Register now to get rid of these ads!

Logo Insight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., May 13, 2009.

1. I was hoping that some of you guys here could throw some ideas at me here for a logo I am trying to have finished up. I have been trying to come up with a plain logo for about a year now and decided what the theme is that I am going for since I am ready and really need cards, flyers and shirts made up. I have a graphics designer throwing things together but trying to give him more info on what I'm looking for. First off the business is mostly mobile detailing and paint work but some custom stuff on the side. I am doing high end luxury vehicles like Jags, Mercedes, Bently, Masseratti (sp?), etc. I am also doing high end classic cars and hot rods.
    Anyways the theme I am going for is a chrome emblem. My plan is to go for a gloss black card with chrome writing and logo as if it were a hood emblem or such. I have seen the reflective chrome done on cards (pricey I know) and I thought it would stand out especially if I get decals made up for my old 66 F100 for the doors with black paint. I am going with old script writing which has already been done and the logo part I want something like Bently style wings or the old straight across styled wings but not sure what to do in the middle. There is the plain circle and then I was thinking a 32 Ford grill but I need it to tie into the wings which will be chrome so I'd like an outline only of the grill or whatever it will be... I was thinking of a gear as well or such but not sure. Pretty much I want a classy but vintage/old feel to it.
    If anyone has any suggestions or ideas of what can be thrown in the middle of the wings then it would be greatly appreciated! As for the card and the lettering I am thinking all chrome or maybe red outline or center on the letters or whatever I go with in the middle.
    Thanks!

2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

How about the V8 ford symbol??

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Why don't you just relay all this to the GD so he can work on it... if that isn't enough to go by you need a new GD!

4. I did run it by him and told him my ideas. He put them together but didn't come up with nothing that I liked. They were way too fancy and one looked like a coke bottle top, another was a wheel with the wings around it like the hockey team or some other auto logo I have seen and then the wings had way too much detail and rounded edges too it and a circle and a "P" in the middle.
    I just didn't care for any of the comps he had besides the lettering. I told him to give me a day or two to come up with exactly what I want in the middle and I will have to draw it out and give it to him. His style is different I guess but has done some amazing work on other things so that is why I tried him out. He just isn't into the old vintage style of things like I am.

5. hamiltonintakes

hamiltonintakes
    from Chico, CA

You have given a good description about what you would like to see in a logo. Nothing against the current guy, but if he is not doing it for you then try a different graphic designer. You can still have your original guy do the rest of the work, but someone else might make something more agreeable.

If you need, I can recommend some other designers.

6. Any recommendations would be great. I still want this guy to do it because I am paying a LOT for it to be done. The guy works for a huge TV Network (I wont name any names because I dont want to give anyone a bad rep because like I said the guy does GREAT work just not my style I guess. Is there someone here that can do a basic comp that I can present him and have him finish for a decent price. I have ran out of money and on a limited budget so I wont be able to pay ANOTHER designer to make me a logo. I want something plain and simple, vintage but classy looking and that stands out and looks like a emblem and script writing. I want the business cards, my shop truck door logo, website and logo on the shirt to look uniform and stand out and match everything I use it on. I just want people to see the logo locally and KNOW who I am and what I do unlike some places around here who have stickers on their car with their phone number and name or a logo that is so busy I would never remember it because it has pictures and doesn't even match their cards, website or shirt.
    Thanks again guys!

7. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

As a designer you sound like my worst nightmare, haha.
    Seriously, you just described exactly what you want however,
    contrary to your second sentence, this is not a plain logo.
    Also the fact that you have been working on it for a year would
    scare the hell outta' me. I think your best bet is to find a logo in
    a similar style that you like and let your designer go from there.
    That isn't the way I like to design but it sounds like you know
    what you want you just need to show him somehow. I think an
    existing logo for reference is the quickest and easiest way to go.
    Good Luck!

8. Haha yeah I would be my own worst nightmare as well! It's not that I have been working on it for a year, I have been doing my business plan and getting the business going and thoughts on how I am going to do the logo for a year I just didn't specify that. I gave him a CD with logos that I liked with wings in chrome like the Bently wings, etc. I guess I will have to draw some things up and give it to him. As for being simple, what I mean by that is the overall logo, not making it. Sure making it isn't easy but I dont want something with a bunch of detail in it that's all...

9. The two logos that I like the most are here:
    www.jalopyjournal.com/spun/
    www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com
    I like the outline on the Spun logo which is how I want mine with the black background, chrome outline and then I like the wings and layout on the hot rod chassis website but just not the start in the middle. I thought about replacing the circle with the 32 or 34 Ford grill or do SOMETHING in the middle but I like exactly how that layout is with the writing under neath and the name up top, etc.
    I will throw these two ideas at my graphics designer and see what he can do. If it doesn't turn out right then I will have to contact someone on here. :eek:

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

I'd be willing to give it a shot. PM me if he doesn't work out.

11. I GOT IT!!!
    Haahahaa, ok I'm not a "GD" or an artist for that matter. But I've been drinking and bored and really think the totem pole/hood ornament look is cool so I sketched this up. Many variations of this are possible, but you WILL end up with something like this:

(Hahaa!..you know you want it :D )

Attached Files:

12. i dont really have a dog in this hunt , but does fancy cards really make a difference?
    why not something really simple that just reads ..
    "i build cars , any kind of car in anyway!!

personally i prefure a few explicatives or however the fuck you spell it!:D

13. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Put "wings logo" in Google Images, take your pick and hand it over to the gd GDer. ;)

14. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Give me a shot. I do this 24/7. No logo should take a year to do!

15. Comet, great work for being drunk man! haha As for the name it isn't SMF Speed & Custom haha but nice try.
    If any of you guys here do GD on the side or as a business then throw some of your work on here and I will go through one of you then if needed. I have seen a few people on here who do amazing work.

16. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

You need to have either chaddilac or toot do your work! They are both extremely talented, have a great eye, and will be able to capture the look/feel that you are going for.

17. rougebeats

rougebeats

Whats the name going to be? We need some more details to do anything for ya. I can whip something up rather quick with some more details.

18. rougebeats

rougebeats

Heres what I came up with real quick

Attached Files:

19. Crappy cards definitely make a difference. :eek: :rolleyes:
    But not in your favor.

Business cards are part of your companies image.
    It might be the first thing a potential customer sees.

So if you had to choose between two companies, everything else being equal, why would you choose the one with crappy cards?

20. haha, the morning after sucks. Did I really do that?:eek:

...yep, I see that drawing in the garbage. :D