Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrecking cool cars for movies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teisco, May 12, 2009.

1. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had a million--W C Fields.

Not for the 32 Ford squeamish.

A 32 Ford Phaeton get smashed in the beginning.
    At the end a brand new 32 Ford fordor gets smucked right out of the dealership.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDSW-ybm0mg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDSW-ybm0mg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfIoKTTZuUo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfIoKTTZuUo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<

2. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Somebody mentioned the Dukes of Hazzard. I read somewhere that around 300 were used for the original series and another 15-20 for the movie that came out a while back. There was also a Corvette convertible that was dropped out of a plane in Con Air.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. Enjenjo is right. Do a search on YouTube. The car crushed was actually a 2 door wagon........ they did the old switcherooo.

4. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

let me know when you find a DVD copy

5. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

God those old flicks are a riot.
    Car bashings are as sad a the old junkyards.

6. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

If you look at the charger it was a left over general lee from the dukes of hazzard remake you can see the orange paint underneath the black after its been hit. I was more pissed about the challenger getting destroyed

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

People have no respect for each other and some how they will care about a car?

8. alchemy

alchemy

How about making "cars" specifically to wreck in movies? In an old Street Rodder mag they did a story on Stan Betz, the painter. He collects and restores 1920's miniature Model T's and such that were made by that era's special FX department to "blow up". Each about two feet long, and almost fully functional, minus the engine. Skilled craftsmen made them of real steel and paint, but Laurel and Hardy destroyed them.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

with all the digital effects these days there is no reason to wreck an actual car.:confused:

the new Indiana Jones movie wrecked a nice 49 Chevy sedan.

oh the horror!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I was watching the movie "Sweet & LowDown" a few weeks ago and there is a scene where a beautiful 38 Cadillac drives up to a gas station and they do a real close zoom-in on the grill of the Caddy (which is the grill I use in my custom) and I look at my wife and say something like "look how perfect that grill is" - it was so much nicer than the one I have. Those are cast grills and they are all lumpy from the casting except for the leading edge, but this grill, someone had taken the time to smooth out all the casting lumps on the inside edges (which is something I have been contemplating for years, but it would be an insane amount of work to file all those surfaces in all those hundreds of little squares). Someone had devoted a hell of a lot of time on that grill & it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

In the very next scene they use that grill to T-bone another neat old 30's car.

And for what? a so-so movie.

11. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I still cringe whenever I think of vanishing point... and I'm not even into muscle cars...

12. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

as stated before most movie cars are clones. fiberglass and paint made to look the part. very few real cars are destroyed. early movies did waste good cars but nobody cared they were just cars to them not collector items as they are now. a friend of mine is a goofer in hollywood and has worked on movie cars. he told me about having to sand and paint dozens of fake trim pieces for stunt cars. all smoke and mirrors.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

dan, i saw that too. just about choked on my popcorn.

14. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Sign me up!!!

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jeez tingler- i think i know where you are coming from, to a certain extent.

but really, i just like to go fast...

16. aceuh

aceuh

Tingler..I think you'd get a kick out of http://www.willitblend.com/ .

They've got videos of the latest greatest electronics (phones, games, ipods) being ran through a blender.

Probably not near as dramatic as seeing an expensive car destroyed...but entertaining none the less.

17. 29SX276

29SX276

Look at all the neat 'ol tin that was destroyed in the series"The Untouchables";still makes me twitchy!
    Yeah,I'm dating myself!!

18. Hmmmmm! I disagree, I just like cars. :rolleyes:

19. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

I never saw the entertainment value in destroying a car...be it a clone, fliberglass mock up or what ever.

20. Actually, they bought a lot of fastbacks for that movie. But they only needed one. It lasted threw all of the chase scene. It even hit a telephone pole and kept going.

21. [​IMG]

:( RIP salvage title 4 door rusty buick - i loved you more than indiana jones did.

22. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

They get ubber pissed when you blow up old people. :D

23. Eeeewwww ... that one got to me, too!! :mad:

24. How 'bout our boy, Steve, in "Bullet" ... with the '67 'stang ... but, hey it was Steve McQueen ... so I guess it was cool ... I guess ... hmmm ... maybe not .... :(

25. Oh yeah ... who could forget the '34 in Bonny and Clyde. Yow!

26. wazza

wazza
    from australia

The 34 ford cabriolet from the Rocketeer is alive and well in Australia.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think it was a fake, Tim Allen is actually a car guy and i don't think he would have stood for that.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they kept repairing and painting the cars as fast as they could, they had a fleet of police cars too,since they were wrecked far more often the the general, from what i understood every time they did a jump they trashed a car.,sorry wrong quote was talking about the dukes of hazzard

29. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I heard for dukes of hazzard they did some shots with 68's and 70's as well. still kinda sad.
    same thing with stephen kings Christine, smashing up 57 and 58's. crying shame.

30. 62nova

62nova

Who cares if they're fakes or clones. They should destroy 100 toyotas and hondas for each of these " fakes"!