Register now to get rid of these ads!

30 Roadster on Duece Rails Project-It begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Nov 22, 2008.

1. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Jerry,looks like the top fits preety well.does the header fit? If anybody on this thread is intrested i also have a pretty nice carson style top(fits 33/34 or?) that Ill sell cheap.Ive got to grt peter to bring me up to see this project.think we'll wait for the heater. John

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Hi John,

The proportions are nice but the header is going to be a little bit of a problem. It's a little narrow for the Model A windshield side to side. I have another top from a model a that I had started to chop. I might just use the irons from yours and the header from mine and see what happens. Thanks again

Jerry

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

A Roadster?
    32 Frame?
    PERFECT!!

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

There is an upolstery guy around the corner from me. I gave him the bench seat to recover a little while back. After fixing the springs, cleaning out the rats nests, and making covers from scratch this is what he came up with. Got the seat back tonight and couldn't be happier.

I have a metal filler piece that goes around the bottom edge of the seat covering the wood which I will install when it comes time to put the seat in for good. The roadster top and inner door and kick panels will match the seat color down the road when he makes it. Upholstery is something that I wish I could do..but I think it's best left to guys who know what they are doing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The seat looks great - Chris did a good job !

6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

pulled the seat back out to do some reinforcement of the quarter panels and the door jamb area. Roadsters are sometimes a little flimsy in this area. Used some 1 inch square tubing, pie cut it all over and bent it to fit and tucked it under the top edge of the quarter. Have to hammer the edge back down a little nicer over the steel tubing and weld it all up next.

Attached Files:

7. ls7gto

ls7gto

Jerry, looks great. it amazes me the amount of progress you have made since Ive been down to your shop. Hope to see you cruising by soon. Doug

8. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

just read this entire thread for the first time,,,,i am more of a kustom guy,,but i must say i thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the thought and work that has gone into this cool little roadster,,,,,,kinda makes me want something like this myself one day,,,but im afraid id never fit in one,,,,,,,,i admire the way you did each phase in order, rather than jumping around,,,,,i need a little help in that department,,,wish i was as methodical as you are.

btw,,,im definitely gonna start reading more than just kustom threads :D

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Thanks for the kind words....progress has slowed down a little the past month as I've had some health problems which have kept me out of the shop. I'm on the mend though and will be back at it this coming week. I'm trying to get this done for the jalopy showdown.

-Jerry

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Welder took a shit!!!!!!!!!!

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

March, april, 1/2 of may, plenty of time. I'll save you a spot on the track time line.:)

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Excellent thread. An A roadster on a deuce frame is one of the more classic hot rods. Your project look great!! Keep the posts coming.

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

So I haven't done any updates in a long, long time. I was having some health issues, my welder took a crap, and then my pop got sick..what an exciting spring so far

Anyhow, I'm back on the roadster and made some progress. I buttoned up the engine and took off the 6-2 intake for now. I put the single four barrel intake back on just to fire the motor and check the timing, etc. Afterwards when things are right, I'll switch intakes and put the 6-2's back on. I was all ready to start the engine when I realized that there is a bracket that bolts to the passenger side of the block which holds the oil filter and also prevents oil from pissing out the side of the engine. Long story short...didn't have it..but found one here on the HAMB and it's on it's way.

Got the brakes done as well..with new lines ran and new shoes and hardware in all four corners.

Also punched a deck lid skin with a bunch of louvers and tacked it on. Been doing alot of louvers for others lately..so it was nice to do something for me since I had some time today.

More progress to come ....summer is almost here

Attached Files:

14. JAWS

JAWS

Jerry,

Sorry to hear you have been having a rough go of it.

The one positive thing to say is that you must have gotten some sleep whilst the welder has been down....:D

Looks great, but you know that! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Brant

15. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

The build looks great. I'm still amazed at how much work you've gotten done over the winter. Last time I saw the car in person you barely had the body back together and now it looks like you're almost ready to drive it.

You going to try and have it running for the Violator's show in May?

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

glad you're back at it-keep us posted.

17. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

hey jerry i hope everything is better now . those louvers look great !

18. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Hard to beat a Model A on deuce rails! I like it!

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

You're well on your way! Great to see your updates, looks great!!
    All our best to you and yours!

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Some major progress this past week. Lot's of info and pics coming..

Finally, fitted my tail lights. This was alot more work than I expected do to the inner panel. Had to section the inner panel (the one in bare metal) since I sectioned the outer one. I'll probably have to move the latch lower for my decklid handle to catch. Everything is fitting nicely. Scored a nice set of ribbed trim rings from 1old rat and polished them up.

Braced the inner jambs, and around the tops of the quarters. Remounted and brake pedal adding a rod and clevis for the master cylinder. Also ground the inner portion of the framerails in the back to make the gas tank fit nicer. More pics coming soon, trying to have this ready for the York, Pa hot rod show in June. Got a fire under my ass again!!

Attached Files:

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's some pics of the bracing that I welded in. I originally started to make it using 1 inch square tubing that i pie cut on a chop saw but decided that 3/4 inch would be a better fit after some advice from by buddy Eli. I was able to bend this with a tubing bender and got the shape pretty close to what I needed. I connected the top bracing with a piece of square tubing that I welded onto the jamb area. Also put in an X behind the seat for more stability.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  22. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

My 32 rails were made by American Stamping and the gas tank didn't fit for shit between them in the back, I don't know why they haven't corrected this ..but oh well..everything else about them is nice. A friend of mind also ran into this problem. I had to grind the inside top of the framerail on both sides in the back near the spreader bar a little as well as the very edge of the tank just slightly. It now fits lit it should and once the frame is touched up and the tank is painted green to match you'll never know.

Attached Files:

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's a shot of the oil filter hanger that took me about a month to find, can't fire the engine without it or you'll have oil all over the place. Told the seller Jobe, that I'd post a pic of it.

Took the car back over to my buddy Eli's shop. The pic below is right after I dropped it off. He's a multi carb set up guru and will be switching the intake for me and setting up the 6 dueces. I'll post a pic of the engine firing up after the intake swap.:)

After the intake is swapped it will be time for a little body work and some paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  24. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Right on, glad I could help.

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks like Eli's expertise paid off with the bracing . Can't wait till he lays his hands on those carbs ! It's gonna be a kick-ass roadster ...

26. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Decided it would be a good idea to put a hand brake in. Fab'd a mount off of one of the tranny support crossmembers. Also started putting in a front floor/tranny hump.

Brakes are bled and adjusted.

Attached Files:

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Finished the front floor and tranny hump and mounted my spoon pedal. Need to weld in two small triangle pieces above the upper part of the hump..but it's basically done.

Also, took the dash back out so I cold reinforce the column drop a little more. Everything fits nice and looks clean. Need to put a finish weld on the front floor pieces and shoot some paint on the backside of the firewall and front floor to clean things up a bit...

In the mean time..... by buddy Eli fired the motor up with the four barrell intake that is on it at the moment and is working on my 6x2 set up....

also..now that the body is braced good and not moving, I took the doors and deck lid off and started some final body work on them...lots yet to do but getting closer

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  28. sledfast

sledfast

Not bad at all Jerry, lookin real good! Keep it up....York will be here before you know it....

29. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Been busy! I can't wait to see this thing on the road.