Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto VS. Dodge Hemi questions..Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bear Metal Kustoms, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I am looking at getting a 241 red ram from so-cal tex.. He says it is a runner and all seems ok with it... What are the positives and negatives about these Dodge hemis?? I am contemplating getting rid of a rebuildable desoto 276 hemi that I have after getting the 241...Any ideas what a rebuildable(spins freely) 276 with 2 sets of heads, 2 timing covers, 2 intakes, and various extra parts is worth.. I don't see too many of the little hemis sell to judge by.. Thanks, EVILT

2. Bugman

Bugman

The Dodge will be smaller and lighter. There is more speed equipment avalible for the Dodge(although it is still fairly rare).

3. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Where are all the hemi experts... I don't want to hold up so-cal tex...What is a desoto 276 worth.. rebuilder.. Any drawbacks on a 241 dodge? Thanks, EVILT

4. socal_wrench

socal_wrench

A GOOD FREIND OF MINE PILOTED Slingshots in the early 60's he said they used mostly desoto hemi's in the race cars.
    Yank them from the junkyard bolt the race heads and the blower on and run it until it poped then salvage the heads and blower and get another.

5. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Garlits used mostly Desotos early in his career - I am running a 330 Desoto - more difficult to find speed parts for. The Dodges are a bit more common for speed parts.

6. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

In order of speed part commonality:

Chrysler hemi
    Dodge Hemi
    Desoto Hemi.

The issue are bore centers; the Chrysler has the biggest dimension,followed by the Desoto and then the Dodge. As far as what one's worth...

A rebuildable desoto core is a $500 piece, IMHO. Sell the extra parts separately; get another $200-$500.

If it were me - I'd keep the Desoto, clean up the Dodge and resell it. You may spend more time finding speedparts for the Desoto, but you can look all over hell's half acre for the 35 cubic inches you gave up in the trade - and never find 'em. I'll take a lower performing big motor over a high strung little motor ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! As an example, I've got a line on a 354 poly motor for $200; that's a 295 HP motor that few folks know about; does everything a 354 Hemi does at a fraction of the cost. The scalloped valve covers are well worth the headscratch value, and 80% of big hemi speedparts fit!

Don't let go of the big motor - you'll regret it!

7. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

If I could find a good poly motor for my Chrysler coupe I would go that route. It is pretty cost prohibitive for me right now to rebuild the desoto. That is why I was considering buying the dodge hemi if it is a runner...EVILT

8. Andy

Andy

The DeSoto is a better motor but much harder to find parts for. Will make a little more power.The 241/270 motors do not have side mounts. I built a Hurst style mount and works fine. The intake ports on the heads are restrictive on the small moters. The 315/325 motors are much better. I love my 241 but it is not a Chrysler or a sbc. It will run forever but it has it's own quirks. No decent intakes are available for the short deck Dodges. You will not make much power. I would go for the deal. Let me know when you need any info on what I have done.

9. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

The 270 Dodges do have side mounts.There are intakes out there too.They are just like any thing else if you are willing to do the legwork the stuff is out there.

[​IMG]

T.OUT

10. tragic59

tragic59

I like the way Chuckspeed thinks.

11. MBL

MBL

The Super Red Ram 270 in my 1955 Dodge does not have side mounts. Maybe later ones did.
    Tim
    MBL

12. shifts

shifts

I have a 241 Dodge in my coupe w/ a 700R4 behind it.I have 3x2s on it now, but I found a guy in OK that is starting to produce blower manifolds for the 241-271 Dodge. I will be putting a 4/71 on it this spring. He also makes a Hurst style mount for them that bolts to the timing cover. Nice stuff!! DAVE

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have a a couple of the 241ci dodges and I do like them.. I would say speed parts aren't the easiest to find but they are out there.. I have seen or had 6X2,4X2,3X2 but not a blower set-up.. Shifts could you please share that info:D .. A blower would be the cats ass.. I found the problem is HP with the dodge.. it's better then the flatty but no modern V-8.. But a blower, cool 7.5 compression with a huffer o top would be sweet!! I have a 6x2 on my one and it's drowning in gas so I have to work on that.. Over all it's a great motor and small enought to fit with out chopping up too much...

thanks John

14. shifts

shifts

Jack Wagner
    4221 S E Dorchester
    Lawton, OK 73501
    [email protected]

I'll post his phone# later, its at home. DAVE

15. shifts

shifts

BTW John, would you be interested if selling the 6x2 setup?

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thanks for the info on the blower guy, a phone number would be great.. As for the 6X2 intake it's on my cabriolet right now. So at this time I would have to say no.. It's a edelbrock log NOS that i got from a lurker HAMBer at Abombers swapmeet at the shop. Best swap I have been to in years:D . Noy a ton of folks but the coolest stuff!

17. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

The little Dodges are cool. They have a 1-15/16" rod journal which might be a problem if you need aftermarket rods. May have to modify some foreign stuff. Possibly a 50 mm bearing that is about .030" undersize. Just a thought, Bill

18. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Close this thread..It is from 2006.......it's now 2009 Bill... Jason

19. silent rick

silent rick

it's not the weiand dragstar i sold you at abomber30's swap meet?

20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Why Yes it is Rick:D, and was lucky to find a few more. Wow how many years ago was that swap too? Thank Rick for a great part and great price!!!

21. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I'm going to try this set-up that I made. I have a 3x2(Offy) now and it run rich. Before I change over I will try Strombergs 81s as secondaries. I'm putting in hotter plugs and a MSD 6 box.
    The 3x2 run OK after 1,500rpms but still rich..
    I think the 2x2 will compliment the engine.
    I have 4x2 log, 6x2 log and custom built 3x2. The logs will fit all the Dodge blocks..
    Duane

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  22. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

OK, I'll ask: why???

That thing is severe hillbilly. Can you take the laughter?

23. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Thanks Mad-Max, hillbilly is what I was looking for. WHY?? because I want to..Only laugh at those that don't try..
    Duane..