Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT.....go cart project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dentprone, May 6, 2009.

1. dentprone

dentprone

This is OT, but I'm hoping it won't tick anyone off. I am putting together a mini-rod for my daughter and just finished the rear crossmember on the frame tonight. Still some work left on the frame, like the front perch and boxing in the ends. I'll be running transverse golf cart springs front and rear, still looking around for an appropriate motor to throw in. I hope to start on the front axle next week. The body still needs a lot of work, I need to bring the rear lip down quite a bit and put in a firewall. The top two pics are of an early mockup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What's to be offended about? It's a mini-rod! Your kid is lucky that you can build such a cool little car like that!

3. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

thats pretty rad

4. very cool! I like it

5. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Lookin Good!! She's one lucky little lady, keep posting progress pics.

6. casper

casper

That's the best use of a wheelbarrow I have ever seen! Great job.

7. Is the tub a wheel barrow? Thats gonna be cool.

Brad

8. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

I would hide a 5horse under a turtle deck or small bed ,and build a dummy flathead for the front. the block would be fairly easy and mabe you could pick up some stock 60horse heads and intake at a swapmeet.
    Looking closer that may be too big, but you could still make a small block or something, hell put a hood on it with some cool headers coming out

9. dentprone

dentprone

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the input. Yes, Country, it is a wheelbarrow tub. I was at Lowe's one day and it just kinda hit me....I still have a lot of trimming and welding to do before it looks right, but it's coming along.

10. To bad you dont live closer, I have a horizotal shaft eng set up to run on LP, nice and clean, Keep the pics coming on this thing.

Brad

11. absolutely! fantastic work!

12. dentprone

dentprone

I do have an old Kohler, about a '65, oil bath air cleaner, with the big 'ol starter/generator on the side.....that may be going in it.

13. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I have a cushman mini limited slip rear end and a cushman 1cylinder flat head engine with 3 speed backed manual trans that would look so bad ass in one of those. I think im gonna make one. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I Love the trick with the wheelbarrow! Neat project I love this kind of stuff!
    FRITZ

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool and an awesome way to keep the Hot Rod skills fine tuned.

16. dentprone

dentprone

Man, parts for those little dudes are like gold......you are lucky to have them. I have been hunting around for a cushman trans, because I want go inline with the drivetrain. Still up in the air on the rearend, but it will be a conventional rear axle. I could build it with the standard go cart stuff, but I want her to know what a transmission, clutch, driveshaft, etc, is. Too many kids don't get the chance to learn about cars.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You could use a mock up block like this to cover your engine you choose.
    [​IMG]

18. dentprone

dentprone

Whoa!!!! haha, that's crazy.....what kid wouldn't want to rock that?

19. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

Too bad your not closer, two trucksters going on an auction here at the end of june, one used to be mine, twin Onan, 3spd trans with a 2spd rear end, that basterd flew, shame I never got the brakes working, made for an interesting ride though.

20. dentprone

dentprone

With that 18, I bet it did......my buddy always jokes that my best stories always include "and y'know, it didn't have any brakes"

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hey, way cool thread. Go cart hot rods. I dig it.

22. Concrete B

Concrete B

I really thought I was gonna be first with a wheelbarrow car. Got all the parts but wheels, lol, Good start!

23. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

With your location being Florida, I'd be looking for a used v twin golf cart motor for that little bucket.

24. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Need to channel the wheelbarrow a bit for that HAMB look. Lucky kid to have a dad that takes care of her.

25. warning......a good hotrod tends to attract the opposite sex....even when they are both 12!!!!.....My son and his chick!

[​IMG]

26. skwurl

skwurl

Ma I was just thinking about using a wkeelbarrow for a mini rod. Th Oddrods used one for a downhill racer. It lookedkiller. Yours is lookin good my friend

27. very cool! best use of a wheel barrow ever!

28. I'd bet wheelbarrow sales increase today.

29. dentprone

dentprone

They grow up quick, don't they? That's a neat ride your kid has there.

30. dentprone

dentprone

I thought about channeling it, but I'm going for a look something like this pic. Plus, it can't be too low, as most of her driving will be on dirt roads.

T buc 006.jpg