Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Ford F1 Build up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autorace, Apr 30, 2009.

1. autorace

autorace

Hello all,

New to the forum and would like to get oppinions on my latest project. I am currently working on a 1952 Ford F1. My wife is pregnant and I needed to raise some money for the baby. I decided to purchase this truck, modify it and then try to sell it. My goal is to have it done by the end of June. Let me know what you think.:)

The list of things I am doing is:

1) Pull the body off
    2) Install S10 front clip with air bags
    3) Install 10 bolt GM rear with triangulated 4-link and air bags
    4) Install Chevy 350 engine and 350 transmission
    5) Paint body and reinstall
    6) Wire and plumb complete
    7) Finish odds and ends
    8) Try to sell on Ebay

Attached Files:

2. autorace

autorace

Here is the C notch I am working on.

Attached Files:

3. Nice and traditional. Very good. Should sell very well.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Not to short circuit your plans but with the ecomomy the way it is these days are you confident you'll be able to show enough profit from this project to make it worth while? Just check the classifieds. There are a flood of cars/trucks/projects for sale that don't seem to be moving and the outlook isn't real rosey for anything to change in the short term. Just an observation form an old timer that's been faced with similar circumstances. It's easy to get upside down in a project like this.

Frank

5. autorace

autorace

Yes Fab32, that is a major concern. The economy is really starting to worry me. I have been working hard to sell items I have had laying around for years to fund this project. I figure if I was not doing this project those things would continue to sit around. This project put a fire under me to get more efficient. Even if I sell the truck at what I have invested, it still would be nice just to have one lump of cash at one moment in time.

Thanks for the input.

6. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Times 2 ^:(

7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

"Investing" money and labor into any car project with the hopes of even breaking even is risky. The least risk is selling parts but hey if you like working on cars go for it.

8. autorace

autorace

In too deep, can't stop now. Pretty much have everything to finish it. From this point on cash outlay is minimal. I have to purchase paint and rim/tires. Rims and tires will be a steel wheel with a wide white wall tire. Having trouble deciding on a color. I am thinking a yellow with black grill and running boards.

I have a mustang street car with a chevy 350/350trans that I am selling also. If this truck does not sell it won't be the end of the world. It will just keep me from starting my next project.

9. How about minimizing your cost by *not* installing the front clip and bags? Sell those parts seperately. I don't know about everyone else but it seriously pisses me off when people just rip the front end out of old cars to install a clip just for the sake of installing a clip and not seeing if they like the car the way it is first. It's hack, and I'm not about hacking these trucks up. Sorry to steal your thread man, but I'm obviously passionate about these trucks.

Your wheel and tire package is going to set you back too. Wide whites aren't cheap. I'd go to a junkyard, get some 15" steelies off a ford truck (same lug pattern until the 90's) blast them, paint them, and get some middle of the road rubber for it.

**edit, i see you're most of the way through with the front end and notching, so I'm just going to say what Fab32 said. It's a buyer's market.

10. hoof

hoof

I am trying to build one of these trucks, and I am doing it as inexpensively as I can. I have over 5k in it now, and probably 3k more to go until it sees pavement. I got the chassis and bodies for next to nothing, and the drivetrain for squat also. It is the little stuff that kills you.
    CHAZ

11. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

12. autorace

autorace

I like red but I don't think this truck will be red. I think this truck should be yellow or a bronze type color.

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

How about black?

Attached Files:

14. 8flat

8flat

Dude....I've been following F1s since I first got mine 15years ago. They aren't worth much, unless they are super nice (ie: expensive to build).

Also, the little things will nickle and dime you to death. If it were me, I would seriously consider selling it as a partially finished project, in bare shiny steel with all the body work taken care of. You'd be time and money ahead.

15. autorace

autorace

I know the little stuff adds up, it has me concerned also. I have to figure out a fuel tank. I was planning a fuel tank in the very back under the bed. The seat cover I have to do something with. I also have to figure out the best way to do the wiring (purchase a kit). Oh, and also a radiator. Thanks for the input.

16. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Sorry, but I don't see anything traditional about this:

2) Install S10 front clip with air bags
    3) Install 10 bolt GM rear with triangulated 4-link and air bags
    4) Install Chevy 350 engine and 350 transmission

On the other hand, it should sell well to the modified Fifties pickup truck crowd, and that's a big crowd.

17. Good luck! Personally I think it will be hard to sell for profit. I can't even get a decent bite on mine, mostly I get "would you take $3500?" and mines chopped channeled and a proven driver. All I can say is goodluck!

18. Good Luck!,...you'll need it.

19. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

nuff said......

20. I was being facetious, the S-10 thing makes me want to barf. It's kinda of like the pro-street movement, when the fad goes away, all that will be left is a bunch of potentially great cars that are all hacked up with a bunch of garbage welded to them. Sad.