Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, now we have no MIG welders at school anymore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, May 6, 2009.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I take welding as a class in highschool, and now we have a major problem. We have 2 very old miller mig welders, one flux and one with .030 solid. We've been having some issues with them, and finally got them to where they welded really nice. Yesterday, one of them started welding funny, and the voltage couldnt be adjusted from 20 volts. The other one wouldnt turn on. After much delebration and testing with the electronics teacher and a schematic, it turns out the main transformer in one of the machines gave out, and the primary coilpacks in the other machine are fried. these machines are over 30 years old, and parts are just not available anymore, or are an option with as much work it would take to have them repaired. To top it all off, our district has been steadly laying off teachers to try to cut costs, and 2 $3500 welders arnt going to sit well with then, speaking that we've had to fight to keep the metalshop program.

So now we have no mig welders :mad:

2. johnboy13

johnboy13

Can the good transformer be used in the other welder?

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

the $400 Lincolns from Lowe's work better then the old machines
    everyone that wants to weld anything should buy one .

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Did you call Miller and ask them? Maybe they want to help out a school ?

5. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

thats what i said, and the district doesnt want to even try. They're gonna sell em as is, but that wont cover the cost of even 1 new machine

6. There must be someone who would be willing to donate a couple of old, but still seviceable machines for a tax writoff. If I were the instructor, I would start beating the bushes. My old instructor got in good with the old Lockheed Skunk Works and they donated many thousands of dollars worth of stuff to his welding program.

7. slepe67

slepe67

In my world, sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission...

there has to be a way. Hell, raise a car wash, bake sale, auction off your services to pay for it...

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

If you don't do it for yourself, no one else will.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

get with other students, set up a paypal and use this great resource called the internet to raise some equipment money, nothing wrong with raising money for a school.

10. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Have the students call miller. I go to Cal Poly Pomona University, and even though we are a university, I'm sure they'd help you guys out. They donated like 40 machines here so I can't see why they would see that two would hurt.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they may have some good refurbished ones too that they may donate, I know it's important for companies like that to keep young people interested in metal work.

12. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Miller offers a deep Schools & Institutions discount. Get ahold of Norpac Airgas and have them put you in touch with the local Miller rep.

13. Look for a man named Chris Cumberworth. He works for Miller and will have an idea as to what options there are.

14. lolife

lolife

This is your chance to become a capitalist!

Get with your Dean of Boys, and ask him to authorize you writing a letter to a welding supply dealership, or a manufacturer. Have him QC the letter with you.

15. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Also you could think of calling the pipe fitter's union for support as well! They prolly wouldn't mind throwing out some support for the sake of welding education!

16. Call any of the welding companies and see if they will help. Its only a phone call, the worst they can do is say no. Atleast try !!!!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

18. El-Cid

El-Cid

It'd be a shame to put that kind of dent in a HS welding program. My son is graduating Saturday from a great Metal Fab program as a certified AWS welder and his love of metal fab came from his High School classes. It'd be ridiculous to deny anyone that opportunity. Hopefully a solution will get figured out.

19. Really sorry to hear that man. I'm in the welding technologies program here at the local community college. Miller is really good about helping schools out. During a recent construction project at the school water got into three machines and fried some of the internal part. Miller sent replacements within one day free of charge. I don't know who was contacted at the company but I'm sure one of your local welding supply place knows a person or two and they could help you out.

20. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Please take a minute and go and post the biginning of this thread here.

I posted this thread there to see if anyone can help you out.

Guys there will help you. They helped me fix my machine before.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  21. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Why is it we support everything but when it come to education we have no money. I have the same problem at my school the air compressor quit a month ago and the school system can not afford to repair it. Good luck make some phone calls some one may be willing to help.

22. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

You mean you have done nothing and you are all out of ideas?

Why not actually talk to the school before assuming they won't pay to fix 'em.

23. Have your shop teacher check with your state's surplus yard and keep checking for equipment like that. I see lots of that kind of stuff go to auction both state and federal.

24. State and local government auctions, plus DRMO military surplus auctions held by the GSA, are all good options. Plus, generally, schools and other government entities are given first crack at stuff, sometimes before a list is ever made public. Get on these lists (they are FREE!) and you will be notified when the things your school needs, come up for auction. I know that in Oklahoma State surplus auctions, schools and state and local agencies are given first shot.

25. chopt31

chopt31

call a local manufacturing company that employs welders, most factories upgrade machines, im sure they would donate a machine or 2...

26. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

we had the same prob at my high school.. we talked to the miller rep and he got us 2 really nice refurbished machines. start making calls to everyone and anyone. nothing can hurt ya at this point.

27. LowBird66

LowBird66
    from Boston Ma

Dude thats a great quote!

28. bet the school has money to run a sports bus anywhere

now i rember why i did not go into teaching and the budget cuts are sure targeted to the shop programs
    I am sure that many shop teachers are close to losing jobs,I know this for sure , so they are trying to make no waves or they will be cut and the program closed

29. dentprone

dentprone

Yeah, makes me sick, too. And some of the coaches here (rural area) make these kids think they are all going to hit the big time. Next thing they know, they are working at the Foodway.

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Somebody needs to get educated(at that school) on how much a good MIG costs. And, purchase them without the tank/regulator/accessories, recycle those off the broke ones, and get good new ones for about $400 each!