Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too far gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dagenesta, May 3, 2009.

1. If it makes you feel better I just drug this home over the weekend and my 4 year old busted out something about buying a rusty car...lol

[​IMG]

2. vertible59

vertible59

Everything I've ever built was that bad or worse, so I say go for it. In the early 70s, I built my first completed rod project from a "worthless" '41 Plymouth 2-dr sedan. I got flamed and had ball busters all over me about that car when I first started to take it to "rod runs", but I didn't care...it was mine, and I loved it! Had more fun with that old "MorePower" than anything I've ever owned, and wish iI still had it. The main thing is not what the truck is worth, but what it is worth to you.

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

No, they're usually a LOT worse! ;)

4. dagenesta

dagenesta

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I plan on dragging it home one of these Saturdays. Might be a month or two until that happens. No worries, its not going anywhere.

I can't say that I have always wanted a '52 Dodge, but I have always wanted an old pickup of some sort to just tool around in and take to swap meets and such things. The 3-window thing in the rear is pretty cool, and I love the idea of a flathead 6. This is not the kind of thing I will spend a ton of money on to make "nice"; it will likely remain in its current cosmetic condition, but with a lot of effort put into the underpinnings to make it as safe as an old Dodge truck can be. Lotsa crazy drivers out there, gotta be able to stop you know. I'm thinking the most it will get hot rodded is lowered a bit and a clean seat (for now, LOL).

Is there a plan, or vision for the old heap? Yes. IF it can be made roadworthy, it will be my "shop truck."

Here's more pix, ones I took last Christmas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dagenesta

dagenesta

Thanks, I'll give you a shout.

You get poison oak? That's what's growing on the passenger side...

6. The_Forgotten

The_Forgotten
    from WNY

If I could find ANYTHING in that good of shape around me for that price it would be mine--I would buy it...

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

We built one of those in the sixties with a 392 Chrysler, cut the drive shaft on the porch with a hacksaw, and use that "metal lumber" punched out angle iron stuff to mount the push buttons in the dash...was a hoot then, so it certainly has potential now.

8. Chuck U&R

Chuck U&R
    from NC

9. I've seen people build a car that started out as a VIN tag and a frame, so that Dodge is hardly over the hill. Those early Pilot House Dodges have a pretty good following, and there is good parts availability, overall (I had a '50 Dodge B-2-HHA 1-1/2 ton that got nailed in the tornado six years ago!). I got mine running the day before it received serious damage from that tornado, and I then sold it to a guy in TX who used it to finish his '51. I was just the third owner of that truck from new!

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What is that in the mirror,another ride with possibilities? Divco?Step van? Metro?

11. dagenesta

dagenesta

Its a three-wheeled mail buggy of some sort. Its got a little twin under the seat.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Now theres some hot rod material,When you get the shop truck done,How about some pics of it in a (What would you do to it) thread?

13. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Not really worth it unless you dont have a project and can get it for a song and you can work on it as time progresses.

14. dagenesta

dagenesta

Originally Posted by dagenesta

It's closer to a motorcycle than an automobile.

15. havi

havi

been there done that!

My '48 f1 was in a poison Ivy patch. Hottest day of the year, too. :(

16. That ol' Dodge would have went home with me for $100 bucks...Of course I would have offered $50 bucks...just to see where I stand...but then I'm cheap....Now get her home!

17. I've built from worse!!

18. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Looks pretty solid.

19. It's a gonner. Can't be fixed.
    I'll haul it off for you, cheap. :)
    Seriously - I'd wager most of us on this board, who don't have a trust fund, have started with rougher and had a blast with their project.
    Glad I found this thread - my kid wants a 5-window project, and I didn't even know Dodge was an option.

20. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

the more you "work" on it, the cleaner it gets. i saved an old 59 ford truck from the crusher and now i want another one. more importantly, i learned a lot. old trucks are limitless with the odd jobs around any household.
    you have documented family history on it too. i say get it.

21. I've actually been keeping an eye out for a decent one of those for cheap. At one time I had a cute little 55 dodge shorty stepside with the short-sides box.....had a stock flathead 6, 3 speed and it ran really well. Had deep chromies with gray primer and I dug driving it.
    I wouldn't mind a good '48-'53 ugly dodge to update with a dropped axle, decent brakes [dodge brakes were spooky!], dual exhaust and 12 volts...maybe even a T-5 tranny.