Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mini Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, May 10, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I have a very old late 40's to 50's cushman truckster with a single cylinder cast iron flat head configuration with a manual 3 spd tranny attached, like a real car, not those attached gear boxes on motorcycles. The rear end is a limited slip differential with a single leaf spring set up on top of axel and is attached to the frame by a wishbone type yolk. The front suspension at this point is independent but im gonna make a straight axel for it. Its been in my back yard a long time and some parts are missing, (major parts Electrical etc) so i dont want to restore it but instead make the remains into a mini hot rod of sorts, full bodied and all, leaning towards a model a. Wondered if any one around here has such a project or has done such a project, I need some input to get this thing rolling. Im gonna try to get some pictures up of the remains when i find my camera. Its gonna be a big long road ahead for me:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Anyone out there? Maybe i should have made it under a different title...

3. R Pope

R Pope

We need PICTURES!!!!!

4. 61bone

61bone

Sounds like something I would do. I say go for it and keep us posted.

5. KIRK

KIRK

My dad and uncle built a mini car for me from one of those about 50 years ago. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it but as I remember it was a rather simple build. Seems like dad used a front axel from a King Midget and the rest of the drive line was from the Cushman. I had it for maybe 6 or 7 years and it ran good and was very dependable and lots of fun. I'd say just look it over and keep it simple and it should turn out fine. Good luck.

6. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Put up some pictures, heres what i got to work with, not much left of it haha

7. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

What was the power output of your engine, i have no idea about this thing.

8. brownington_bomber

brownington_bomber

How would a shriners car body work proportionally? Could be a possibility.

9. dentprone

dentprone

I think I would fight a bear for that motor and trans, very nice. Now getcha a wheelbarrow.....:)

10. BPM F150

BPM F150
    from NASHVILLE

It sounds like a cool project. There were some factory built cars like that, back in the 50's, called the King Midget, I've never learned much about them prsonally but it might be a place to start researching for pictures and ideas. Ive seen a few homebuilt little cars at shows, and they make everybody smile, especially the driver! good luck with it.

11. I've got a mini quickchange that would look great with that! It's an Al Davis 3/4 midget q/c - I only have the case, side bells and rear cover but it's really small and would suit a project like that perfectly!

Steve

12. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I heard about those, i wouldnt even know where to begin to look for one:eek:

13. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

31vicky those are some cool little rods, im going for the outrageously real look, plumbing, gauges everything like the one farthest back, would be badass to find one with a straight 4 motorcyle engine in it.

14. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Very cool. Are those in a certain scale like 1/4?

15. Phil1934

Phil1934

I like this one

Attached Files:

16. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

cool mini rods

17. dentprone

dentprone

Cool pic, 31Vicky...thanks for posting that

18. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Im thinking about taking the axel off of the wishbone and fabricating a parallel for it. Anybody have any say? Would it be cooler with it?

19. Ice man

Ice man

Got any more info on the Junior Buddies, they look real neat.

20. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I think it was junior rodders not buddies :D

21. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I agree though you got any more pictures??

22. dentprone

dentprone

I would....I think it would look better. Gonna start building some links for my daughter's fairly soon.

23. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

Here's a Truckser that my students in autobody flaked.

Attached Files:

24. smaller than you want to build but, too cool not to post it someplace and it goes to show than anything is possible

25. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Right now im trying to figure out the leg room versus proportion problem, Ive hit a snag in building the frame, haha

26. Neat project! I have an old truckster too and have always wanted to build something similar. The little T Bucket's with lawn mower engines I remember seeing at NSRA shows a few years ago really turned me on. I'd bet the blue one above is one of them. Unfortunatly I could never get the guy selling them to tell me where I could buy a body. I've not seen one of the little Buckets at a show for a few years now. I hope someone on here can offer a source for some of these miniature bodies. I wonder if the best route might be to buy a full size glass T Bucket body and cut it down and glass it back together. That might be a way of building a miniature with out ending up with something the size of a go cart. Long live this thread!

27. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Hey guys, Going the gasser route! Ive found an old straight axel off of a small trailer in my back yard and im gonna be trying to run it with dual leaf springs.

28. skwurl

skwurl