Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal by electrolysis???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rex1927, May 1, 2009.

1. HI,Anyone ever tried the rust removal by electrolysis process ? I searched this site and did not find any information.It is all over the internet on all search engines.I have a cowl and big tank to put it in ,but wanted to know if anyone ever tried that on something so big.?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. There's been several threads on it over time. Some should pop up. FWIW I've done it on several different parts and it works quite well. I have a dedicated container and battery charge just for derusting. The biggest thing I've done is an F-1 grill, 1/2 at a time. Just remember you will get a little hydrogen as a by product.

3. MotoVintage

MotoVintage

I use it to de-rust the inside of motorcycle fuel tanks, works really good

4. HI,Thanks, I will search again.

5. RichG

RichG

6. RichG

RichG

I just re-read your question, I think I see the problem now...

electrolysis

search functions can be annoyingly smug about spelling:D

7. I always have trouble with them there big words.I better start typing more carefully or go back to school.Thanks

8. RichG

RichG

now that's funny, I don't care who you are...:D

9. Hal_396

Hal_396

I use the process quite often on delicate parts that I don't want to blast. I am very happy with process.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

11. I found some washing soda.Going to give it a try.

12. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

hey, check you YOUTUBE.com
    youtube has a bunch of stuff about that type of rust removal
    it actually works really really good,
    but takes all night + more if you have something larger
    soo if you do try it, expect a large electric bill

:)

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

I just picked up a large old freezer for free, so I can try this, I wanna do the fenders and inner fenders for my 47 Ford, when I do get it up and running I will post some pics.

14. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

I've been doing it for a few weeks now. It works great if you don't mind waiting. Here is a pic of my upper controll arms.

Attached Files:

15. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Plain vinegar works well also. It takes between four days and a week. After the vinegar soak, a little metal prep, (Phosphoric acid) will take the orange away. pigpen

Before.
    [​IMG]

After.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Got my rust buster set up and working.Had a lot of fun cleaning stuff yesterday.Using 12 volt battery and running charger on battery.I can see it is going to take a lot more than 12 volts to clean a whole cowl.Need to find a DC welder.12 volts sure works great on small items in 5 gallon bucket.

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

More voltage ain't better...and for large stuff, build a "tank" out of lumber and line it with layers of plastic sheeting...

18. Was thinking of building a water tight wood tank.The small bucket is pulling so much amps that battery charger clamps get real hot.Won`t a much larger item pull so many amps 12 volts can`t supply it?I was thinking more DC volts would pull less amps.Any ideas or opinions?thanks

19. deucegarage

deucegarage

I have done a little of it, different than described on some of the other sites on the internet.

I use carbon anodes to prevent re-rusting.
    I do not use sacrificial steel or stainless steel anodes.

Here is a link to the page on my website with pics showing my method and results.

No reason it won't work on bigger objects, but you need a bigger power supply, roughly related to the surface area of the part. Give it a try!

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/electrolyticderusting.htm

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  20. 69fury

69fury

21. Hal_396

Hal_396

I use the 2 amp setting on my battery charger and have not had any trouble. I know your not suppose to suspend the part in the cocktail with coper wire. I use aluminum wire and it works good with no issues.

I suppose one of those trickle chargers will work good but I haven't tried it yet.

22. When I do it, I hook the battery charger to a fully charged battery, and the battery to the part/electrodes with a set of jumper cables. 2 amps on the charger works fine...

23. When I did it I used 10 amps. Used a plastic tub about 1 1/2 X 2 feet. Worked fine. There's pictures on here somewhere of my setup.

24. I used jumper cables hooked to battery and then charged battery.Worked better after I started charger.I see this method works great in five gallon bucket.Anyone ever tried something huge?If so what was electrical hookup.volts,amps,etc.thanks

25. There's a post and pictures on here somewhere where a guy made a big tub out of wood & stuff and did something big .. I think he charged it with a welder.

26. 52style

52style

just a thought how much voltage would you need to do electrolysis in on of those intex above ground pools you could put a whole car body in one of those !!!!

27. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Not voltage, amperage is what counts. Between two and five amps should work. Real issue is setting up a balanced array. You need as many paths between power and ground as you can get, of equal resistance. That means many leads to the body and to the sacrificial annodes.

Look for my valve cover thread and you can see what I did.

28. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

For bigger objects I was thinking about one of those cheap kiddie pools from wally world.

29. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I just finished welding up this rig using a 40 gallon plastic horse trough from the local farm supply. Will try it tomorrow on a rusty, crusty '41 ford grille. pigpen

[​IMG]

I won this battery charger at a local car show for a door prize.

[​IMG]

Here's all of the goodies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    chevy3755 likes this.