Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help-'39 ford deluxe grille/hood on a '40 pass car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vapor2million, Apr 30, 2009.

1. vapor2million

vapor2million

Do you guys know if a '39 ford passenger car deluxe hood and grille will fit a '40 ford passenger car (cowl/fenders) without modification? I know there are certain trim differences in the two cars, but how about the hood latch, grille structure, hood hinges, etc?

I appeciate your help.:)

p.s.- if it will fit, i'm looking for a nice '39 ford deluxe hood and grille. I have a '40 deluxe hood/grille for trade.

2. '39 Deluxe will fit '40 Standard or Deluxe.

3. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

Yes it will .

4. They will bolt up, but the length front to rear of the hoods is about 1/2" to 1" different. I dont remember which of the 2 ( 39 or 40 ) is longer. I have a '39 DeLuxe and ran into this problem several years ago when building the car. I'm sure someone here knows the details better than I can remember. It may possibly be just that the grilles are a bit different on the top where the hood latches down, and you cant mix & match 39 hoods with 40 grilles, and vice versa.

5. Old School 40

Old School 40

just buy a 39 hood and grille you might change your mind! Keep the deluxe!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  6. vapor2million

vapor2million

I've heard some horror stories when you mix and match these '39/'40 ford hood and grille parts. I'm not going to do that.

I guess it stands to reason that if the hood/grilles are interchangeable the fenders must be. Has anyone installed '39 ford fenders on a '40 pass car body?

Thanks for all the help.

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The 40 std. hood is about 1/2" longer than the 39. If you use both a 39 del hood and grill it will work and look correct. You can use a 40 hood with a 39 grill and it will just hang over slightly. 39 and 40 fenders are the same except for small details where the grill mounts which only means something in a 100 point resto.