look in back. The original Model T steering system was abandoned in favor of a stronger column/gear box from ’24 Willys- Knight and “push-pull” type steering. The steering arms and drag link were donated by a ’25 Buick and possibly a teen’s era Dodge.

Hope this helps.

ForEverFour,

To true, it is a shame. I think our 2 Ts would look great together chasing each other down the interstate on the way to Bonneville....:)

327-365hp,

Thanks for the link! I think I have converted 10 or 15 pics already!

<O:p

Attached Files:

29. Hey!, I posted that. I wondered when it would come back around. Awesome!

30. Hey Guys,

Look what I finally decided to pick up(see photo)..a 27, I'm supposed to get all the fenders, decklid, hood, radiator shell and maybe the top bows No windshield though. The current owner is still lookin for all the parts and I've given him a deposit. I've never really been into T's, and this thread has made me do some thinking, but I have the 50 woodie to finish and a 40 DeLuxe Ford in the wings..I guess it doesn't get any better....LOL
    MrModelT looks like I'll be PMing you as well....
    Murph

Attached Files: