Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another sheobox rearend question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51Koffin, May 7, 2009.

1. 51Koffin

51Koffin
    from California

I'm looking to change the rear end in my 51 Ford - I've done some searching in the older posts and found some great info. Maverick rears seem to be the most common answer as well as early Mustang, I have access to an early Mustang rear but some people are telling me that they won't work - can anyone that's running a Mustang tell me what the difference is - I know they're a 1/2in wider but are there any other problems

2. Why do "some" people say it won't work?

Have they done it or are they just repeating an old wives tale?

A 1/2" wider don't mean jack.
    That's only 1/4" per side.

Many times you can make up the difference in rear end widths with the correct wheel backspace.

3. 51Koffin

51Koffin
    from California

I was told that the center was offset on the Mustang and am just to verify and see if that will work in my car before I make a trip to get it. It's a long drive and buried in the back of an old mans junk pile. I wasn't worried about the 1/2in

4. Just about all cars have the center section offset.

That's so the driveshaft can stay in the center of the car and still mate up ok with the pinion's companion flange.

If that's not clear, think about how the ring and pinion go together.

5. The Ford driveshaft tunnel is not so narrow that a little more than normal offset will cause any problems. Go get it and use it.
    The Wizzard

6. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I ran a early mustang rearend in my old 50 shoebox it fit really well!

7. 51Koffin

51Koffin
    from California

Reno, Pist-n thanks for the quick replies that's the answer I was looking for - I wanted to check before purchasing