Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zen and the Art of the Hot Rod: The philosophy of wabi-sabi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, May 7, 2009.

1. Off topic? I don't really think so.

It's hard to define what makes a particular traditional hot rod beautiful or memorable. Recently I ran into a concept from Japanese Buddhism that sorta sums up the whole thing: it's the Zen aesthetic ideal of "wabi-sabi."

The word "wabi" refers to the kind of perfect beauty that is paradoxically caused by just the right kind of unplanned handmade imperfection (asymmetry etc.). "Wabi" can also refer to stripped-down simplicity and the imperfections caused by limitations in design and construction. "Sabi" refers to the beauty that comes with aging -- patina, crackling, so on.

Here's how some Zen philosophers have explained the concept of Wabi Sabi:

"if an object can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi."

"wabi-sabi nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

"It is the lines in a persons face that lets us know how much they have laughed, considered carefully, grimaced in their lifetime."

The ideal of wabi-sabi can be found in traditional Japanese art and architecture, but it struck me that it's also a pretty good description the HAMB traditional hot rod aesthetic. A truly great car needs both wabi and sabi, otherwise its like the sound of one hand clapping. The Doane Spencer roadster has loads of wabi-sabi; a Ridler car doesn't, and neither does a rat rod.

So the next time you're at a car show and spot some great traditional hot rod, tell 'em: "hey man, nice wabi-sabi."

2. I like wasabi, makes me cry.

3. Trent - wasabi makes me cry at both ends.

4. Diavolo

Diavolo

wabisabi... wasn't there a thread about green cars already?!?

Just kidding.

Since you bring it up, why not add a little Daoism.. Wu Wei = "to do without doing" A minimal approach to life, to not resist the natural action of things and to allow the best of things to just happen?

Nah, we like to cut shit up, weld it up, beat it into submission with a hammer... Still, there is something to letting a machine just "be". That's why I am keeping my Ford as close to how it was made without changing anything that it would not have evolved into as one owner after another did a little upgrade here and there. Not gonna try to re-invent the wheel... just clean it up and maybe put a new tire on it.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Zenor, I hope you're giving your Wabi coupe some Sabi miles. ;)

Interesting concept. I think race cars have this more than most street cars I've seen. Probably why some of them are considered to be beautiful even though they were really developed for competition.

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mix my wasabi with soy sauce.

(very introspective thoughts Zenor-san!)

7. Oh yeah, got about 1200 miles of sabi on it so far.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

now theres to much information :p

9. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

exellent comparison of the two styles....for more on wabi-sabi check out this guy: architect Tadao Ando...........

In fact, I remember Indian Larry talking about the beauty of the simplicity and mechanics of stripped down bikes (substitute hot rods) and his discription always reminded me of the "wabi-sabi" concept............of course, Keep It Simple Stupid works too.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ahh the lessons I learn on the HAMB. Beautiful way of looking at things Mr. Zenor.

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

It's funny, I've come to realize this many, many years ago. It can be comforting AND it can be maddening.

I never even knew I was all wabi-sabi'ed out.....

12. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I'll have to tell the wife this one when she asks me to finish something for her:D

Very good read Mike, it does give some perspective.

13. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Form follows function ought to be in there somewheres, too. I really like the reminders about perfection, impermanence, and finishing. When we work on our vehicles, that's excellent stuff to remember.

Like the purposeful flaws in Catholic saints' medals, or the loosed threads in fine Persian rugs....

Nice post, Mike.

14. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Wabi-Sabi is the name of our local thrift store. Never knew what it ment though.

15. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

you gotta be careful with that wabi-sabi... that stuff is HOT!!!

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Here is a tree older than the forest itself;
    the years of its life defy reckoning.
    Its roots have seen the upheavals of hill
    and valley,
    its leaves have known the changes of wind and frost.
    The world laughs at its shoddy exterior
    and cares nothing for the fine grain of the
    wood inside.
    Stripped free of flesh and hide,
    all that remains is the core of truth.

Han-shan wrote that more than a thousand years ago, but he knew what it feels like to encounter the hulk of an old Ford...

17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Nice Mr Zenor.

There are definitely some nice rides out there that fit this description, Zach's and Chris's come to mind right off. I think I should keep this in mind when working on the wagon.

18. 61TBird

61TBird

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3PycZtfns_U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3PycZtfns_U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Have you been dabbling in Six Sigma lately?? That's a term used in 6S.......cut the waste, make things simple but with elegance.

20. Oddly enough I came across the term in a book on Japanese gardening (we have a Japanese garden at our shack)

21. hey man nice dune buggy or rather wabi sabi! wow i feel all worldly and in tune with the universe thanks mike!

22. Like the Buddhist monk said to the hot dog vendor: "make me one with everything."

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

You use your tongue prettier than a $10 whore.

No, really - that is a killer way to put it. I like it.
    - Joe

24. magnet

magnet

I had some of that on a hot dog once...

I feel it sometimes.. when i bust a knuckle.. or smash a finger... when i am just cruising at 65 with the windows down on a hot summer night..

sometimes it all evens out and you can feel the jagged lines be straight.

Just being able to know that you should feel them.. thats the trick

25. Hey Magnet... takes wasabi to get you to post here??? Hahaha!!!

Here's Mikes Japanese restaurant in his garden!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZk7-1uGmc4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZk7-1uGmc4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  26. "Like the Buddhist monk said to the hot dog vendor: "make me one with everything." "

OH, I get it now:rolleyes:

27. Muttley

Muttley

Asian food sucks, I only eat real American food like pizza and tacos.

28. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

Guy goes up to a buddhist monk hot dog vendor, orders a hot dog and hands him a 20 dollar bill - the monk hands him a hot dog and gives him a slight head nod. The patron asks 'hey man, where is my change?'. The monk smiles at him and says...

"Change must come from within"

[​IMG]

29. I dig it! The other interesting aspect of wabi sabi that applies to hot rodding is the element of simplicity (which is mentioned), but in wabi sabi the simplicity shows very complex concepts that cause reflective, deep thinking. Hence the zen element. For example, a Japanese temple may at first blush have very plain, clean, uncluttered appearance. The average person may just walk by and not take notice. But to study it in detail, you start to notice things and they make you wonder if they are planned at all because they are so natural and pure it makes you feel "one with nature." That temple may have a plain room with a window. But if you take a step in the right direction, you notice that window perfectly frames a well manicured pine tree (matsu). The view of that tree changes with the season.

Hence you have the perfect basis for a hot rod. Simple, but upon reflection has well thought out details, yet is ever changing (in the pursuit speed). I don't know about you, but I've sat and stared at a well built car for I don't know how long reflecting on the details. I've also been to many zen gardens doing the same thing and never really realized it was the same process and feeling until Mike brought it up.:cool:
    The other funny thing is that sabi also means rust! :D