Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welders!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greezer708, May 7, 2009.

1. Greezer708

Greezer708
    from Mound mn

2. dentprone

dentprone

Welllllll.............The tank is worth what he says for sure. The welder is sorta generic, but will most likely use Tweco or Hobart consumables. It is fairly heavy amp, and you should have some good use out of it, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to get parts.

3. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

No save your money and get a name brand even used is better .

4. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

5. mottsrods

mottsrods

Stay away from it...someone who says "miller knock off" about a Chicago Electric is scary and you should keep your distance. Anyone who welds, really welds, knows their is no knock off for a Miller.....

6. 61bone

61bone

You"ll have to get the tank filled at the original dealer

7. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

buy a Miller

8. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Chicago Electric is Harbor Frieghts brand. GARBAGE.

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

No I would pass

10. gold5000000

gold5000000

i have a chicago electric wleder, heres my advice Run for the hills!! its a piece of junk, save your money and get a name brand it will be worth it in the long run

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Dont even waste your hard earned money. Look for a true and tried name brand welder. Miller,Lincoln,or hobart. Then come back and ask if they are good deals.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  12. kjohnson

kjohnson

I agree with all the posts, just because something is cheep dosen't make it a deal. Even if it was free I feel you would be getting ripped off.

13. hotsilver

hotsilver
    from Florida

"Power of blue" Buy a Miller, I have used all brands for long periods of time, and Miller are the best!!!!

RJ

14. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Spend your money on something worthwhile!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

15. Greezer708

Greezer708
    from Mound mn

ya i would agree thanks and i do love miller welders! I think i'm going to get a millermatic

16. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

most knockoff tools are usually more expensive , after time , then the actual brand

17. Drive Em

Drive Em

I'll throw another name in the mix- Esab, which used to be L-Tec, and before that Linde. I hear Miller alot, buy Esab is a far better choice in my opinion and is a far more heavy duty machine that Miller or Lincoln.

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I picked up a used lincoln 130 for $350, came with nice gloves, an extra roll and a helmet just nice enough to use twice. I have no complaints about the auto dimming helmet i got from harbor freight, but I will upgrade if I ever do more than quick welding jobs. for heavy stuff, I have an ancient lincoln 220 buzz box.

19. capdavid

capdavid
    BANNED

Don't buy it its crap. Spend some green and get the Lincoln 225 and 140c Combo Mig and Tig. Awesome unit and even though you'll spend some grennbacks you would be disapponited.

20. sjrodder

sjrodder
    from vermont

Go Lincoln thats all I use [ I like the color red]

21. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

The tank is worth $150-200 and Toll welding or Oxygen Service will exchange that tank for a $25 service fee.

The welder is sub par but if your on a budget it aint a bad buy.... I weld every day I would never buy that but if you don't have a $1250.00 budget for a blue or red machine this may work...

I assume you know how to weld? Go to his place and try it out... Like it buy it....

Yes it is a Chinese machine from HF .... I know I'm the odd man out on the thread!

22. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

You can get a decent Lincoln NEW from home depot for that same $300.

23. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Hey Justin:

Come to my shop, we'll talk. I can help you out. By the way, you might have to drop your price on the truck topper, (have you had any calls?), it's not selling.

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just sold a nice l tec 225 tig machine for $500, sold it because I got a miller 250 to match the one we already had for $500. The Miller came with a cooler, as well. Better off with used American tools, no matter the brand. Brand new Chinaman copys are usually junk, can't get parts for them either, and besides, this is still America, better to support our own whenever we can.

25. Gene Winfield Rod&Custom

Gene Winfield Rod&Custom
    from Mojave,Ca

It depends on how much your going to use it. And I would worry about parts if you need to buy them. Is the company still in business? If so it might be ok. Or just buy an www.usaweld.com ask for scott tell him Dewey sent ya. Good luck

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Not for nothing, if you weld alot,or keep your machine for a few years, parts are always an issue. Had an AFF mig years ago, made by our friends in Italy, was a great machine, but not much good,with no repair parts. Like my Millers and Esabs much better, for that reason alone.