Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welcome to canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRUCKENSTEIN, May 7, 2009.

1. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

Just wanted to let people from eastern Canada know about the new law they want to pass up here, In the next year they want to make it so that ANY lowered or lifted vehicle will be declared unfit for the road, This is something they are trying to pass in Nova Scotia. they are mostly targeting lifted trucks BUT they also want it to include lowered cars, hot rods with modified suspensions and kit cars, anything that isn't the way it was from the factory will be targeted.

If this passes I will be walking because I have a lifted truck with 35" tires that has a approved lift kit in it, a lowered 1966 Chevy II and a chopped 41' Ford that has a aftermarket chassis.

2. This is why we have SEMA.....Government always taking away our freedoms and rights......At least you guy's have FREE healthcare!....You could always move to the states and enjoy all your rides!

3. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Contact SEMA perhaps they can help

Based on all of the quality services our Government supplies to us. Do you really want to trust them with your health?????

Gary

4. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

Trust me, Nothing is FREE up here, they TAKE alot more than they give.:D

I will also check with SEMA to see what they can tell me, thanks

5. Isn't it great when the government protects us from ourselves.

6. mottsrods

mottsrods

This has "Class Action Law Suit" writtin all over it..........if you were driving a vehicle that was clearly unsafe, I could see getting a fine. But targeting all vehicles is unconstitutional.

7. Hate to tell you this but it,s been law for years and never enforced. In my safety inspection manual a vehicles suspension cannot be altered more than 3 1/8 inches from the original curb riding height.

8. We're fixin' to find out ....:(

9. caseyrod

caseyrod

truckenstein amen brother nothing is for free.and when your are giving something for free, you lost the right to demand.

10. 52lomofo

52lomofo

hello from pei never heard of any issue's here yet but who know's

11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

What ever is free.. is payed some where else to offset.. I seem to remember having gotten a ticket for my 54 Skyliner being to high on the rear about 25 years ago.. it was a restriction thing then.... but it was actually to low.. beings the springs were weak and reversing.. The RCMP was out there measuring trying to compare with his Patrol car.. I think My mouth got the better of me.. The ticket had my name written all over on it..:D

12. They have "free" healthcare, that's why it's rationed, as well. Do you want to wait six months for an MRI because some bureaucrat says you have to? Canadians get taxed out the wazoo for very mediocre health care, as do the Brits. That's why they come to the US to get what they need. Free markets are a wonderful thing.

The bureaucrats are the same around the world - hungry for power at your expense, regardless if it's healthcare, your car, your property, etc.

13. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Could you leave the suspension alone and just raise or lower the body? I know it's a hell of a lot more work, but just thought I'd ask.

14. The bureaucrats are the same around the world - hungry for power at your expense, regardless if it's healthcare, your car, your property, etc.

Couldnt have put it better myself man.....trey are the same the world over....

Rat

15. Years ago this was included in Ontario's Highway Traffic Act but it was impossible to enforce so it's been removed and is no longer law. However, some police officers will still charge for "unsafe" if there's no compression travel left after lowering, but that's intended mostly for ricers and well deserved in most cases in my opinion.

16. repoguy

repoguy

No, I'd much rather trust my health & well being to a bunch of greedy corporate executives who care about nothing but profit, and couldn't care less if I live or die, AND pay extra for it!

That makes SO MUCH more sense.

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hahahahahahahahaha...that's fuckin' hilarious...I seriously hope you were kidding about this. "Unconstitutional"...hahahahaha...guess you've never heard of "owning a vehicle is a privilege, NOT a right." Doesn't have a damned thing to do with the consitution...!!!

R-

18. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

I just don't want to see hot-rodding die because of the fact that there is so many thing that you can and can't do that old cars would basically disappear in my area

19. Krylon John

Krylon John
    BANNED
    from Placentia

For any Canadians who don't want to take it in the shorts on this check out www.sema.org SEMA Canadian provinces are listed.

20. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

I am not a member of SEMA but I did email them to make them aware of what is going on, I hope it gets canned before it gets too far

21. 73RR

73RR

The scariest words in the english language:

..."we're from the government and we're here to help"...

...we're here to help ourselves to everything you have or own, or ever hope to have or own.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

especially since the dude is in Canada... :D

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

To clarify -- Mottsrods, the guy that said it was "unconstitutional" is listed as living in Easley, South Carolina (SC...not BC)...but the original poster of this thread is in Canada...

R-

24. charger

charger
    from manitoba

that sucks!!! i guess you can adopt the manitoba saying (where hot rodding is a crime!)

25. Not exactly...DRIVING is a privilege. Ownership of private property is one of the hallmarks of the Constitution. Goes along with that pesky "...Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..." thing in the US Constitution that our "leaders" and LE-types so conveniently ignore.

26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Geeez what are they gonna do about those pesky wheel chair conversion vans??
    guess tha means that every law enforcement officer will eed a book of specs and a measuring device.

27. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

You guys need to get Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles working on this;)

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

And every tractor trailer on the road that runs air suspension........

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am sending a letter to my MLA as we speak, also find below, a copy of a letter written by a local rodder/restorer to the Chronical Herald...all east coast guys should be contacting thier MLA's ASAP. Its one thing to have an unenforced law onn the books.....another thing for the cops who have nothing better to do with thier time out there with bloated ego's trying to enforce it......

The big question is why? Why is the province trying to implement rules regarding raising and lowering of vehicles and attacking the custom cars & truck industry? Why does Nova Scotia feel it necessary to legislate that a licensed mechanic is not capable of installing an industry-approved aftermarket suspension kit in a vehicle without having Atlantic Canada’s ONLY approved engineer inspect and approve it first? It doesn’t make economic sense.
    What our provincial government seems to be unaware of is that there is a complete industry based around modifying and, in many cases, improving on the original equipment suspension systems of antique, classic and modern vehicles. According to the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the industry servicing aftermarket car parts, labor and customizing cars is valued at over a billion dollars a year in the USA alone, and about half that again in Canada.
    This means that there are hundreds of manufacturers employing thousands of people all over the world in this industry. The suspension systems they are building are all well engineered. If they weren’t, the manufacturers would not be in business. In fact, the big auto manufacturers turn to these after market suppliers to do a lot of their research and development.
    I am a custom car builder in this province and I have been in business for approximately 10 years. I just built a brand new 40 x 100 shop in which to conduct my business. I have created jobs in my community and keep as much of my business as possible in the region. My customers are, for the most part, middle-aged, well-established members of the business community and after a lifetime of work are just now able to afford the cars of their dreams – and these dream cars can cost up to $100,000 dollars. Both my customers and I have made, and are making, significant investments in this industry and in our province.
    The car culture is not new in Nova Scotia or the Maritime provinces. In fact, it is deeply in engrained. For example, in Nova Scotia there are antique and custom car shows and events somewhere in the province almost every weekend of the summer. In New Brunswick, Moncton plays host to a nationally recognized custom car show every summer that brings millions of dollars into the economy. Nova Scotia is in the planning phase of a similar event for the south shore this year – with the intention of it becoming an annual event.
    What I don’t understand is why the province feels it necessary to make these changes. I am not aware of any accidents or injuries caused by cars or trucks that have been professionally lowered or raised. If the province has some rationale for implementing these changes, it should be made public and a healthy debate of the merits of the change take place. If there are incidents where vehicle modifications have been made incorrectly, punish the offenders – not the industry.

There are hundreds of vehicle repair and custom shops in this province that are affected by this proposed change. There are over 3000 licensed mechanics whose livelihood will be negatively impacted by the proposed change. It is these small "mom and pop" operations like mine that are the backbone of Nova Scotia’s economy and will lose money and have to lay off employees because of these proposed changes. We pay the taxes that pay the salaries of the bureaucrats who are arbitrarily proposing change to something they obviously know little about. It’s about time the government in this province became more transparent and engaged the industry in determining what is – and isn’t – appropriate from a legislative perspective. Last I checked, we were living in a democracy, not a police state.
    Dale Mackay
    Remuda Coaches Inc
    www.remuda

http://www.chuckporter.ca/

Above is the link to my MLA if you are in Nova Scotia, not sure what the other provinces are....but everyone else in the rest of the country should be worried if this passes,as it will only be a matter of time for you...I know Ontario has been mulling this over for some time now.
    [/U][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

This is just a quick note to let you know that after a lifetime of voting PC it looks as though you will not be getting my familys votes this year...as well I dont believe anyone in the province who has an interest in the antique/classic /hotrod/sportscar etc hobby, will be supporting your party in any way shape or form. The MVI rules in this region are enough of a joke (take a look at the rest of the country!!!) But now you want to shove this down our throats? I am so angry and fed up with civil servants trying to run my life for me I cant even put it into words, And to think I was going to request one of your election signs last week, thankfully I didnt before this story broke in the last few days. Your govt. sure did a good job of trying to keep it under wraps and away from the automotive hobby. Reat assured there is an email and internet campaign to make the hobby aware of this atempt to steal even more of our quality of life away from us, it has even been brought up on US based discussion boards. Why dont these civil servants that have nothing better to do with thier time find something more constructive to do with thier time? Such as fixing the millions of potholes and craters on the provinces highways?? They cause more damage to vehicles, and cause more potential safety issues than the guy down the street who spends thousands of dollars to upgrade the suspension on his pride and joy??Lets not forget the contribution to the provinces economy, as well...this WILL cost jobs. Smart move in these economic times. Suffice to say if your party doesnt cancel this infringement on our rights, it might well be the legacy of your party as it gets turfed out. If this law is passed I will certainly re-evaluate my decison to relocate to this beautiful province and return to my native Ontario .Just what NS needs to loose another well paid taxpayer.

Heres what I just sent to my MLA...we are in the middle of an election right now so maybe the pinheads will actually pay attention.