Register now to get rid of these ads!

April banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Apr 1, 2009.

1. scarr345

scarr345
    from michigan

hey banger guys out there i have a1931 sedan with its origional 4 banger in it.i want to replace it with a 32 4 banger that i have. will it all bolt up or what kind of modifications to the trans, motor mounts,or waterpump will be nessesary? any advice would help thanx

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Welcom to the world of Bangers. Just about every topic you can think of has been discussed here. If you search the different Banger threads, you will discover a wealth of information. This topic was discussed back in Dec or January.

Here are a couple of links that will lead you on the way:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161498

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251717

3. noboD

noboD

Mr. Bisquit I like the second configuration of your Stutz, the low door job. And I REALLY like the stop/directional license plate holder. It would look good on my DB!

4. A-Wall

A-Wall

excellent info, thanks guys! i think i may give them a shot.

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nice work :D
    Bill

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

hey guy can anyone tell me if a model B distributer has a bigger body OD. then a model A. I put a new (OLD) head on my car fri. night and the stock distributer is very sloppy it needs a 1/16th shim toline up with the side bolt. Or is my head just Junk
    thanks for any help
    Bill

7. RussTee

RussTee

thanks bob was working on the old girl this weekend checking clearances there aint much room in a27tee roadster pickup engine bay heaven knows where the exhaust will go have just about got the quickchange and overdrive setup all bolted together on the chrome diff i will put that in and try it first oh the way you can spend money on these things

8. poweredbylincoln

poweredbylincoln
    BANNED

anyone know about putting an oldsmobile or such head on a model a 4 banger, to convert it to overhead?

My dad was talking about it,but do not know what year olds and what engine they heads came off of..

There is a black a roadster that goes to the hill climbs in california witha subaru head,i believe they spliced 4 heads to make one head...He always runs a full hood wont let u see under it....

Also anyone hook a 39/40 ford box to a 4 banger,did u use an adapter plate?

Thanks for your time and input:D

9. poweredbylincoln

poweredbylincoln
    BANNED

Believe the b banger will bolt up to your a trans and frame, unless im mistaken.....

pM Me I will ask my dad,he will know

10. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I think Pete Ardema here in so cal made the first subaru head setup for a bonneville car he used 2 heads end to end to do it. I think most of his stuff went up with the last fires we had here.

as for 39 trans they make an adapter to bolt a 39 trans to a banger, I use a 32 bell housing and a B box with 48 gears out of side shift trans.

the olds head is a 3 port and adapts to a banger as well as the thunderbolt 28 chev head there is quite a bit about them in back banger meets.
    hope this helps ya I have pics if neeeded
    Ken

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Neal Jern makes a nice looking kit to put a Chevy or Olds 4 cylinder head on an A/T block. [email protected]. I think they are 1928 or so heads

12. The Chev two port head is the easiest to find. They are also the most suited to adapting to Ford blocks especially if you want to retain the standard distributor location, they came out in '28 only but are really common in earlier Chevs as they were a popular replacement for the one port heads which were prone to cracking.

Three ports were available on 43A Oldsmobile from 1919 to 1923. My three port came off a Chev FB which were available roughly the same time as the Olds. My three port was cast in 1921.

13. Anyone have any more info/pics of the Subaru head conversion?

14. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. SU cfm's for ya. Taken from a Dave Vizard book.

1-1/4" H2 S.U. 110
    1-1/2" H4 S.U. 133
    1-1/2" HS4 S.U. 142
    1-3/4" HS6 S.U. 210
    1 3/4" HIF6 S.U. 240

17. There was 1 or 2 articles about Floyd Hughes Misubitchi (not sure of spelling but this is close enough) conversion in the FAST magazine. He had a heart attack and passed away on his last pass at the 66 hillclimb a couple of years ago. Just pulled over at the top of the hill and that was it. He had done some work with an Izuzu head before the "M".

18. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Fur biscuit, hows this?

I do like the looks of the second car a lot better.

[​IMG]

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I horrible at paint, but here is what I am thinking, were I to use the original cowl:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  20. poweredbylincoln

poweredbylincoln
    BANNED

thank u for the information on the head conversion,
    I will try and do more research

thanks again

Btw what is your 4 banger set ups and what mileage do u get?

ohv,flathead,carb setup,trans,rear end gears,overdrive ect...

I know of a 28 coupe in shade tree a's in think in georgia got 22-24 mpg
    thank u for your time

21. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

It is a 1934 to 35 B mount.

22. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

23. Thats a pretty big arm ya got there, Simon. It's not one of those Chinese cranks, is it? That celophane front seal wont be worth a damn, though.

24. loogy

loogy

I wish I could afford to hire tiny people to fix my motor!

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, 4 days of 85-90 deg. weather was well worth it. Put up a makeshift canopy and away we went each day! Almost there!... Almost done!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. If anyone is looking for a 28 chevy head, I have (1) one left that Im selling and I have a single port 25 Chevy head which has the rocker assemblies and other parts that fit to Olds 3-port head. It has 1.5 ratio rockers stock. :eek:

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

coaltown , your doing great ! be drivin soon ! ................ steve

28. A-Wall

A-Wall

perfect! thanks for the info!

im going to be giving my banger head a hair cut to clean it up and i figure id better make it worth my while, how much can i safely take off? chris was saying around .010, is that all?

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my banger support concept...couresty of the great ~E~

[​IMG]

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

anyone have a link to a good thread on model T engines with th400 clutch? My friend has a cool speedster with model T running a A crank a th400 clutch and a 37 chevy trany
    thanks Bill