Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Cord. For curiosity's sake.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tagliari, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Weasel

Weasel

I note what we have here is a 'hit and run' post from a FNG from Brazil. Amazing that it generates the amount of response that it has. This is a completely useless and O/T thread IMO. And yes, I read it anyway and posted too - why? Because I hoped it might actually contain something about Cord somewhere. Yawn.....

2. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

I second that.. :eek:

3. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Yes, he told me that I should place the cord of fords that I desire, In certain parts of my mother. And somthing about praying to Obama. I think he has spent to much time with his mule picking coffee.:D

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The original Cord from '36 '37 didn't start out as a Cord design, but as a baby Duesenberg! The original design, as rendered by Gorden Buehrig while still working at General Motors Art & Colour under Harley Earl, was taken by Buehrig when he left GM to go to work for Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg. The design was further refined, first with the idea of a 'baby Duesenberg' then as an Auburn, but as both of these marques were dieing in the market place, the desicsion to build the all new front drive Cord automobile was made, using the refined design.

Thanks for the info on the Glenn Pray/Samco connection, I've wondered for years.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party !"

5. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Sounds like something you buy batteries for,and made from some sort of rubber too, I see.

6. alsancle

alsancle

There is a recent autobiography of Glenn Pray which is a really good book for car nuts. He was a high school shop teacher in the 50s who was a mechanical wiz with cords. He also had huge gonads and basically went up to Auburn Ind with 3 cents and talked the owner of the Auburn Company (the guy that bought it back in the late 30s to do the parts servicing) into selling the company to him. This included all the Auburn and Cord stuff (Duesenberg was sold off to Marshall Merkes I believe). I should note that this really pissed off a lot of the guys in the ACD club and that rift went on for years. It took a bunch of tractor trailers to move everything back to Broken Arrow Ok where he lived. The factory is till there and Glenn is still selling parts.

In the 60's he built the 8/10 cord (called that because it was basically a 3/4 size replica of the original 810 Conv coupe). There were around 100 cars built and many used original cord pieces form Glen's stock. I

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Real 36, 37 Cords used a Lycoming Flat Head V8. Lycoming was an A.C.D. company. Noted for their aircraft engines....

8. redrico1

redrico1

in 1934 ford built 2 boat tails, i seen one on the b&j auction some years ago.

9. OP sent me a PM. Apparently because of the Ford 302 V8 in the Samco version they were known as Ford Cords in Brazil. Or maybe someone else built replicas there. Either way, that's what they call the cars. Can't be any more O/T than a fiberglass T-bucket or '32 Ford is.

10. Well i thought it was interesting reading. Learnt something new.

11. Mopar34

Mopar34

In 1932 and 1935 Ford built a few boattail roadsters similar in design to the Cord boattails, but they were Fords, not Cords and they share no parts to my knowledge.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

didn't Hupmobile or someone build Cord style sedans after Cord was gone?

13. Hupp Skylark and Graham Hollywood shared the Cord bodies, but I am sure they were RWD.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Well, we had a good time passing this ball back and forth. Poor old OP from Brazil didn't realize how much we enjoy a good FNG roast. Nice thing is, we all agree that the SAMCO version was a total waste of money and effort - what a NASTY-looking thing considering how utterly beautiful the originals are. We also learned that the ACD boys are snooty about who has parts for sale, and finally, we learned that these repops were called Ford Cords down in S.A.

dj

15. The green one is a Graham, white one a Hupp

Attached Files:

16. flathead okie

flathead okie

Well guys I really like mine. Bought it a couple of days ago, needs a little work but it sure is fun. It is a real Cord in the aspect that it was built in a factory under the Cord name, unlike the 32 fords that are being repopped ..even Brookville.. Some people don't agree but OH Well.

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Is he talking about that ford with the cord engine that ryan posted a blogt about a while back?

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I would guess that he is talking about the 2nd generation reproduction Cord after the Glenn Pray Reproductions. These were built around 1967 and 1968 before the Cord Royales. Most of the 2nd Generation reproductions had Ford Motors. Would be nice if he posted a picture so we could see exactly waht he has.

And I agree with previous posters here that the Cord Royales are UGLY! I always thought they looked like someone stepped on them. Most of these had Chrysler Motors in them.

Have to find my Glenn Pray Book to refresh my memory.

20. flathead okie

flathead okie

here's mine, chrysler 440 running gear

Attached Files:

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

There was one of those things at Bakersfield NSRA with a lic.# 36 CORD.. I guess thats how he was able to get in. Kind of a slap in the face to the real Cord design.

22. hoof

hoof

"Hey Wilbur, what are you doing with that stool?"
    CHAZ

23. flathead okie

flathead okie

And I guess, those fiberglass 32's and t buckets are crap too and are not considered as hotrods.......................

24. a cord ford, or was it ford cord, or a what? i'm soooooooooo confused!!

25. flathead okie

flathead okie

Actually a 2nd generation Cord, built under the Cord name.

26. alsancle

alsancle

I'm sure I posted this before but the 8/10 (basically a 4/5 sized 810) Cord that Glenn Pray built stands on it's own as a unique car. He only built 100 or so using many original Cord parts from his factory inventory. The bodies were composite constructed of Royalite which is very popular now for making canoes.