Register now to get rid of these ads!

What am I doing wrong? Engine leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sammyg, May 10, 2009.

1. sammyg

sammyg

So far I've tried to fix this leaking engine 4 times... And so far it works for about 10 minutes then gets as bad as it was.
    Willys L4-134 flathead Go-Devil
    It seems to be leaking from the front pully/timing cover/oil pan area. There's a pully splash shield and it all seems to puddle up on there then run off the engine. I've tried replacing the pan gasket and timing cover gasket. I spray the timing cover gasket with copper seal as well.
    I also took it to a shop who had it not leaking, then like clockwork it leaked again, what the heck? I know they did fix it, I checked it out and they did have parts off.
    What's my best bet here?
    Smother it with RTV and call it good?
    Thanks

2. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

It leaks oil, I assume? Just a long shot, but some of those had a weird seal sleeve that had reverse type threads that would "screw" the oil back into the engine when running. If you replaced it with a later model smooth sleeve, they would leak.

OR....Does it have the correct dipstick? Drain oil from pan and filter (If any). Fill with factory amount. Run engine and let set for an hour. Check oil level on stick. Is it lower than the marks? If so when you top it off, you are flooding the engine (As the stick is incorrect). Few seals will stay dry when filled over full...

Did it have an oil slinger washer inside the cover that got left off?

Is the engine sitting too flat in the chassis?

(Just speculating) Let us know. MIZ

3. rlcowboy40

rlcowboy40
    from mass.

i had the same prblem with mine, the problem was the pulley seal surface had a small groove from seal wear. i resleeved mine,but i think you can buy new pulleys now,from carl walck. make sure the oil slinger is in there. the weird reverse screw type sleeve helps too. after i resleeved mine it sealed it tight,no leaks. good luck they are great engines

4. I believe the "screw type" seals are called 'Labyrinth' seals.
    Common on two stroke engines.

Are you running a rope seal up front?

I had a lot of probs with the rope seal on the front of my 462" Buick.
    Cured to a great extent by making a simple aluminum adapter to take a modern rubber seal.

Improved further by changing a few things on the Buicks PCV system.

A few years back when I was running rope seals in the Buick engine, I found that the ones supplied by the gasket companies - a couple of them - were supplying too short of a seal and the ends were coming back making a gap where oil got out.

I went so far as to buy some graphite laden rope seal from a pump company and cut my own.
    That did better, but not as well as the rubber seal.

Take note of Mizilplix's comment about the oil slinger.

5. RAY With

RAY With

One thing I use to do on a one piece seal was to remove the spring and screw it into itself which tightens the lip on the sleeve. Usualy about 4 complete turns was enough to resolve leaking front seal problem provided the sleeve was not groved bad.

6. noboD

noboD

If the pulley has a groove worn in it could it be repaired by a Speedy-Sleeve? Very thin stainless sleeve that covers the bad area, then gives seal a new surface?

7. sammyg

sammyg

MIZ, thank you for your reply, its given me tons to think about now too. I honestly don't think I Have an oil slinger in this engine. It's a 43 Military engine from a MB, and it's chain driven. Looking at the manuals the gear driven one had a slinger, chain didn't?
    What sort of reverse seal are you talking about? Location in the engine?
    I'm pretty sure it has the correct dipstick. It read right when I filled it with a new filter and exactly 5 qt. of Valvolene 30w (don't need multi range here in the sun)
    What do you mean too flat in the chasis? What could cause it to be too flat and how could it leak then? Looking at it it couldn't be raised anymore, though I could drop the transfercase maybe 3/4" and be good. Thanks.

I replaced the pulley with a new one. Almost speedy sleeved it but had an order goin to Carl so I said meh, we'll do the new one to be safe.
    It doesn't have a rope seal in the front AFAIK. Only in the back for the rear main. The front might, but, I didn't assemble the engine, just put the oil pan on. Speaking of PVC could mine not be venting right?

What do you mean? Sorry I'm new to this seal stuff :rolleyes:

Yep, replaced the pully so it should be good. Had a minor groove in the old one