Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some Buick/Halibrand help down under

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveC, May 11, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC
    from Australia

I have just fitted a early Halibrand diff in my 32 five window and have struck what i hope is a small problem hopefully someone can help me with. I have used 36 housings and have adapted early f100 ends and axles that are 5 0n 5 1/2 stud patern. I now want to fit early Buick finned drums which i have but need to know what backing plates and brakes every one uses. The drums are 13" in diamater while the F100 ones are 12". Any info would be great.
    Cheers Steve

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

13" ?

I think you will find they are 12", and the F100 back plates are 11"....

you measure the inside of the drums.

as for rear backplates to suit 12" drums..dunno, someone else will pipe up.

where in australia are you steve?

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Correct 11 vs 12.

You need F250 brakes or lincoln backing plates.

Brian Bass does an exchange on backing plates converting early Ford to self energising brakes like the ones you "need"

4. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

early ford rears may work, would probably mean cutting centres out of a pair of F100 backplates and welding them into early ford backplates, to get the offset correct for the drums.
    I would use lincoln repros over Brians conversion on the rears, half the cost, and the handbrake is already set up.
    a much easier option would be run 11" ford brakes intact with a pair of those finned drum covers,if you have big wheels the drums are going to be near invisible anyway, and adapting Buick Drums to rear ends wasnt really done 'back in the day' from what I have seen/read.
    I think the alloy covers would give you the look and save you a lot of headache..unless you have a 15" swing lathe and welders etc just sittin around..and if you do..show us how it all goes together. :)

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cant help you mate, but welcome to the HAMB. You better post an intro before someone jumps on you.
    Cheers,
    Doc.

6. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

IIRC, 55-57 Lincoln backing plates are 12" and should bolt up to the early (thru 1972) axle ends. it may be possible to use 12 x 2 1/2 late F250/E250 shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware with those also

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Would a Buick backing plate work? (Even with some rework to the center/bolt pattern).

8. SteveC

SteveC
    from Australia

Thanks for the info guys and yes you were right they were 12". For those that asked, i am up in Brisbane.
    Cheers Steve