Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats a stronger rear? S-10 or stock chevy II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay.S, May 12, 2009.

1. Jay.S

Jay.S

Hello, I'm building a chevy II gasser and I have two rear ends, I am wondering if I could use one of them behind a stock 350 chevy? I have one from a S-10 and another from a stock 64 chevyII. I am just worried that they might not be strong enough? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks Jay.S

2. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I don't think either one will be very strong. Are you planning on running slicks. If you are I don't believe either will last long. I would try and find a 9 inch or 12 bolt

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If you want period correct, find an early Olds or Pontiac rearend. However, 9" Fords are easier to find and plenty of aftermarket support.

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

The S-10 is a 7 1/2 ring gear...I have no idea what the Chevy ll is , but I bet the S-10 axels are stronger

5. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

57-64 Olds or Pontiac is your best bet for a period correct strong rear. 9" Ford would be my second choice. The S-10 & stock Chevy II rears will get you down the road in a pich but don't jump on it too many times.

6. richie rebel

richie rebel

stock nova is a 10 bolt,which is stronger than a s10 rear

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A '64 Chevy II rear has an 8.2 inch ring gear.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Many moons ago I put an 8 3/4 Mopar rear in from a Dodge Dart in a '63 Nova it was 1 1/2" narrower and the u-joint cups are the same diameter,leaf spring location was almost identical, almost a bolt in swap.

9. GRADY

GRADY

The 8.2 is a ealier version of the ten bolt that is chevy specific....the BOP that is much better is also an 8.2 rear but way stronger than the chevy one is...the 8.2 is actually a ten bolt just not as durable as the later ten bolt(8.5 inch)

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The 64 Chevy II is, as already noted, an 8.2 inch ring gear, and is "basically" the same as thye 55-64 full size Chevrolets. I say "basically", because it is a LIGHTWEIGHT version; the good thing is, is that the full size car rear will swap in. I'm referring to 3rd members here. It still leaves you with the small axles/brakes, but if this is a street car, and not a racer, you'll be fine. And, as you've already said, you already have it, so use it. The S-10 is like already stated, a 7.5 inch ring gear and would need to be adapted, while the Chevy II is a bolt in. Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Jay.S

Jay.S

Thanks guys for all the info, much appreciated! Jay.S

12. Depends on the year. 62-3 models use the 4 lug rear, but it uses the 3rd member from a 55-64 full size. 64 up were 10 bolts...ahh whats the use, put a 9" in it!

13. The S-10 rear is narrower at about 56 1/4" verses the near 57 3/4" stock Chevy II rear. The 64 rear should be 5 lug as well. Run the one that has the best gear ratio. You won't break either on any time soon, unless you are really twisting some serious power and unloading it on a set of sticky sticky slicks. The Chevy II is so light and hooking up traction is a joke because of wheel hop with leafsprings. You will be fine with either. Check Steve's Nova Site to get more info on rear swaps for Chevy II.

14. NeverEnuf

NeverEnuf
    from Louisiana

Hey a very few 4wd s-10s came with an 8.5 rearend...but it is 3.5-4 inches wider.

I like the Olds idea, also 8-3/4 dodge is cool.