Register now to get rid of these ads!

Burnouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lttlelindsey, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

I would like to talk with someone who will explain to me the art of the perfect burnout. I have tried and can do it but the boys always say I wheel hop... Is there anyone out there that would like to explain this crap to me. I'm often the prideful type that doesn't like to ask but I wanna do this right. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    What is up with the wheel hop? Is it just due to the weight in the back? Am I laying on the gas too hard initially? Am I stymied by driving an automatic? Help a girl out... :eek:<o:p></o:p>

And please for the love of God be nice...

2. 62nova

62nova

Get some slapper bars.

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

Both feet on the gas.

4. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Dont do them in front of cops. (4 way stop intersection, 2 cars back)

5. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

Yeah but how am I supposed to hold don the break??? :confused:

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

traction bars. you can even make your own and be twice as cool.

wheel hop is when the suspension is allowed to load and unload rapidly, worst with leaf springs but I have seen 3rd gen camaros do it too, and can cause severe damage to u-joints.

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Impress the boys more by 'NOT' doin a burnout. Leaves more to the imagination of what you have under your hood?

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

What type of car/engine/rear setup are we talking about? Not every car can do "good" burnout.

9. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Cool, your place or... oh wait, sorry 'bout that :D ;)
    All kidding aside...

Are the shocks working OK?
    Are your reartires perfectly 'round'? Are the wheels true, straight and centered ok? (you should be able to feel this also when driving slowly if they are not.)
    Wheels balanced properly?
    Bent axle?

You could also try again with some more weight in the back to see if this changes anything.
    Perhaps tire-speed is too slow. Put the gearlever of the tranny in "2" and let it shift-up by itself. This should also get you more smokey burnouts.

You can also try practicing near a puddle of water to save the tires a bit while you're 'mastering the art' ;)

10. Try it in reverse, if that don't work, try a different car. I don't see how it would matter if the wheels are hopping as long as you're boiling the tires. A burnout is a burnout, maybe the guys are just jealous.

11. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

ah Leaf springs... yep got those... Traction bars... I must admit I know very little but I'm googling them. Looks like you can purchase them. How do these help? I can ask Sammy all this and yes I have good guys around me all the time but if I can build up some core knowledge first I'd be stoked.

I'm never gonna learn until I put pride aside and ask...

12. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

also to add to this..if you have really good tires that grip well..might be difficult to get them to break loose with the power you may have.

14. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

In addition to what 53sled mentioned, which is quite true, you could also try and clamp the front halfs of the leafsprings with some thick strips of metal and hardened bolts. This will make them act a little like a traction bar.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

While you're doing that perfect burnout at the light or stop sign the other guy is gone and laughing his ass off about 500 yards down the street while he proceeds to go about his life in a much more relaxed way.

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i dunno fellas...this problem might be hard to diagnose over the funny pages here....

maybe if we could see some video of you doing a burnout we can better analyze the way the tires are unloading.......?

anyone second that idea?

17. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

To each his own... I have no desire to do it at stop lights, just for fun at gatherings and such... but thanks for the always expected JAB... my skin is tough

18. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

I wish I had video of myself doing a burn out... I wanna show the grankids someday... ha ha.. its not too late... perhaps I can arrange this. For myself that is.

19. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

Ah ha! yep this too I am sure is having an effect. I do have good tires. :rolleyes:

20. wind her up to about 6500 rpm,dump the clutch and stand on the gas :D

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

isnt that more like a whole shot..or is it spelled Holeshot?

22. Back the rear brakes off a bit, that will help too.

23. skuzkitty

skuzkitty

Ha,when I do a burn out I just put her in low and one foot on brake the other on the gas pedal and hold on!!!!

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

26. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

Okay I can do that no problem. I wanna lay on it.. really smoke out the tires... you know... do exactly what I shouldn't do to my tires... and of course not all the time just once in a while... tee hee

27. Only a holeshot if he got the jump on another car..........he is solo there, just a hard lauch.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

True..but it illistrates the difference..if you see the other one i posted

29. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

... will you marry me...? ;) Just kidding.

30. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

ha ha okay that is just insane, I would like to find a good happy medium between the two videos.. it just feels so awesome to me when I am in control like that expelling so much power and just holding it in one place.. i dunno.. maybe I'm crazy. :eek:

Thanks for all the tips guys.. like I said my main concern other than the tires is not hurting the car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.