Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a 1935 Pontiac flathead 6.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Croney, Apr 14, 2009.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If you can find a 54' intake and carb, they use a 2bbl. Most everything will change over from 35-54.

If you get into a rebuild , California Pontiac Restoration should have everything that you need, thats where I got my stuff from for my 41 239.

If you bore it out be aware that it could have up to 5 differant bore sizes already. They vary by .005 or .0005 I don't remember what it was, the top of the block should have some letters stamped on top of the block next to the cylinders bores, my 239 in the 41 is this way also. That was for on the assembly line the builder could put the matching piston in for the bore size according to the letter stamped .

CPR should have pistions in aluminum as well .

2. Croney

Croney

Hey 55Chieftain,

I'm going to Fabricate a new manifold for twin 94-7s in the future so the adapter will be ok for a while. How does you 239er go? Are you happy with the performance and reliablity of the 6? What mods have you done to your flatty? I've always liked 6 bangers. I'm just look for some good feedback so I know I'm doing the right thing sticking with the 208;). I know Aftermarket part availablity is poor, but thats what this is about... can't buy it, make it;). I'm attached, and I like making slow things faster:D.

Maybe there's even a blower on the horizon.... way,way off in the horizon.:rolleyes:

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

My 41 is 2nd in line to my 55. I hope to have it running this year, but havn't driven it yet. Supposed to go 75 mph.

This first pic was posted before here on the hamb, I think there are several performance threads here about the L-head Pontiacs. Or build a 6 cyl version of the 54 Bonneville special.

Attached Files:

4. Croney

Croney

Hey Krooser,

What does he say the things that make this a poor engine are? Is it the engine itself or the accessories (Carb, ignition, manifolds, etc) ? What happens at highway speeds? You were just a little vague in your post:rolleyes:. I'd rather keep the original motor... cheap cool motors are a bit hard to come-by here in Oz.

5. Croney

Croney

Some pictures... not a glamour I'm sure:rolleyes:. The Crossmember is corroded through from where moisture has been, I looking for a replacement and IF SOMEONE HAS ONE PLEASE TELL ME:D. Everything else is fine and just needs a blast. The wood in the doors will be replaced by myself, lucky the roof and other wood is still solid and no replacement is required.

Attached Files:

6. unclechop

unclechop

Ive got a 1953 (2bbl) spare manifold if you are interested.

7. timothale

timothale

The caddy on my sawmill is sometimes hard to turn over when it has been setting for a while. . after the oil soak I use a big screw driver or pry bar and pull the starter and work the teeth on the ring gear. a lot more leverage than on the front I work it back and forth then can get it running to make sawdust and a lot of noise.

8. timothale

timothale

I always liked the old wcd 2 barrel carbs Gm used. they are a lot better than 97's or 94's and were used by amc until the end. 97's tend to leak and were only good if you ran alky or nitro because the castings had enough meat to bore out the passages

9. Great advice.

10. Croney

Croney

Thanks for the help guys but I'm just going to tear it down. I pulled off the fuel pump (which still operates) and the pump arm was covered in a sort of rust coloured flake. Hoo-ray.... So I'm not to optimistic about what I'll find once shes opened up. We'll see soon. Are you talking about the 97's leaking externally or internally? I heard they leak interally on idle if you've got too much fuel pressure (over 3 PSI at idle) using a electric pump, I was told to run a stock type mechaical pump to combat that. What do you guys think?

11. Croney

Croney

WIll she be hard to rebuild? I have a 34-39 Oldsmobile Factory manual, all GMs from this time were basically the same right?