Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Plan Our Summer Vacation in South Dakota and Wyoming!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, May 1, 2009.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Some of you might remember my commentary on our trip to Austin last year, and all the cool stuff we saw along the way. If not, and you'd like to, it's here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330788

So, all you travel and cool places to go gurus, we're heading West from St. Paul just after BTT50's, and will make Pierre, SD on the 22nd of June. From there, we just need to get to Sheridan WY by that Thursday. We had planned on stopping on the way out or back to see the usual, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind In The Cave, The Badlands, Devils Tower.

But I got to thinking, some of you (especially the ones that live there) might be able to recommend some great two lane blacktop dinners and stops that we should see. Our whole trip will be on the two lanes, so no superslabs please.

So, from Pierre Sd, where should we go next to see this great Country?

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's a no-brainer, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

From Spearfish head south, then thru Casper then west to the Grand Tetons then north thru Yellowstone, around the top and exit the east entrance to Cody. Continue east to Sheridan. perfect two day run.

3. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Try and plan a stop through Cody, Wyoming. Cool little city, Buffalo Bill muesem is there, and its the east entrance to Yellowstone. Every time I get that direction I try and go through Cody, cool city. Make sure and hit the silver dollar and grab a beer... MMMMMmmm....Cool bar!!

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yeah, that and the fact there's a cool scrapbook store there.:D

[​IMG]

5. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, you two stopped at a craft/scrapbook store? Whoda thunk it?

:D

6. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Hands down agree with ladycrusr!!:D

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Ok, so I need to clarify, I listed the "touristy" places we plan on traveling to, and Sheridan is about as far west as our time will allow. So we'll go for a ride up the Big Horns for some of a day. The big National Parks are AWESOME. But as most of you may not know, Shoebox Mags is from Montana, and lives a couple of hours from Glacier, and I've been to Yellowstone. So we've been there, and truely want to go again. But on this trip, we want to see and experience AMERICA. The America that still exists on the U.S. Highways. Like U.S. 14 that we'll be taking into Pierre SD from Nicollet Minn.

Now, anyone know of those great places to eat that most folks don't know about? You know, the ones that have been in business on Main Street since 189X, and in the same family for all that time. Or that awesome state park that the cattle on the superslab never see? The kind with the local history they don't teach you about in U.S. History class. Or that town that's stuck in 1938 and still surviving. Come one guys, spill!

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I can't help you on the good food places but if you don't want to go that far west here are a couple of things.

Custer State Park. Neat old park; is where Needles Highway is and has some old lodges and cabins to stay at. Pretty laid back and quiet.

Keep going south and by Hot Springs you will find the Mammoth site. Place where you can find alot of old hairy dudes. :)

Keep going south you will end up in Nebraska and a couple hour drive will get you to Carhenge.

Up north in South Dakota, a nice drive is Spearfish Canyon.

I can't think of any of the little, out of the way, must see spots. I am sure others will help on that.

Neal

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody's mentioned all the sites to see around Rapid City, SD: Mt. Rushmore (see it BOTH during the day and at night), tour the Black Hills National Park, Town of Deadwood (where Wild Bill Hickock was shot), Crazy Horse Memorial, etc. Breathtaking area.

10. It sucks out here, stay home. ;)

11. SDFastOne

SDFastOne
    from Pierre,SD

Hey I live in Pierre. Our family love cars & bikes.
    If you want a place to crash (Lower level walkout with bar & big screen tv) & a garage for your ride PM me.Oh the best place for a steak cooked on my grill on the deck. If you decide to leave Minneapolis early - weather or whatever - we are have NHRA 1/4 mile drag racing that weekend. Family owned track. If you want to stay in a hotel let me know & I will PM you some info. If you are going to Deadwood SD. My uncle rents homes there. I can get you a deal. Later GR

12. Kevin, you got mail

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

take 14 up and over the Big Horns. Through Dayton from Sheridan. Great trip, fabulous sites, lodges on top, awesome aroma. can be cold at 12000'

14. Dan

Dan

Beartooth Pass, if its open, is awesome. Its outside Red Lodge MT. If you get anywhere near Miles City MT and need anyone let me know...

15. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

First off my husband and I visit Wyoming alot. Our son is in school there. Thermopolis is a really neat place. We will be there in May 09. http://www.thermopolis.com/ I lived in Wy over 5yrs. The town was Sundace, Wy just miles from Spearfish and Rapid City, SD. I've seen just about everything in both states. Also I have to agree with Neal that Spearfish Canyon is very nice and Deadwood has some good ole diner's and a Gold Mine there. Good luck and have a safe trip. If your on the road and pass a black dodge w/tan camper shell, and blue tailgate, with a Blue Heeler hanging out the window that's us.
    God Bless
    Vicki

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  16. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome guys!! I'm going to make a list of all the places you guys mentioned, and see how they can fit into the trip. PM sent SDFastOne!

We had planned on Mt. Rushmore and Crazyhorse, Deadwood, Wind In The Cave, The SD Badlands (probably on the way back). Spearfish Canyon sounds awesome!!

17. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Make sure you drive down Spearfish Canyon. that is one of the most beautiful drives there is up here.

18. chumly2071

chumly2071

If you hit Wyoming, definitely see Devil's tower. Awesome scenery, both at the park, and the drive in to it... We did that trip (and Rushmore/Crazy horse) last September. Well worth the trip. There is also a very scenic drive through the country side that takes you to several different viewing points of Rushmore. From my experience, do Rushmore first, then go see Crazy horse. we did it in the opposite order, and I was much more impressed with the scale of Crazy horse.

19. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Wall Drug,s near the Badlands, if you get close see the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD.

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The South Dakota badlands are o.k. About a 30 minute stop. The real badlands are in North Dakota. If that works into your trip then you have Medora, T. Roosevelt Park, and more. Changes from a 30 minute stop to a day or two.

Neal

21. Every road trip requires jerky.

In Nicollet, Minnesota, stop in at George's City Meats and load up on jerky. George's is a little place right next to the gas station in town. Just a couple of blocks off 14.

22. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

If you are going anywhere in Nebraska. Frontier Village is Fantastic. no F A N T A S T I C.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Corn Palace is a must see, but go down the street to the Zeppilin Museum, that was really interesting.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

25. Kev, I can keep you busy for weeks just in the Hills and Badlands. In fact we can have a cold one and watch the sunset over Mt Cooledge to the West and light up the Badlands to the East of my place. Many stops mentioned are touristy, I can get you off the beaten track.

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Spearfish Canyon is nice but Needles Highway blows it way for scenic drives in the area.

Oh yeah, and don't think you're going to meet "Carla", she doesn't exist.:rolleyes:

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Make sure you run the "pigtails" in the Blak Hills, that's always a kick...

R-

28. Thats what Phat Rat says!:eek:

29. TomH

TomH

Kevin, you can spend two days easy just in the Black Hills of SD. We do every year with our roadster reliability run.

Attached Files:

30. TomH

TomH

If you go through Mitchell SD, stop at Clock Works. He builds kick ass bikes. Also in Watertown there is Lake Area Rod & Custom. If you need any info PM me.

Tom