Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Direction Should I go??? help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Apr 30, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I know ultimately it will be my decision on which direction I go with my 65 Ford Falcon...however, I am stuck at this point and time.

Do I go Gasser/Altered style or go Rally/Road Racer style...Both of these styles of cars have been what I have been in love with since my childhood. I have wanted both since before I could drive. I have the option of building one now and I can not make up my mind.

Pro's for Gasser style...I like the up in your face front end, I like that they are NOT low riders and can handle rough roads. can cut out the shock tower which gets in the way.

Con's even though the straight axle is a fine suspension I do not know how it will do on trips to the coast, vegas, or other long trips.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rally style Pro's...would be a blast to take to the coast in the curvy areas, can go fast straight or on curves.

Cons - some look like they are lowered and I do NOT want a lowered car for me. uses the shock tower which to me really gets in the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both styles rock...toss out some more pros/cons if you can think of any.
    The good thing is right now I am working on my wifes falcon upgrading to a 302 that was in my falcon. I will probably be running a 351w with a T-10 in my falcon and my wife will be running a 302 with C4 in hers. So, I have time to think it over.

2. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

And, here is a pic of my wifes Falcon that I mentioned...
    [​IMG]

and a picture of mine
    [​IMG]
    (mine is actually pretty rough. I also have black steel wheels I am going to put on. I have 4 wide ones incase I go rally and a pair of skinny ones incase I go Gasser).

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

this is a no brainer...

go for the nosebleed front end... whats the concern about the front suspension?

4. red3

red3

5. 69fury

69fury

mine's a gasser, but i wouldn't mind the road racer either- if it's just the shock towers that are putting you off, check out RRS and their awesome strut package that lets you whack out the towers BIG time -- eleven inches more room in that tiny bay is HUGE

http://www.rrs-online.com/

this is the tower kit that you can use once you've purchased their strut package http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDFke4twWI4

6. my 55 is 'gassed' and it rides great. Im very suprised and would do it again. Straight axle your car and be different!!

Attached Files:

7. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I have been leaning towards the gasser style...there is only one in town and it sits in a garage 99.9% of the time.

8. MotoVintage

MotoVintage

do gassers make good drivers? I know road racers make good drivers with the exception of rough roads, what will be your primary use for the car?

9. shainerman

shainerman

all I know is the racer picture of the number 5 car gets me all hot and bothered. Thats a damn good lookin car!

10. dannyego

dannyego

road racer....gassers are the new flat black and red wheels:D

11. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

I agree with shainerman, that black road racer is one of my favorite falcons ever. I vote for the road race style since you don't see very many in this fashion. The Gassers are awesome too but I don't think it'd be that great for cruising. If you go with the road race direction I'd say it would have to be lowered at least a little just to have the right stance to effectively pull off the look. Just my opinion.

12. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

The black 5 car is bad!!! I have been trying to find some video of it from inside but no luck so far.

Primary use of the car will be getting me to work and back a few days a week. It is a ten minute drive on a straight highway.

Other uses will be driving around town goofing off and driving to car shows. I would like to run it down the track a couple times just to see what it would do to.

Another reason I am leaning gasser is I already have a lowered Falcon in my wifes car. It will have the shelby drop on it, and we are getting wheels/tires that will be better suited to the 302/c4 that is going in hers. Hers will pretty much be like a road racer minus being painted up.

13. Muttley

Muttley

14. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

As much as I like falcon gassers...number 5 car, does it for me. Im on the hunt for a 63 1/2 hardtop locally, no luck yet. Il add ranchero front wheel arches to the rear too :) Always wanted a little road racer.

15. Muttley

Muttley

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that black #5 sucks mightily. Painted Cragars should be punishable by flogging and searchlight sized driving lights belong on rally racing Subarus, please keep them there so I never have to see them again.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

16. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

17. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Rallye car look.

You should do this as a "poll".

18. H3O

H3O

you should build it like it was the competitor to the yenko nova. have a big FE motor in it, steel wheels with dog dishes, the works. that's my $0.02.

or do a gasser with a big FE still.

19. Muttley

Muttley

Whatever, they still suck. :p ;) :D

20. BETHELBOB

BETHELBOB

Go with the gasser!

21. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

Seems like everyone's doing a gasser ,that's OK they're cool,but I think rally is the way to go..

22. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I agree.
    I was totally for the gasser look, until I saw #5.
    That's my vote.
    Does anyone remember the sectioned Holman-Moody Falcon road racer?
    That was awesome too.

23. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

One of the race games I have been eyeballing has the number 5 car available to download.
    [​IMG]

24. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

One of the other cars I really like is this one. This look could be done with keeping the stock front suspension and putting in some lift cup things on the springs (saw them for sale somewhere).
    [​IMG]

25. ian

ian

gasser inspired while maintaing the functionality you need to maintain tolerable street driving manners. so basically just keep it pump gas friendly.

26. Depends on what you want to do with the car when it's done. If you want to go play with the SCCA guys, go road race. If you want a car to go cruising in, gasser!
    There is just something wrong with cruising in a rally car.

27. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Man, I sure hope you go Gasser style, few things cooler than a door slammer. Get a MOON tank and a straight axle, some of those cooky velocity stacks sticking straight out the hood (fuel injected of course), spindle mount spokes up front (who cares about stopping right), cheaters and Halibrands out back, and the cars name in hand turned gold leaf on the side! Holy Shit, thats badass bro.

28. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

pretty much decided on going the Gasser "style" route...I will be using my 4 speed T-10 in it. Need to track down a 351W for it and still work out the details of the straight axle.

I just picked up the new Garage Mag and it looks like there is a story about taking a 50's chevy gasser around SF for a reliability run or something like that...just got home and have not read it.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I would build it as a road racer. It'd be LOW, though.

30. onedge

onedge

gasser no rally racer crap. falcons arent "sleek enough" for the road racer to me.