Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got the FED out today - much joy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, May 2, 2009.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Got the FED to the track to day for some much needed seat time, but the day ended early when we spit part of the front seal out of the cover:mad:

Not sure what woudl cause that as the motor has plenty of braether area.

No spare seals or tools to pull it (we tried with what we could borrow)

So we chalked it up to a Character Building Day :p

On the bright side we saw some really cool iron making runs and some friends of ours got to make their first pass in their vintage fed!!!! Sweet!!!!!

QUAKER CITY ---> COOL TRACK - SUPER NICE PEOPLE RUNNING THE SHOW -We'll be back for sure!!!!

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Onelow34

Onelow34

Tough luck bro! I used to live outside of canton, where are you running at?

3. Part of the learning curve but it still stinks. I'm watching and listening to learn from anybody actually doing it!

4. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

you know what they say... " A bad day at the track..................

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Onelow34, We usually run at Thompson but today went out to Quaker City for their Nostalgia Wars - nice track - nice people!!!

Kerry, Yep - no doubt about it!! I was too beat tired today (took the last couple days off work to prep the car - oops!) I will take it apart tomorrow and see if there's any signs of what caused this.

I'm running a Cragar 2 piece cover - that was modified to accept a "stock" seal - which was NEW last year. My cragar cover was also modified with a seal retainer that prevents the seal (housing) from getting expelled. However in my case you can see just a small piece of the LIP ITSELF has rolled over and the moment that happened I saw a puffy mist in front of the motor and killed the mag. Still not sure what would cause that. I am starting to wonder if I put factory oil slinger in place or not (being a cheap bastage I run a stock chain) - makes me wonder if I was able to fit it back in there or not - tomorrow we'll see.

Jersey, You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Does your cragar cover have a crank support bearing in it?

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sorry about the seal deal. hell, I always see a puffy mist out the front of the engine, thats no reason to kill the mag!!, that just means it's getting some heat in it!!:D If it completes the run and it's dry, you just got lucky cause it just completed a pass with no oil in it!!

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Lippy - ha ha ha - naw this was a SERIOUS puff - the kind where you go "ah shit" in your mind if not outloud!!!!

But the problem is SOLVED. I just pulled the dampener - it looked fine, but the issue was definitely there.

To recap - I DID have the factory Oil Slinger in place - this was a MAJOR component. MY Cragar cover was MODIFIED to accept a STOCK SEAL - normally the Cragar covers run a smaller OD seal. Mine was purcahsed this way and I ASSUME it was modified as I've NOT seen another one that accepts a factory seal - maybe mine was early production or something like that - I dunno. In anyevent the STOCK SEAL is WIDER than the cover itself - so when installed with a retainer like I have the seal is FLUSH to the front surface of teh cover - and hence the ISSUE. With it flush the BACK of the seal actually contacts the OIL SLINGER. This causes a well or cavity for oil to sit in (it was actually FULL of oil when I took it apart) - give it some R's and well the oil wants to go somewhere.......

So why did this happen today (yesterday) after making earlier passses without incident??

I believe that was a result of our pit area - we were on an incline and I think it was just enough for oil to continue to fill that well faster than it could leak out. Now not for a minute am I blaming this on the pits (they weren't THAT unlevel) I think this issue has been lingering the entire time - this was just the little extra that brought it to light. Actually I am QUITE HAPPY this happened where it did - much better than on the track surface!!!!!

Anyways that's the long and short of it. I will now have to decide what I want to do to fix this. Make a retainer than shifts the seal forward??? Get a narrower seal???

In any event it is an easy fix!!!!!

Life is Good!!!

BTW Kerry - no the Cragar cover does not have the bearing/crank support - I was saving THAT cover for the supercharger!!!!

9. You know what they say ""A Bad Day At The Track Beats The Shit Out Of A Good Day At Work"" I'll bet you still had a ton of fun !! >>>>.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah, good thing you caught it when you did. Down track can be slippery. Plus your firesuit cleaning person will hate you. :D Remember....chute first!!! Always!! You'll get it fixed. you have to go through these llittle issues with any new deal....it's the law. :p

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

yeah - I owe it to clean livin' - :eek:

Chute first -got it!:D

Problems aren't bad when you can figure them out (or at least think you're figuring them out!)

We DID still have a BLAST!!!!

Here's some pics showing the problem (sorta) and the probable solution (in process) All that's left is to add the holes & reassemble!

yee haw - let's go racin'

Attached Files:

12. LZ

LZ

Hey Jacin:

Good to hear from you.
    Sorry about the incident but stuff happens.
    Good thing is that you were out and it was an easy fix.
    Sounds like it was a nice event and someone will post some pics.

You going to the Thompson Gasser Race??
    Supposed to Run a FED Race separately I hear??:confused:

take care
    Luke

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

How long did it run before it did this? What breather setup do you have, and what color curtains are in your bathroom?, oops sorry got carried away. :D I know the oil has alky in it, but what kind of oil is it if you don't mind me asking. You are on alky right?

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Hey Luke, How you been doing lately???

Any day at the track is a good day!! Besides it's all back together now. This time aside from measuring everything I also took an allen key and probed to make certain there was clearance in there.

Yeah it was a nice event - no doubt. I think the only downside was the guys wanted to get more passes in. I have no doubt this event will grow into something really cool!

Yes we're planning on going to the gasser reunion - weather permitting. First I heard anything about a separate FED race??? Hmnnnnnn......

Lippy, we had just fired the motor and were checking temps and setting the mag - wasn't running long. The oil was changed the night before - matter of fact I had the pan off that night.

Prior to this happening we had 5 passes on the motor.

The oil is Rotella - I see it looks pretty goofy in the pics - I think that is in part due to my camera flash - it doesn't look that goofy in person.

Yes we're on alky. There are breathers on both covers - I am pretty certain this issue wasn't that. The curtains are a pink and light light green color - there's probably a goofy name to call 'em , but that's the wife's domain <GRIN>

A fella in the pit next to us was watching the motor and he SWORE the crank was walking 1/8-1/4" by his description. I looked closely at the seal surface on the balancer - the witness mark was exactly as wide as the seal. I think he was seeing an optical illusion. First off I couldn't move the crank by hand - front to back. Next I had the pan off the night before - nothing - no signs of any metal at all. I also cut the filter apart - again nothing in there either. What we do have is a GENUINE HILBILLY TIMING TAPE - I think it may have been flapping in the breese making the dampener appear to be moving as we rev'd the motor.

It was one of those last minute things last year and well everybody knows that the 3M masking tape is better than the run of the mill junk Kmart sells - so I guess it's time to upgrade to the "good" stuff. Now where's my 3M tape at......Jill?????

Attached Files:

15. LZ

LZ

Hey Jacin:

Check this out

http://www.thompsonracewaypark.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57

It says this about 3/4 way down:

Winner of each class will run off for overall Nostalgia gas winner

Alterds/Dragsters A/D

Dial in run together F.E. dragsters only :):D:cool:

Hot Rod (1972 and older)

HR-1 0. – 10.99
    HR-2 11.00 up

A guy here with a FED was telling me about this..

You know you most likely have plenty of Breathing.. If you had pressures to blow a seal out, something else would probably have gone first. IMOP
    Your on the right track with checking the seal and clearances..

How well does Rotella separate Alcohol out?? Never seen it used in that situation before.
    Keep us updated its good to hear your posts
    Luke

16. LZ

LZ

Hey Lippy:
    Love your car.
    Watched you build up through the years at HRE.:)

Have you gotten a new Engine together yet??
    Whats your schedule this year. Would Love to see your Car.
    Ill bring the Brats......:p

I have a Hemi affliction also..

Attached Files:

17. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Lippy, Luke is RIGHT - your car is awesome - love the MOTOR!!!!!!!!!

Well since I think I got this oil seal deal fixed I figured I might as well try ans start tying up loose ends - no not the Hilbily Timing Tape - that's a keeper. I was thinking the more important stuff like the lettering on the kill switch. My buddy reminded me that I was supposed to have fixed that this winter so well - I finally got around to it. Not too bad for a Barefoot Machinist - ok so I'm a tad jaded.:eek: Good thign the letters were simple!!!!

Attached Files:

18. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

It was good seeing you yesterday. If I wasn't so overloaded right now, I'd post a photo of your warmup. Maybe later.
    Too bad you didn't get to run, you may have had an adventure like Henry did. I'm still pissed he ran with the bracket cars, and I wasn't there.

19. brandon

brandon

probably a good thing you didn't hit thompson ( minus all that ihra meet stuff:D) heard they were having issues with water seeping up thru the track at the big end......and parking was all goofed up

20. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

It was very nice meeting you too!

WHAT!!! Henry ran with the bracket guys!!!!

After all this - I ENDED UP missing Henry's launch - that was WORSE than blowing out that seal!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So far Henry and I have taken turns with issues at the track -so we STILL have a DATE to make a side by side!!!!!!!

21. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

It must have been one helluva wheelstand from what I heard. Asked Henry how high it was, and he said REAL high.

22. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Yeah, I sorta figured it was REAL HIGH by the size of his Shit Eating Grin - you couldn't wipe that off with 36 grit sand paper. So glad he had as much fun as he did!!!!!

23. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

24. greenracing

greenracing
    from NE Ohio

I saw you guys over there and meant to wander over a few pit 'blocks' and check out the rails, but for some reason I never made it - next time...

Sorry to hear about the seal, but it looks like you've got things figured out now. Switch labels? I've still got mine written on with a Sharpie :eek:

It did turn out to be a pretty good event - a bit late (I didn't get out of there until midnight), but a nice event.

Some nice shots Bob - as always. I see the sun tried to shine for some of them.

I think the a/d class at Thompson is the same altered/dragster class that they've had every year. They only allow front engine cars, but it's all the altereds and the FEDs that show up. It's a dial-type bracket class.

Perry

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  25. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

You need a new Avatar Perry. See what I can come up with later.

26. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

My buddy took a few pics as well...

...hey look my first wheelie - not!!!!!!

Attached Files:

27. greenracing

greenracing
    from NE Ohio

How'd I do Bob :)

28. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Looks good!!

29. I thought the Prefect looked familiar but didn't recognize the paint scheme! I have to say one thing after watching that thing run as hard as it does on that short wheelbase.....do you have to buy special underware to hold your balls?:eek:

I absolutely loved watching you spank Happy Pappy after his BIG long bunout:cool:.

I was talking to Al Goodman about building an altered and we somehow got to talking about your car. Looks good and seemed to go pretty straight! Hopefully we'll catch you at Thompson.

30. greenracing

greenracing
    from NE Ohio

That's why competition belts have a crotch strap :D

We'll be at Thompson for the Pro-B 8.50 class.

OK Bob - I'm waiting... I know, I've already surpassed my run count for the year :rolleyes:

(sorry for hijacking your thread HemiRambler...)