Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I drain a torque converter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I have a torque converter that went through a rainstorm w/the hole facing up.
    Since there is no drain plug,how do I empty it completely to remove the water?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

how long has it had the water in it?

the only way i can think of at this point is to get as much of the oil out of it as you can (turkey baster)
    than cook it on a low flame until it all boils out..with the turkey baster method , you might get most of the water out too..and not have to slow roast it.

but if it sat in the converter for a while and had a chance to start rusting internally..its done..you dont want rusty shit coming out of your converter and being pushed thru your trans and pump

3. squirrel

squirrel

Buy a rebuilt converter.

Seriously.

4. RAY With

RAY With

We did over 400 flood cars a few years ago and the best method is drill a hole and tap it to 1/4X20 drain it and install an allen plug with teflon tape or your favorite sealer. I still do it today when there isnt any drain plug. This is fast and easy to do.

5. Is there a risk of having the drill or tap go through too far and destroying the blades inside of it?

6. shifts

shifts

Most reputable trans shops have a converter flusher. I'd take it to them or do as RAY With said. DAVE

7. RAY With

RAY With

Not if you pay attention The blades are mid way so not a problem--First get the proper drill bit and fill the flutes with wheel bearing grease and then drill the hole slowly and the grease will collect the shavings-Do the same grease treatment with the tap. There is not any thing you can hurt but just take caution not to shove the drill in to far(a couple of inches so to speak) There is nothing to damage if your careful. On the tap part go in only deep enough to put threads in the hole-Do not run the tap all the way in since its tapered because you want the allen plug tight.

8. I wouldn't even risk it with it being outside. Find another one for sure.

9. It used to cost 25 bucks to have one drilled, checked and flushed.