Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Dodge tranny, need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sincitysled52, May 11, 2009.

1. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

I have a 52 Dodge Coronet with the original flat head straight six in it and 3 on the tree (still a 6 volt system also). I'm not able to get it to shift into first gear, I checked all my linkage and it all works fine. I was convinced it was the tranny. I took it to a local tranny shop and they told me that it was stuck in overdrive and thats why it wasn't allowing me to put it in first. Between the time it would take to track down the parts and the price, it would not be cost effective to fix it. I'm better off just picking up a new motor and tranny and dropping it in, but I like my flat head so I told them to go fly a kite, Anyway, a friend of mine offered me a Prest-o-matic transmission today out of a 53, but I'm really lost when it comes to Dodge motors and trannys. WIll it fit? Can I bolt it right in? Is it a good idea? the price is right, it's free 99!
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. I'm not familiar enough with the '53 Prestomatic, but the '52 should have either a Fluid Drive or a Gyromatic. All my cars have been Fluid Drive. Is it possible it's Gyromatic, and stuck in high range?

3. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

It might be, Is that the one thats half auto and half manual?

4. 73RR

73RR

5. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

It Would help alot if you took some pictures for us. As far as i have seen most Desoto's ,Chrysler's and higher end mopars had the fluiddrive where i have seen hit or miss on the dodge's and plymouth's equiped with the fluid drive. One sure way to tell you have a fluid drive unit is pull your carpet ..find the access panel. There are 2..its the bigger one near passenger side on trans tunnel..shine some light down there, if you see solenoid and a few wires going to them ..its a fluiddrive..also if you happen to have wiring going from carb to tranny its also fluiddrive. Hope this helps.

6. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

I'm going out to the garage....now! I'll be back

7. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

Fluiddrive. Thank you guys a ton at least now I know what I've got to work with.
    I'll post some pics of progress, let me know what you guys think.

8. hold on there just a second- the Dodge Fluid Drive is NOT the same as the Chrysler/Desoto.

The Dodge Fluid Drive DOES NOT HAVE SOLENOIDS. It is a 3 speed manual transmission with a standard clutch, attached to a fluid coupler (like a torque converter)

The Dodge GYROMATIC has solenoids, and is a dual range manual/automatic. As I said before, all of my cars have been Fluid Drive, so I'm not exactly sure the driving procedure for Gyromatic, but I guess it's a weird one.

9. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

alright here's the deal, it won't go down to what I thought was first so I put it in second and start driving. When I let off the pedal it goes "clunk" and when I re gas it it feels like it's now in another gear. That has to be that M6 tranny right? That would be some b*tch if I've just been driving it wrong. FNG's LOL

10. Not as much of a bitch as it would be if you toasted the clutch.
    Do learn how to drive that trans. It is nearly bulletproof, but not idiot-proof. The clutch requires MAJOR effort to change, definitely NOT the same as any other manual trans. And it is undersized in relation to a clutch that is expected to be used on every shift, vs. just the once per drive, like a Fluid Drive.
    Cosmo

11. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

Feels like the clutch is working good so that s a relief. Thanks again fellas for all your help. Can anyone recommend a good website with some performance parts for this 230 flathead straight 6? and when I say performance, I mean look cool under the hood cuz I know Im not gonna be layin down rubber.LOL maybe headers for it?

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If you have the clunk o matic, go to the Imperial club website and check out the trasmission section of the repair area. What ever they were called the m6 was used in dodges, desoto, chryslers and some dodge pickups. They are basically all the same unit with a different namd Gyromatic tip toe, fluid torque drive. truck o matic. Chrysler slapped the term fluid drive on a bunch of drive trains. To my knowledge nearly 99 % of Dodges were fluid drive but some were regular three speeds and some were gyromatic (clunk o matic) and none of the m6's had OD. If I am correct (not ever haveing an m6) reverse is where revers should be, the two dforward ranges are where 2nd and 3rd would be on a three speed. low range is only good to about 20 mph. high range low gear is good to about 18mph, then th upper gear kicks in for driving. The low range is for getting load moving, starting out with a trailer, and engine braking on steep down grades.

Take a good read of the technicians publication on the imperial site.

The wiring needs to be right for correct shifting, the governor senses the road speed and allows the solenoid to effect the shift at proper speeds, The is also a line to that grounds the coil during the shift so the car is basically coasting during the shift.