Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Pretty much. I had seen the post on the uppers, I just never saw anything about the lowers. I think I may try to put a Z type step in mine in order to get it low while retaining decent suspension compression travel. First I'll just cut the coils and see where it gets me. Thanks.

2. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

yea, those spindles are a bit pricey...

3. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Falconizer.... any updates on the wagon??

4. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

5. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Well I put 3" blocks in the back of mine, cut two coils off the front and I'm pretty happy with how low it is. I want to add another inch to the rear blocks though. I put 14's on the back and it's got too much rubber rake for my taste. Pics soon.

6. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

sounds cool. look forward to the pics...

7. racer67x

racer67x

8. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

9. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

10. Muttley

Muttley

It's a good thing I havent eaten yet, thats enough to gag a maggot.

[​IMG]

11. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Here are a few pics of the latest progress and where I am at.

We are still working on the details of the compartments that will house all of the airbag components. In addition to this, we are chipping away at the front suspension. The latest project is the shock tower support braces. The original ones got in the way of the manifold and air cleaner, so we have to work out a new design.

I realized that when I was bolting in the tank it was crushing the tubing. All of the holes had to be expanded and sleeved so that proper torque can be maintained on those bolts. It's something that you wouldn't even notice, but is actually quite a bit of work.

Work is fun :)

The latest album shows this progress.

peace,
    Kai

http://kaiandkandypics.shutterfly.com/1962fordfalcondeluxewagon/456

12. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey been subscribed to this thread for awhile, and helping a friend with a 63 1/2 futura. H wants to put a heidts front end in it, and has a 93 HO mustang complete. Is anything on the front end compatible to adapt?
    Also He needs a rear sump pan chrome preferred but open to anything.
    thanks for any info or help here
    Ken

13. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

The Heidts should be pretty straight forward...seen a few done that way. the 60-63's are 1.5" narrower than 64/65's and the 'stangs.
    should be a good combo...

14. falconeer

falconeer

HEY KENAGIN,
    Tell him to forget about the heidts and go with a ROd & CUSTOM MOTOR SPORTS out of Flarence SC. A little more but a lot less headaches.
    I've had both and the R&C has em all beat.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

65 sedan delivery 289 c-4
    65 2 dr wagon 91 5.0 efi 5 speed
    63 2dr 95 cobra 5 speed 8.8 rear end
    62 2dr wagon dlx 2001 gtp 5.0, c-4 heidts M II, Ididit tilt colum

15. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

X2 on R&C. They are some GREAT people to deal with, and their 2" dropped kit is fantastic.

16. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

17. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

it sure does. it will save you a bunch of time over making your own.
    nice wagon!

18. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I've heard some things to the effect that removing the shock towers can compromise the structure on a Falcon. Any concerns?

-Dave

20. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

with all the greedy attorneys and product liability, I don't think it's something they would do if its a problem.

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't anticipate too many courts allowing a car owner who overrides the factory design getting to recover against the manufacturer of the product he or she used. I've never purchased a Mustang II setup, but I'll bet they come with a list of disclaimers about only having a professional re-engineer the car, etc.

Anyway, the problems I've heard about haven't been really life-threatening so much, but more in the nature of an eternity of broken winshields from a body that now twists on a regular basis.

-Dave

22. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

i have no concerns,, i made a full frame and its all re-enforced.. check my album for pix.. I will also be putting in a roll bar, and will tie into the front as well.

23. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Absolutely. The frame rails in a Falcon are made of sheetmetal and the structural integrity comes from the unibody design of having shock towers and aprons all integrated. Cutting the aprons out and relying on the frame rails for torsional support of the MII design is nuts. The reason they created the aftermarket MII suspensions that could be installed on the frame rails of Model As and similar frame rails is that people kept graphing the sheet metal MII spring and shock towers to frame rails and they, too, failed without the support of the full unibody structure of the integrated aprons. Many of the after market plate steel kits are failing even when used as designed by the manufacturer. I have seen failures noted here on the HAMB of systems built by Fatman, Heidts and unknowns, both owner and factory welded. The common link between all of these is the absence of the aprons and unibody structure. Now you think this will be OK with sheetmetal rails as the Falcons came with? Wow!

I've been building chassis for over a decade now. I have been asked to repair or replace a number of MII installations. I'll just say that my experience has tuned my "oh shit!" meter over the years and this idea has it pegged.

I also know that the Falcon and 1st gen Mustang suspension is very well supported in the aftermarket with upgrades and they remain competitive on the road course, so why wold you want to cut it out and replace it for anything short of a Gasser build?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  24. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Do you have any pics of the failures? I'd like to see what and where it happens. I tied my subframes together. I also planned on adding Monte Carlo bars at some point. Thusfar I havent noticed any issues, but the day is young. When I mentioned product liability earlier, wouldnt the aftermarket mfg be responsible to the consumer.

I know even "back in the day" that Falcons could possibly pop windshields if stressed enough. I had a pretty radical 289 in mine, did some track and street racing, and never really had that issue.

25. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Some pics of my Falcon gasser, "The Green Slime" . 100% rebuild should be done this time next year, big inch sbc with a T400. The car is all steel 2800 lbs will be running C/G and D/G.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  26. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Search the HAMB:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115209&highlight=mii+failure

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257826&highlight=mii+failure

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321569&highlight=mii+failure

The mfg is only liable if they seel defective materials. Installation and application is the responsibility of the customer. "manufacturer makes no warranty of suitability to application" Here's a kit, use it as you wish.

Flexibility was a part of the car, thus learning to make one handle that way was the name of the game. Carol Shelby has told of how the chassis on the Sunbeam Tiger used to build the Cobra was so flimsy that they had to learn to use it as part of the suspension. When they did, it was unstoppable. The new replicas with space frames under them are too stiff. It's much harder to get one to perform.

The Falcon/Mustang suspension has been proven over the years and there is a ton of upgrades available. I don't see why people want to cut them up. When I finally talk my wife into letting me, I will mod hers with the Shelby Drop, roller bearing spring seats, sway bars, Maverick disc brakes and an 8.8" axle on Mustang dropped leafs. I think it will agree with anything from the stock 6 to a hot 351.

27. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Did you add a full frame? I don't see much of a cage or any front strut tubes.

This is for a Chevy II, but I would take a similar approach with any unibody.

[​IMG]

28. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

anybody know where i can can a complete bushing rebuild kit, or if they have them? im looking and cant find anything and id like to buy everything at once if possible. Anybody know? Thanks

-Sam

29. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

30. A guy in town here is currently building a 64' Comet gasser, 427 SOHC Cammer engine! He bought a new Carol Shelby 427 aluminum block and it sounds like new re-pop cammer heads! Big $$$ in this car. He is also building a 67' Cyclone that has the Carol Shelby 427 all aluminum including heads, fuel injected and I guess it was dynoed out at like 800 horses at the rear! Can't wait to see these two tear'n up the streets!