Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Indy... 1957... Again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 13, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Very cool find ... thanks for posting it!

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The last part made me dizzy but it was still neat to watch.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice Score! That baby blue shark finned indy car was pretty bitchin' huh? I am also loving the new Indy Ad at the bottom. I t makes me want to throw away my normal Firestones and order some of them delicious new Speed rated Tire that came out a month or two back. Very cool.

5. Very cool !! I need one of those pit steward hats >>>>.

6. Scott K

Scott K

Thanks Ryan...love the vintage footage even with the nausea inducing camera work. Wish I could have been there in Indy's prime.

And X2 on the alliance ad. Very cool.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Do you think 40 years from now we'll look back at the 2009 Indy 500 with the same nostalgic wonder?

8. BLAKE

BLAKE

Nice... I dig the camera panning the cars at speed from the infield... real neat stuff!

9. BlueHowler

BlueHowler

Thanks for the Indy 500 posts. I look back 41 years to 1968, the only time I attended, and it was a real hot rod race. Some odd entrants did not qualify, but check this link for the starting grid. http://www.indy500.com/stats/view/grid/year/1968

A group of us from BFGoodrich drove over and back from Akron in one day. We had seats in the chute between turn 1 and 2. Two memorable events: 1)the leading turbine, who might have lapped the field, coasting by dead silent near the end of the race and awhile later Bobby Unser roaring by in the lead, and 2) a single car wreck in turn 1 where we could see parts flying into the air as it scaped the wall coming our way. We were in the fourth row. As the flying parts got closer the first row jumped back to the 2nd row, those two rows jumped to the third, etc. We all ended up in about the seventh row.

On the way home we made a pit stop and in the bathroom mirror saw our faces were covered with black rubber powder and white limestone or whatever they used to soak up the fluids from the wreck. The day was pure heaven.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Just like my Dad's home movies......imfamous for cutting the heads off people.:D

Thanks for posting that Ryan. Made my excitment level increase 10 fold.

I will though cuz it's going to be my first time going.:D

11. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Cool video. Thank you for sharing.

12. koth

koth

That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I went up a couple times, on carburetion day in the late 80's. It was really cool. You could walk the entire infield, and see darn near all the cars on the track at one time or another. I sat at turn 3 and you could "see" the different speeds of the cars, to the point you could guess how fast each one was going before the announcer told you on the loud speaker how fast each car was going. It was a blast.

13. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Hey Ryan,

This home movie is cool! You can almost hear "Back Home In Indiana" and feel some humidity in the air. Yea those pith helmets are quaint aren't they. I think I was out washing my Mom's car while I listened to the race on the radio that day. It always got me... the sound the cars made passing by the stationary microphone... kind of like sssscccczzzzzzzzooooooooooooooooo

14. autobilly

autobilly

Cool (if a little poorly shot) movie. Somehow managed to capture the feeling of excitement of race day. Also nice to be able to enjoy a video post on TJJ.

15. gagray

gagray
    from Tulsa

Geez, not a single RV in the infield!

16. That was just neat - love the music as well. I always tried to find the 'blues' on a Chicago or Texas station at that point in time.
    My dad and I sent for our tickets just after that race - for '58. Thanks.

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Nice post Ryan, I love the amateur feel of the film, makes the nostalgia meter go way up.....Reminds me of my Dad's 8mm home movies where he always panned too fast afraid he was going to miss something......the music is very cool...I listen to the blues 24-7........

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Thanks Ryan, I did enjoy the hell out of it. I'm a big blues fan so please tell me who did the music. It amazes me how narrow the track looks with those big cars, two and three wide at 140 mph. That first car being towed in the pits is Paul Russo in a Novi, he finished 4th. Sam Hanks won the race easily in '57 after being runner up the year before. He was driving the #9 Belond Exhaust Special. A new "laydown" roadster prepared by crew chief George Salih.The Offy motor was laid almost horizontal at 72 degrees. The cowl was only 21" high. Sam Hanks retired in the winners circle after 17 years of trying to win the big race. His car would win again in '58 with Jimmy Bryan driving.

19. joebuick

joebuick

where do you keep finding such great videos? that was great keep sharing.

20. woodythx138

woodythx138

Wow great footage and to think I realy know the 57 rookie of the year Don Edmonds and
    see him once a year in Fresno ,ca as well as a phone call now and then, a truly greater guy you will never find.Thanks for the movie great stuff.Chris

21. flamingokid

flamingokid

Keep 'em coming,Ryan.

22. burbanite

burbanite

23. Tampa 3-W Duce Coupe

Tampa 3-W Duce Coupe
    from tampa

Thanks Ryan for the good video...
    Music was great! Wonder who it was?
    It was funny to see no RV's there...
    Every car in that parking lot could drive right into a classic car show today....

24. RAY With

RAY With

Execellent movie. Got a little dizzy watching the round and round but got over it when I got my bag of popcorn. Thanks for shareing.

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I was wondering that myself. I found it on I-tunes. Song is called Hitchhiking Woman by John Hammond Jr, Peter Green did a version too, that's why it sounded familiar to me.

26. rick finch

rick finch

It really captured the sensation of speed...thanks for sharing.

27. mow too much

mow too much

Cool Ryan thanks.

28. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

EVERY YEAR in the month of May - I wish I was born at a time were I could have been part of INDY - 48 to 75