Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead vacuume line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by srosa707, May 6, 2009.

1. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Is the line that runs from the intake to the distributor on the 59A a vacuume line? Mine was kind of shredded and split so im wondering if i need to re-run it or can i just plug it off? This is a stock motor.

2. LabRat

LabRat

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Well, my manifold has a fitting below the base of the carb that had a line running off of it. Im not sure where the line goes, mine was snapped off. And im at work so i cant snap a pic of it. Anyone know what im refering to?

4. Missing Link

Missing Link

The vacuum line on a 59A doesn't need to connect to the carb base. It connects to the intake manifold on one end and the distributor at the other. Although I suppose it depends on the carb & manifold combination being used.

Regardless, the vacuum line you are referring to actuates the vacuum brake in the distributor.

If I am not mistaken, it is actually a non-vacuum line. In other words under vacuum conditions it allows the vacuum brake to operate freely and under non-vacuum conditions it engages the vacuum brake.

Maybe I have that backwards. It's been a while...

And, yes you need it hooked up on a stock motor. It makes the distributor function (Advance/Retard) correctly.

Last edited: May 6, 2009

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes you are correct Missing Link on all aspects.
    This gentleman has a 59A and the vacuum hookup is different.

6. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Well, the intake has the vaccume line but what else mounts in that spot? Mine has an odd opening, and i cant figure out what else is supposed to be there?

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

My 59ab have a vacuum running off the manifold to the timing cover (block by timing cover) The banjo fitting on the manifold has a pass through for the wipers.

8. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

So thats for the wipers. Hmmm, how can i plug that? Maybe i can just run a fitting into that washer port for the vacuum line?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Port is a BOLT size, not a pipe size...bolt clamps down the banjo fitting. Other end goes to a port on front cover right by vac brake.
    Pass through can be blocked with common modern vac cap, the copper washers can be scavenged from modern brake hardware.

10. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I don't want to get in any hotwater with Bruce, besides being 100% correct, he has helped me and many others with many problems with our flatheads. He is a genius as far as I'm concerned and I don't know a 1/1000 of what he knows. Truly an asset to this site.

Here was my experience. Went to napa and ask for a banjo fitting that would fit these peices. I took the old banjo fitting and the line. He went in the back and after a few minutes he brought one back.

I did have a hell of a time getting the old fitting out as it snapped in the manifold and had to be heated and removed (I was having the manifold hot tanked, surfaced, and painted). Just plugging it may be the way to go.

Attached Files:

11. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Instead of running the banjo fitting, can u just run a copper fitting into the large hole?