Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire help- 6.00 16 conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PonchoJohn, May 7, 2009.

1. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Help! I'm looking for a cheap tire to slap on my 37 IHC truck just to make it a roller. It came w/ 6.00 16 tires, and while I've found some bias ply tires for sale, people seem to think they are gold.
    I'm just after something cheap to mount on the rims- does anyone know what a metric radial size equivalent might be?
    Thanks!
    John

2. E-racer

E-racer
    from STL

3. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Cool- thanks!
    It does list a 600-15. I've looked around a bit, and I may be S.O.L. for a 6 inch wide radial.
    The search goes on...

4. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

215/70/16 is really close and available. Find the Dunlop Grandtrek TG32. Those are a bit narrower than other brand in that size.

5. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Cool! Thanks for the info.
    Okay- you guys ain't gonna believe this, but as I was staring at my Harley, and pondering where to find some cheap tires, it occurs to me that I have a 150 80 16 on the back of it. Then I start thinking.... <dangerous>... maybe I can get some used tires from the Harley dealer and slip them on. Since they're just to make it a roller, it don't see the harm.:cool:

6. Squablow

Squablow

I got a couple of 16" space saver spares and mounted those tires on my '40 Chrysler when I needed to move it around. They're skinny 16 inchers and they went on the rims just fine, they took 6.00-16" tires originally.

A couple bucks apiece at the local junkyard should set you up, they usually don't want the tires anyway.

7. That's exactlly what I did........................bike tires don't know they are on truck rims.

8. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

ponchojohn Try [email protected] He sells tires His phone in ohio is3308721205 days and 3308721200 evenings A lot of the guys in this area use him for tires.

9. It might be cheaper to buy junk wheels with tires from a wrecking yard. What is your bolt pattern?

Charlie Stephens

10. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Wow fellas, thanks for all the input.
    The lug pattern looks to be a Ford/Dodge 5 on 4.5" style.
    Should be great for finding wheels, huh?

11. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

For figguring out tire size and gearing changes just use percentage instead of a complicated formula
    going from a 28" tall tire to a 33" tall tire divide 28 by 33 for a result of .848 or 85%. this means that the smaller tire is 85% the size of the taller tire and all other related components will differ by the same percentage. The 33" tire is 1-.85 or 15% taller and the rpm's will drop by 15%. It would be like going from 4:11 to 3:49 (4.11 x .85) and you can easily figgure out that your speedo will also be 15% off reading 47 mph at 55 and 60mph at 70 actual
    just remember that percent of change applies to all variables of a system.

To calculate a baseline of how far off your speedo is just drive 10 miles comparing the tenths of a mile to the actual even 10 miles and this will be the percentage that your speedo is off