Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

2. a 1950's or early 60 Cunningham

3. davesville

davesville

i learned to drive in a paddock car .a simca aronde a chrysler product.at the age of fifteen i needed more power so i located a simca vedette v8 with what i remember as having a v8 60 motor.being young and silly i couldnt get it going so i trashed it .not rare cars then but i have not seen one since

4. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Has anyone mentioned the Ruger Touring cars? Bill (firearms) Ruger was going to go into production, but only built 2. They looked like a Bentley Van den Plas touring car, had a 427 side oiler and toploader for power, really looked like a late 20s car, not a replica. I saw both of them on display at the NY auto show about 68 or 69.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1083901/index.htm

Attached Files:

5. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

I visited a nice guy in his 60`s this saturday who has a one off 1924 Packard Town Car built for the Swedish prime minister in 1924 on a 154 inch chassis. That car is HUGE.. Huge eight.. all parts have big truck ish size to them and the body was made so the Prime minister could walk upright into the rear of the car with proper top hat on.. Pretty tall... :D

6. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

67 rsr porsche...

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I Drove A.L. stainless steel 36 Ford in 1986, also saw Bugatti Royale in Cunningham museum in the 70s.

Ago

8. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

My father used to talk about an old truck he owned in 1975. It was a 1972 International 1/2 ton pickup with a 345 and automatic transmission. I know what you're thinking, "I've seen a hundred of those." But this one was what they called a "Johnny Reb" edition. With a confederate flag painted on the hood and a painting of a little Johnny Reb soldier on the quarter panel it was probably the rarest International pickup w/only about 500 built. They were only built for the southeast states. My dad bought his in Arkansas then moved back to California where he sold it in 1975. It was last seen in the L.A. area where he sold it. Anyone have any pics of these old trucks?

9. This one just about 'takes the cake' for me! An Auburn ambulance!!!
    It didn't say what year, but I'd guess early to mid '30's.
    It was posted either yesterday or today on the H.A.M.B. "Cool Pictures" thread.

Attached Files:

10. hemiboy

hemiboy

A Doble steam Roadster, about a 1924, in Emmet, Idaho, on the way back from the 10th Yellowstone run. The guy said it was a custom build for Howard Hughes. It was waaaay big and fast!

11. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

How about a 1929 peerless 120 with a continental inline 8?

12. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

I saw a Stevens-Duryea last summer at a local car dealer car show.

13. the rarest 2 i know of are "split51"'s mazda 2 ton 3 wheeled truck, and "oldguard" once owned a 73 GTO 'vert that pontiac said they never made.

14. TomWar

TomWar

in 1963, My buddy Pete and I were in the north central valley of California, in a wrecking yard we found a1935 Willys 4 door sedan,and bought it for $100.00. Later we ran across a guy that lived on the river and had Crosley engines running all kinds of stuff. pumps,generators, a cable car across the river and more. He gave me 8 Crosley bodies, coupes, sedans, p/u.
    At about the same time, my Mother wrecked her 1955 Chrysler New Yorker, so we put the engine in the Willys. It was featured on the cover of "Popular Hotrodding" in 1965. I have only seen 2 more of these, 1 with no fenders from Michigan or there abouts, and Harrahs collection in Reno had one.

15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I can understand the mangled rear frame,to get the diff head out often meant cutting away part of the Tube frame ..:eek:.
    I still think a 9" with watts link is going backwards,if I had the DeDion assembly I would be using a 9" center with axles etc to suit.
    I have a pic of the one we had here somewhere but it's lost among the files . It's an alloy bodied car with the 365/327. It will be raced in Europe in the next years historic season.

16. paintslinger

paintslinger
    from Kemah, Tx

2 of the rarest cars i have seen "1904 Autocar"
    and Steve McQueen's Porsche. I had the pleasure of pinstriping both of them. The Porsche was originally striped by "Von Dutch" Kenneth Howard.

Attached Files:

17. FASI

FASI

I had the all stainless steel '36 Ford Tudor stored in my garage for a weekend in 1972. Pretty neat car.

18. Not so much HAMB related but here goes. A 1983 Corvette, Chevy built one. I saw it at the Bowling Greene Corvette Museum. There is an interesting story behind it as Chevrolet wanted it to be destroyed the employees at the plant disassembled it and hid the parts all over the plant. Chevy surrendered and the car was reassembled and put in the Corvette museum! It was the prototype to the 84 and looked very similar, back then they were ok, today I would have to pass even if one was given to me. I'll stick with C-1's.:cool::)

19. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

I once went to look at a cord, I think a 1936, it was missing the front subframe. I wasn't into hot rods yet or I would have bought it and put a subframe in it with a non-lasalle powerplant. It was a beautiful car. I actually found it in the recycler!!!!! Boy, those were the days!

20. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

My 55 Lincoln is one of about 25,000 Lincolns made in 55 and one of about 11,500 Capris for that year. The few survivors will for sure the most rare car I have owned. (although I was pleasantly surprised to see another VERY NICE 55 Capri in Las Cruces at the last car show I attended, the only other I have ever seen in person)

I have a buddy who has a 28 Chevy 4 door sedan. I am sure the production numbers for this car were much higher than my Lincoln's production numbers, but I doubt there are a lot of these cars left.

A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of fixing the HEI and taking two leafs out of the back to soften it up a little. It is a VERY COOL and RARE car.

Someday I will post up some pics... It should tickle the opposing edges of "traditional" and "street rod" well enough to be accepted by MOST folks here... :D

21. skwurl

skwurl

1929 Jewitt. I cant even find a picture of one on the net

22. I believe the last Jewett was built in 1926

[​IMG]

23. hep1966

hep1966

I recently saw the General Lee...
    [​IMG]

24. here's some rare General Lee

Attached Files:

25. Rdrokit

Rdrokit

Here's a few photos of my old 1940 Studebaker champion coupe. Don't see too many of those around especially on a tube frame running a LS-6 454.

Attached Files:

26. flyinggoose

flyinggoose

You could be talking about R. Buckminster Fuller's car from the 30's called the Dymaxion. It had an 85 HP Ford Flatty, carried 11 passengers and got 30 miles per gallon.

http://ardiandhani.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/the_dymaxion.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=d...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  27. Rdrokit

Rdrokit

Saw this at a car show, think it was called a Helicon. Weird. If you ever hit a pedestrian they would be chop meat.:eek:

Attached Files:

28. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I saw a 1924 Star at a farm auction in the seventies. I probably should have bought it.

29. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Well, here they go again! (1) He didnt make it look like a ,34 Ford, it looks just as it is. (2) Its not a billet-digital gauged (he used Terraplane Gauges)Air ?? POS! (3) Who makes repo ,33 Essex bodies?? (4) This is what "Hot-Roddin" is all about! (5) I,ll just have to post pics of a ,33 Hupmobile Coupe next for all you to complain about. (6) Go to a Hot Rod show and bring your crying towel!

30. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Saw this one last week end. It is a 1960 Lola Race Car. It was tiny but fast. That is an Austin Healey Sprite sitting next to it for size comparison.[​IMG][/IMG]