Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

"SPIRIT" INFRACTIONS !!!!! :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: OMG, SO MANY !!!!!!!
    Where to start, .......... where .. to .. start ........ :mad:
    Gdmfsob, I'm gonna need another ticket book! :rolleyes:

Good one 348. :D
    Gotta love those shots of Willie (Dwight of course ;), not "slick"). :cool:

I think I just icon OD'd.

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

WHAT!! Where in the rules does it say we can't run a body and a wing.......:p

OK.......I'll grant you, the rear tires might be slightly wider than allowed, but that's probably from the low air pressure and tread wear.:D

The Dodge Flathead 6 in there looks just fine!:rolleyes:

3. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

LOL....good ones guys. I'm usually not hitting on all my cylinders but I'm not crazy enough to drive anything like that. I'll make sure Dwight see's this ....he'll get a kick out of it.

Just waiting for the weather to get warm enough to go racing.

Ron

4. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Picked up an Ace Hardware Top Fuel Dragster Frame Painting Kit today. They were out of the HA/GR painting kits. I hope this isn't a "Spirit Violation".:D

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Considering that our style of cars were the forefathers of top fuel, I think it will work fine.:D

6. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Dwight and Tim (partners) painted most of our car with Rustoleum rattle cans. I swear you can't tell it from a pro job. Hell, in the 50's we would have painted it with a brush and screendoor paint and been proud of the results. At least it would have covered up the rust and bad welds.

It'll look good and be 50's for sure.

Ron

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Although those foam brushes might be a bit modern for the spirit.:D

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Question is where'd you get the Acme products with a missing "M"? :D

9. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Old6, I believe you're right, ACE paint is really ACME in disguise. It worked as well for me as it does for the coyote trying to catch the roadrunner. I certainly didn't have "no runs' no drips, no errors. It couldn't have been the painter.
    I feel like I've turned the corner and from now on it is clean, paint & reassemble, with the inevitable minor rework thrown in.
    The best part of the picture is the lawnmower is in the background and the snowblower is in the storage garage out back,

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Your frame came out looking great. :cool:

I've always smiled at the way a bit of plain old paint brings the patient hours of work together.

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

"Plain old paint"!! Can't you read?? That's genuine "Top Fuel paint".:D

Looks great Bob, keep up the good work.

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Obviously I was referring to my own paint. Sheesh ..... :rolleyes:

:D

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Well excuuuuuuuse me.:p

14. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Lots of small parts to clean and paint. Almost done with that task.

15. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The 9" rear end is ready to reassemble as soon as the paint dries. The slant shouldn't twist the 28 spline axles. It has a 3.70 gear with an Auburn posi that was in my Anglia. I picked up a new driveshaft for a Dodge Challenger for $10. The guy had it made too short. It will be a LOT shorter when I get done with it! The engine is painted. Had to remove 2 broken intake/exhaust studs (I didn't break 'em) and put helicoils in the holes.
    You Calif. guys have some good meets coming up. Be sure to post some pics.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Outstanding.......painted parts!!

That means it's getting ready for assembly. Looking good Bob!:cool:

17. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Got my driveshaft shortened today, while I waited. How's that for service. Still painting parts. Now I have everything to assemble the car. Still need front tires and rims and rear rims. After careful scrutiny of the rulebook it appears it is ok to use spun aluminum discs if they are screwed to the rims. That would fit the look I'm trying to achieve.
    If I use 16" by 4" front wheels (I have 5 1/2" bolt pattern), does anyone have a recommendation for tires? Motorcycle for instance?

18. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Bob, I'm using motorcycle tires on mine and have not had a problem.
    If you check around at your local Harley shop, these guys change tires more often than they need to. I have picked up several nice front runners for nothing. In fact the guy said that I saved him $1.00 a piece as that is what the junk man makes him pay for the tires that he picks up
    We also installed a set on 6ckpony's rail (my son David).
    He is running a set on his 30 coupster and has had no problems unless you try and panic stop. Then the fronts lock up and slide.
    This will not be a problem on the rail as there are no front brakes.
    You will have to find someone with an old bubble balancer to balance them as all the tire shops in my area can not balance a tire that is less than 5 1/2" wide.
    Robert

19. Bob, I'm back online so hurry up with the updates :D

Cheers,

Drewfus

20. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Threw some incorrect tires and wheels on it and rolled it outside for the first time. Some of the parts are just hanging there. But not a lot of work remaining. I could fire this thing up in a week or two. The front will be lower and the rear will be higher when I get the right wheels and tires on it.

21. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Rear view. If I can afford it, I'm going to have it lettered by a friend's wife. She is a professional sign painter. I have a couple ideas for a name but I'll wait til I see what artwork she comes up with for them before picking one. I have to rebuild the carbs, make or buy air cleaners,recurve the distributer, add fluids, plug the inevitable leaks, get the right tires and wheels, add a puke can, plus some wiring. I'll need a helmet with a full face shield, a fire suit and arm restraints and the harness is outdated. Then it's time to rock! Oh, and I have to lengthen my trailer because this car is way longer than my Crosley.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  22. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Bobw your car looks great. Keep up the good work, you are going to have fun.

23. butch nassau

butch nassau

24. bob hindman

bob hindman

Niccccceeeee....

Hiney...

25. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

The car looks GOOD! More pictures.

Ron

26. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Here's a full frontal view. Going to a swap meet tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find some rear wheels. Already have the tires. They are G78-15's but the tread measures 6" wide. I'm trying to think of sneaky ways to make them sticky. The local motorcycle shop told a friend of mine they have many used tires and I can go take my pick. Hope to fine a pair of 16's for the front.
    Thanks for the nice comments. It really is a helpful motivator.

27. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Bobw,

One of the original front wheels on our car was bent so one of my partners bought a pair of the space-saver wheels at the salvage yard and painted them. They look and work great. Their just a skinny version (4") of a regular wheel. I'd love to have wires but can't afford them.

Poor boys have poor ways.

Ron

28. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Bobw, Cowboy Bob used to run a pair of space savers on the front and they were aluminum. Maybe 86 Lincoln, Bob changed to spokes. You might be able to see them in an early thread. Joe

29. bobw

bobw

Ron, I've got early Ford 5 1/2" bolt circle on the front and I believe there are no space saver wheels with that. Have checked a couple junkyards with no luck. If I like the car, the upgrades will include spokes in front. Have to sell a couple of my hot rods to finance improvements though. My pension and Social Security doesn't cover racing very well. Plus my wife keeps wasting money on food, clothes and stuff like that.

30. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Bob,

Strange how all wife's seem to develop those bad habits, mine does the same thing. She seems to think gas, lights and water are more important than racing fuel. God love em, but they won't change.

Ron