Register now to get rid of these ads!

What got you into old cars ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Hyena, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Traditional36

Traditional36

When I was ten years old, I took a ride in a 32 ford roadster. that was it

2. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

My old man drove dirt track sprints, late models, hobby stock, demo derby, figure 8s, you name it. We were all over the Mid West in the '70s, 80's and 90's. "Turn to the right, stand on it... goes left fast!!!!"

3. teddyp

teddyp

when i was 15 my cuz grave me a 50 merc 4 door i fix up sold and got a 57 chevy conv. i didn,t get a driver lic. till i was 17 but thats what got me hook

4. 49coupe

49coupe

A friend at work got me hooked on traditional kustoms about 10 years ago. I grew up as a kid in the '70s and 80s when N. American cars were hopeless, so I was mainly into European cars. My '82 Rabbit was an engineering marvel compared to my dad's '86 Buick regal.

My buddy at work knew I was a car guy, so we'd talk for hours about cars. The he showed me pictures of his chopped '48 Ford bus coupe project and took me for a ride in his '51 Merc. He have me a stack of '50s-60s little books and the rest is history. I've been soaking it up ever since.

5. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

I can still remember it like it was yesterday. My dad turned around and told me and my brother to hold on!!! Then I remember being pegged to the seat as my dad popped the clutch of his 428 Cobra-Jet. I remember tire smoke filling the interior from every nook and cranny in the car. I was 4 years old. I still love that bias ply rubber smell! There is nothing in the world quite like it.:D

6. Dad and the red 69 Roadrunner circa 78/79 he had, mean damn car...

7. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

The local dragstrip and the "little books"! :D

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This did it for me along with Revell model car kits. Still have the car.

Attached Files:

9. I grew up in a 58 Biscayne; muscle cars and the drags followedthe rest is history.

Rat

10. buickbelle

buickbelle

Shoot, I have been into cars for as long as I can remember. I was raised on a dairy farm, out in the middle of no where, with four brothers, it was either get involved in cars or be bored out of my mind, being the only girl in the family till the age of ten when my baby sister finally arrived! I can tell you this, I was never bored. Between my father and my two older brothers, they taught me how to diagnose problems, which came in real handy in my early twenties when I became one of Wichita's first lady service writers, that's been a long time ago, seeing as how I am in my 60s these days.

Carrie

11. jchav62

jchav62

My Pops...... He raised my in the backyard working on old cars...

12. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Money!!!!! $250.00 for a 1948 Chevy business coupe in 1954. 12,000 miles, Army brown was a Dayton Power & Light car. Within a year I moved the gas tank to the trunk and installed the rear seat out of a 5-pass. coupe and it looked like this:

[​IMG]

Never looked back.