Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wed Hot Rod nite is back at Bubbas!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GMC BUBBA, Mar 21, 2009.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Great !!!
    Good to see someone just "get er done". Cant wait to see it running down the road to "beatersville"....
    Wally and i have decided to drive the bonneville truck to beatersville this year. May need a extra fuel stop but thats ok.

2. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Here are some pics of fabricating at Rooman' shop building headers and a new trunk lid. I was taking header building 101 with Perfessor Rooman showing me the ropes.
    Note, don't try this at home kids, it' not as easy as it looks, but I'm gettin' there. The trunk lid is lookin' great too. Back at it again Sunday.

Attached Files:

3. Looking great! :)

4. dodgeman33

dodgeman33
    from Indiana

Man thats lookin good I cant believe you got a header on over the stearing good work!!!!!

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Love that rag hiding the ' ccccchrrommmeeee" , damn i cant even say that word....:eek:

6. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Sunday finishing up the headers, Rooman welded up the rest of the pipes today while I was cutting and fitting them into place. It's a lot of work, but as you can see in the pics, it was worth it. The pipes all flow together, and looks great. Now I just need to finish them with the flanges and the turnouts, and make some baffles. Also started to work on the steering drop and getting some thoughts about the gas pedal setup. Thats it for now, A big thanks to Rooman again for his help.

Buuba. I think I need to get you some nice CHROME pully's for your car
    (a little bling for ya)

Attached Files:

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Very cool! Hope to see at Beatersville.

8. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

I'm working at it, I have a lot of good help at Bubba's.

9. lookin' real good

10. Meyer

Meyer

Looks good.

So it will be back at Bubba's Wednesday?

11. :D HOLY COW,,, RooMan you are the best....:D
    DANG.....that is just bitchin' work...

Carbon Guy...your on your way....:p

12. Yeah, I seen the car Friday and it's looking GOOOOOOOD. :)

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

New project at Bubbas this week.
    For all you guys that always wanted to !!!
    Its a 1958 Chevrolet 283 engine and transmission, donated to the cause by the "dyno" dude himself....richey-o.
    Should make a interesting build and will be ran on the engine stand when done as a slave to test carbs etc.
    Plan is to tear down, degrease, inspect and overhaul with as little $$ as possible. All brackets, parts etc will be reconditioned etc. Orginal paint scheme etc .
    Bring your gloves and lets get er going...........:eek::eek::cool::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey Bubba, any updates on the paint job on the Valiant?

15. Chris C.

Chris C.
    from Indy

Is that a transmission connected to that engine or is that wasp mud pile built since the 50's?

16. Last updates here. It's probably another week or two out. All the jams are done and they are blocking the car down now and attending to little rust spots here and there. :cool:

I was also able to find me a passenger side inner fender shield. :)

17. rooman

rooman

Craig forgot to bring his camera last night so here are some of my pix of progress on his T coupe.

Roo

Craig was not around when I sectioned the grille shell so here are a couple of pix of that operation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trunk lid tacked up and ready to weld.

[​IMG]

Just to prove that Craig is actually doing some work while the car is here in Brownsburg here are some shots of him working on the headers and the finished results once he got the collector flanges attached last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finally got the steering column hung last night after making up this column drop out of some left over aluminum so Craig got to play driver just before we quit for the evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few quick things to do tonight (that's what we said last week too) and the car will be headed back to Bubba's

18. Chris C.

Chris C.
    from Indy

Wow you guys hard charging it.

19. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

A lot of progress yesterday, I went to pick up the car at Roomans and brought it back to Bubba's. As you can see the header now have paint on them. Scott cleaned up the guage panel, which looks great now. We started to mess around with the seat to see if we can use it without all the bottom foam on it, may just put some thin foam and then cover it with blanket for now. At Roomans, we made a new trans tunnel and a panel to fill the hole around the pedals they just need to be installed now, it looks real tidy now. I think Saturday we may be able to start the motor and do a test run up and down the street. We're gettin' close. Thanks to all last night for the help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  20. Great work guys..
    Sorry I miised it...
    Had to rush my wife to ER yesterday, breathing problems...still in Community North..
    here we are waiting for the Dr's...but she is a little better..

21. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Sorry to hear that, and hope all is well

23. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Got the little chevrolet apart, and the boys had some fun taking her apart.
    Seems as if its a 1960 Chevrolet Truck motor and after tear down it would have started up and ran just fine. Engine pistons show no wear and all valves seems to seat etc. Cam actually had all the lobes and we will check but also shows little wear.
    Curt and Scott got on the engine and made one hell of a mess ( thats what they make simple green for :eek:)
    Parts are in the Hot Cuda wash and look great !!!
    Will take to machine shop and have dipped , crank polished , new rings and valves ground etc. Should make a great little test stand engine for testing carb rebuilds or maybe even a cool little vintage looking hot rod engine............
    Stay tuned as we clean er up.........:eek::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oops was there oil in that pan, damn it i hate it when that happens !!!!!:eek::eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Short report on sat.
    Got in a good day, the brakes are basically done, radiator is mounted ( only needs support rods. Lindross has the dash in and wired , turn the key , push the button and the engine turns over.
    I got the red plug wires installed with the help of slick steve. Wally (grumpy) got the fuel line almost done with regulator, filter etc. Tank is installed as well as battery box. Shifter is adjusted and clutch works.
    We got Timmys 61 chevrolet/gmc running and the engine sounds pretty good.
    The boys went to suaves and picked up the green roadster so i can reinstall the Grant flamethrower ( a screw had stripped /slipped? and one set of contacts closed up).
    I will do that early in the week.
    Looks like the "Red Robin T" and the "Timsters Garage" truck will be with us for Beatersville.........

25. WoW,,seems like I'm missing the action..:eek:
    Sorry...still in the Hosp with wife,,,hope to get her well enough to join the action again....:)

26. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Another fun night at Bubbas.
    Food was great once again Meryl brought some more of his "world famous" barBque chicken legs and beans. Thank John and Meryl ! Raising the bar for food , cant ever go back to white castle again !!!
    Our little 283 chevrolet engine project turned out really well. I took the parts to the machine shop and after inspection it needed bored, and the thrust area of the crank welded up etc. They told me they had a complete 283 early engine built in a bag with powerpack hump heads ready to run , new pistons punched .030 for less than my parts and repair bill would have been , SO i brought er home. Quickest engine build i ever done. More as we get it on the engine stand and light er up.

[​IMG]

Couldnt resist sitting the dual quad set up on the engine. Just got the carbs today ( pair of matched 500s off a caddy ) Guess these are heading to the "Suave Roadster" some time this summer. (he keeps sobing over them ever time hes here so i guess i will sell em to him :eek::D)
    Thge Carbon T ( now called the red rocket) got a lot of attention last night with the list getting shorter each week. We fired up the engine and ran it thru the gears etc and found a water leak or two.
    Also found some new style of VHT Paint its called RCP ( really cheap paint) from the store down the street . It burned off so cool we may actually buy some more just for the experience of watching it smoke and burn up , also the color left behind is kinda neat !!:eek::eek:

[​IMG]

Timmy do wah got his 61 Beatersville ride closer to being done with a somgle wire conversion from the "noodle" and Wally got a bracket made up. Looks like its a go for the Beatersville weekend as well.

[​IMG]

The suave roadster got some repairs done and seems to be finished...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lights are up and running.........

[​IMG]

Miles is standing in the corner and i call this "pervert corner" beats me why ????????//

27. Some more pics from the evening. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Man you guys dont mess around. I enjoy seeing the bubbas garage updates every week.

29. Making its grand return back into the shop for this Wednesday will be the newly painted Valiant... only to go off to get a new headliner Thursday AM. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Just when you think we can't get enough at Bubba's. We got another to complete for the Rust Revival. :)

[​IMG]