Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Magazines filed Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buick59, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fish3495

fish3495

We live in Bizzaro World. I hate the 21st Century.

Rick

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Maybe it is part of the Mourning Process...

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Sooo.....if one can't change yer own oil, you can't own a car then???? That how that reads.....;)

4. DrJ

DrJ

You're DAMN RIGHT!

Right of passage and all.
    Especially not an "old car".

If ya can't tune your own carb/engine ya shouldn't be "hotrodding" either.

5. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Those 3 year Hot Rod sub's for $20.00 while many think are a good deal, really suck. magazine is 90% ads.

I'll pay $20-25 per year for a good mag with minimal ads-sorta like Hemmings Muscle Machines.

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hey man....I ain't arguin'....I'm with ya!!!!:D

7. Gearhead Mike

Gearhead Mike

Just wondering...

How many guys posting here make a "living" publishing a magazine?

8. 5window

5window

Let's just say I don't need a drop-light to work in the dark:)

9. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

1. You

2. Aust used to be editor of R&C

3. Frieburger has posted a couple times

4. Some random dude who claims to work for Source Interlink

5. Didn't JJ post on page 2 or 3? :confused:

So......Mike - if I pay you for a sub, think you might be able to send me a mag once in a while? Looks like I got stiffed by Garage . Missed the last two issues, doubt I'll get the next two either.

10. 2Hep

2Hep

Thank you. I have felt that over the years (from when I was in High School till recently) This Mag. has gotten heavy with ads and little content...and when there is content i want to read, I have to sift through page after page of ads...

Bring back the little pages....

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

you have to at least recognize that it needs to be done, wether you do it ir someone else does it.

lmao... :p

12. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Nothing better than getting a great issue of your favorite mag and reclinig back on your favorite easy chair or couch for an hour or two.

The fascination over reading a book online escapes me.

13. slammed

slammed

With a magazine (paper) all you need is natural light to read by. Some mega ($$!) dude need's to step up to the plate and hire 'Too Tall' and start the mother of all printed media empire's. You KNOW it can be done. Small page's too!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The funny thing is I spent almost 2 years as the head of IT for Student Media at NCSU. Basically it encompassed the yearbook, literary magazine, newspapers, and radio station. I had no problems getting across the importance of the internet to the students, it was the other staff and faculty that fought it. Had no idea what was coming and how it would change things.

15. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Shit! I SWORE I wouldn't post on this thread anymore - 'cause I'm a slimeball ad guy and all.

1. I have really opened my thinking from what I have read here (well, most stuff anyway).
    2. The west coast pub guys BETTER be reading this thread!
    3. Freiburger won't give me the time of day, but he may be the only guy that ever really "got it" there - and he owes me some passes to Pomona.
    4. I fear it will be "business as usual".
    5. Everybody on here put your money where your mouth is and actually buy a subscription to TRJ, Rod&Kulture, HopUp, and all the rest of the "pure" mags or you are all full of shit. (yes, I already have)
    6. Torchman, that's some funny stuff.

Okay, really, I'm done.

16. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

The media as a whole is in the middle of what seems to be a long grinding revolution. Full of drudgery, excitement, disappointment and innovation. When the dust settles the publications (print/web) that provide information, interesting content and turn a profit will prevail. Good luck to all, may the best ones win. For our part we should be sure to support the publications that are fulfilling.

17. bkap

bkap

Now that's funny. One of the reasons I left the university IT department is because guys like you who thought that because people didn't "get it", as in how to properly do email, security, Web pages or anything tech-related, they were stupid. Seems to me it's the arrogance of some who supposedly "get it" that jeopardizes the whole deal. And when things do fail, for whatever reason, there is always a lot of "Oh well" or "Whatever." It's one of the great outs of all time. Great customer service, too. I do indeed "get it," it's just that after the dot com and housing busts, I'm pretty skeptical of those who know it all. :) New paradigms tend to have someone else's fingers tickling the bottom of my change pocket. Besides, "it" is a highly movable target.

I see the problem here. You're too busy patting yourself on the back for "getting it" that you can't see the forest or anyone else's explanation of what that might look like.

Refer to my first response. You live in a pretty rarefied world if you never have trouble with your ISP or devices. But then it sounds like you think you'll always be able to buy your way out of tech problems. There's a much bigger picture to consider. Maybe someday you'll get it.

Yes and no. It actually requires, in many instances, some pretty refined search techniques. My wife's a very well-qualified public librarian and sometimes it's still a struggle to find something that isn't tagged or presented well. Maybe your searches to date have been too simplistic. :)

Hope springs eternal. I've seen plenty of niche zines pop up over the past ten years and many of them never make it past the "Let's put up a Web site and _______(get rich, change the world, show those bastards how to do it right, on and on) stage. You can use your search talents to see many of those sites with a copyright of, say, 2003, "Under Construction" icons everyplace and no changes to the site since it was first put up. As the traditional print publishing industry continues to struggle, you'll probably see the cost effectiveness of print come way down. It's amazing how negotiable a company can be when it's future flashes before it's eyes.

Like I said, I do "get" the Web, but obviously not in the way you're pedaling.

Have a great day. Best of luck to you.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Do you, by chance, work for Source Interlink? :)

19. bkap

bkap

I presume that was directed at me. I hope I didn't give that impression. Sorry. Absolutely not. Never have, although many years ago I did write for one of the publications they now own.

Believe me, I'm no apologist for the mess they have created in the auto rag industry.

20. bring back Frieberger........... then again what do I know Im waiting for Autobuff to return......bknap maybe people would respect what you say IF you did your intro as requested when you joined .........

21. bkap

bkap

Oh yeah. I guess that was a bit of an oversight. I'll try to get more sociable and do my intro tomorrow. :) But even so, I'm not sure there's been a huge groundswell of disrespect. Yet. :D

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You are showing your ignorance more and more with each post. You have no idea at all who I am, and saying that it was guys like me that ran you out of the Universities. What a crock.

Delusional now....

I never said I didn't have problems, I said there were as many problems with print. Reading is fundamental.

No, but I understand how search engines work and know how to use them. Sorry but being a librarian does not mean you know how an internet search engine works or how to use it. And the magazines have done shit for being able to search past issues.

http://lmgtfy.com/ there's some help for ya.

I am not pedaling it. I like that it's easy for someone to do things their way in cyberspace. Some are succesful, some aren't.

yeah it's probably coming.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  23. 5window

5window

If if she/he does, I think there are some valid points. A tremendous amount of information is lost when transmitted electronically versus face-to face and I think, to a lesser degree, the same is true with e vs paper magazines. I love the Internet,but it's not "comforting". And no one ever developed repetitive stress injuries reading books all day.:) I think newspapers are close to dead in the current model. I think there will always be a place for books and magazines.

24. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

IT'S TUFF TO READ the "HAMB" WHEN YOUR IN THE JOHN LOL........ WTF DOES EVERYTHING I LIKE HAVE TO BE SOLD,RAPED,OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS ?

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep, They just went up from $.50 to $.75 for the daily here. It wasn't worth the lower price. There are lots of business' that are struggling to figure out how to keep revenue streams right now. The big media and music industries are struggling. The telephone companies and some internet providers (like TWC) are trying to figure it out as well. They weren't looking down the road and it caught them with their pants down.

26. Foul

Foul

+1.

27. Got a call last night from a telemarketer "thanking me for being a loyal subscriber" to what used to be Mustangs & Fords and asking me to approve renewal since I let my subscription expire. After I gave her an earfull about how the content went the opposite direction of my interests (less HAMB-friendly FoMoCo restomods, more Suckatangs and scantilly-clad poster girls hawking advertisers' junk in the name of journalistic content) and that I wasn't interested in renewing, she hung up.

Yep, I don't feel bad about it at all...

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

29. bkap

bkap

Fuck-o-rama, Zperson!

Here's the deal. The Web is a wonderful communication tool. Print was, in some cases still is and in some other nuther cases will continue to be a wonderful communication tool. Each, as I've stated, has it's particular and some shared problems. Neither is a lifestyle. Web, the new kid on the block, is still a financial model mystery in the publishing sphere. It doesn't appear to scale well, financially. Yet. Maybe it will someday. Let's toast to that hope.

This conversation has turned into a pissin' contest, which you are more than welcome to continue by yourself. Me? I'll be off washing out the contest materials before they stain.

Hope it all works out for ya'. :)

bkap

30. MN Falcon

MN Falcon