Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autolite Spark Plugs - CHINA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspwr, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

whoa where did this guy come from ^^

2. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Hmm.

Attached Files:

3. ac/delco plugs, air filters are made in the usa. the oil filters don't say. delco stuff comes from all over the world. sometimes the same part numbers will have different countries on them.

4. Jonesey

Jonesey

I could really care less how good or bad any of them are. Unless it is going to sit in my dining room cabinet, "Made in China", will not be purchased by me. I could go into many reasons why, but this is not the place.

5. DozerMek

DozerMek
    from Chapman,KS

Here we go with something else being outsourced to China. It wouldn't surprise me if the schools started to teach Chinese in the near future.

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Here's the thing: a good portion of the stuff from China is /spec'ed/ to be the same by the buyer, but then is not /inspected/ to enforce it. In other words, the people in the plant cheat on quality (or the inspectors are bribed, etc). There are some exceptions to this; there are some high-quality goods coming from China, but generally only from plants that have rigorous QA and inspection policies put in by the buyer.

People worldwide are now catching wise to this. So these days if you outsource manufacturing to China, expect sales to drop.

7. I've been an Autolite user since the 60's. I haven't noticed where the last couple of sets I installed were from, but thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Anyone have a link to a spark plug crossover chart?

8. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

If you were to make all your plugs in the USA you could have an edge on the market. I know its cheaper in China but quality is better than price.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Well dude..yer being told you have a bit of a quality issue over there..and its going to hurt your sales..
    what are your plans to do something about it?
    or are you just going to stick your head in the sand and say everythings as good there as it is here?
    or..will this 1 post from you be the last we hear from you...??

10. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Motorking,
    Tell me where my Autolite #26 plugs came from that I put in my 350 Ci Chevy.
    I don't have the box nor am I going to pull one out to see where it was made

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well "MotorKing", you danced all around the question in my mind, but never answered it: Is Autolite now a part of Allied Signal or not?
    My experiences with Allied Signal haven't been good. First encounter with this conglomerate was on a purchase of glasspack mufflers for a 4X4. I had previously purchased a set from J.C. Whitney that were Mitchell brand that tested well in an old article in HRM, 2.5" ID core X 30" length. They worked and sounded great on 350 sbc with headers.
    Later ordered another set and what arrived was nothing like the first set, core was punched deeply around circumference from outside and effectively shrunk the ID to less than 2". The Mitchells were louvered, with the louver from inside out, leaving a full 2.5" ID core. The parent corp. name of the the maker of the new style that I sent back? Allied Signal!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fram was once the top brand of filters for autos and light/medium trucks. Consumers Guide did a test a number of brans several years ago and rated Fram the overall top brand.
    Next Allied Signal bought Fram, and now the filters they produce are such junk that I wouldn't use them if you gave them to me.
    I'm guessing Allied Signal must buy the brand names, then farm out the production to the lowest bidder with QC people who have a good "supplementary source of income"! Now it seems the same fate may have hit Autolite. How else can you explain blowing the porcelain center out of a steel base?
    Now, "Motor King" if you can come up with somethiong more in depth and technical than your almost incomprehensible (due to some sort of weird stuff in the post instead of punctuation) public relations style very first post on H.A.M.B., then have at it.
    Dave

12. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

i understand what your saying here... everyone remember just how good that chinese steel is, HAHA, last i checked it was far inferior to U.S. steel.. i know from a tool and die stand point its about 1/2 the quality as U.S. Steel. and i'm sure the ceramic/porcelain is of the same chinese shit quality, just as castings out of china are generally softer and more porous...

I hope all the companies fall on thier faces with lawsuits from liability claims from people that have bought inferior chinese crap and have had it put on thier cars... it would be a strong case..

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Remember what we're dealing with here.
    The government of China owns China, man, woman, child and moo-goo-gaipan, and runs the show in every way.
    In China the word is "China way or the highway".
    You get a shipment of junk out-of-spec goods from China, they'll be happy to make you a run of goods up to spec but don't expect credit for what you got the first time.
    It is an expensive and devastating lesson to learn for the un-initiated.

14. suprised anyone would make crappy products there...didnt the govt quality inspector "commit suicide" when the whole anifreeze in toothpaste thing came out,,Chi Coms will just make "corrections" Ha Ha

15. H3O

H3O

mine said usa before i put them on. rather use the one's from mexico befroe china. still american. that sucks. i saw one set of ac's made in japan, never saw another one. workin at a parts store you'll see stuff that ain't right (morally). :mad:

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

There are so many Americans out of work. I, for the life of me, can not understand why these products have to be sent out of this country. Be American, Buy American. Or Be American, Hire American. Its a stab in the backs for every single man or woman who has died protecting this great land.

Fuck you greedy bastards. Selling out Americans, for pennies.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Notice after the tongue lashing Mr. Sparky got..he decided it was best to stay on the porch and lick his balls:eek:

18. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Very simple gang... Every single product you buy is slowly going down in quality, thanks to the Wal-Mart mentality of the buying power of the USA. Air conditioners, can openers, spark plugs, boxer shorts.... ALL going down in quality due to the desire for profits -- always searching for the cheaper source.

The scary part is that every single item -- from the airplanes you fly in to the medical machines that save your grandma, all have parts that are or will be soon coming from places with absolutely no quality control of any kind.

It's absolutely scary.

Pete

19. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Your'e right. It's everything we buy now is fucked up. My 5 yr old Kenmore
    washer (Sears took a shit today) Last one went 20+ years. They cost more
    and are made cheaper. That's the American way nowadays!

20. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

21. Imagine what would happen if nobody made them?

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

True..but what they are building is very close to that..or right on the mark..so theres a taste of what and where you dont wanna go for your shtuff

23. Salad shooter=Cheap wedding gift
    Who cares if it'll never be used?
    BTDT

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  24. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I think you will find that Bosch is a German company, not that it makes it bad, just not U.S.A.

25. Partial quote from - dirty old man -

Now, "Motor King" if you can come up with somethiong more in depth and technical than your almost incomprehensible (due to some sort of weird stuff in the post instead of punctuation) public relations style very first post on H.A.M.B., then have at it.
    Dave

The reason that the punctuactions and wording are all messed up in "Motor King" 's post is : the use of an automatic web translator. Press an button to turn Chinese words into an English translation. Who cares about quality of the post - the English language reader will sort of figure some of it out. Remember that Chinese stuff is not about quality!<!-- / message -->

26. inliner54

inliner54

I have always run AC plugs in my stuff but i just noticed the plugs on my 06 GMC and it has NGK plugs in it!!!!!! they must not use delco plugs anymore??

27. Or was that the Milk/Melamine problem ?
    Maybe the Children's Toys/Lead paint problem ?
    Or one of the 1000s that we never hear about.

Cost more money to do business over here for a reason.

Fuck Walmart.

28. Tiger II

Tiger II

I have mentioned this elsewhere on the HAMB, but here it goes again. BEWARE! some dentists and orthodontists are having bridges, crowns etc. manufactured in China. With the push of an "enter" button the specs for the item to be made show up in a 24 hour manufacturing plant and within 12 hours are crafted(churned out) and packaged for shipment. Next day air generally gets them back to the States and after a few days they end up in some unsuspecting mouth. And the patient, not being told this is completely unaware. Generally the price difference goes right into the dentists pocket.
    Nothing from China goes in me, my family, my pets or my garage. At least until they cash in our dept, then who knows?

29. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

The object of running a business is more than making a profit. It is to provide jobs to your community. Standing behind a Communist, is like standing behind a cow. They are peasants.

As George Bush said: you are either with us, or against us.

When the CEO is making millions because of shareholders, the shareholders vote count. Hiring CEO's to sell shares, is different than hiring CEO's to produce jobs and quality products. If the company is public and selling shares, then they are in China to stay. You can't have your stock price rise if you only hire Americans, because the overhead is too high. You have to be in business for a reason other than share price. Buy from private companies if you can. In this case, I don't think there are any private companies making plugs though.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.