Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who smells like crap after driving there hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nobodys Hero, Apr 19, 2009.

1. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

clean out the oil breathers and pcv valve if it is exhaust fumesyou smell

2. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Fuckin A man ! ! doin under car exhaust out ze back next

Attached Files:

3. ChucoTownHotRods

ChucoTownHotRods
    BANNED

yup i always smell its a natural thing for me now before i would hate smelling like it but now other people bitch instead of me but thats the cost of running open exhaust live with it and die it:D

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

You only smell like gas? You're lucky. I smell like gas, oil, soot, black face, sweaty crack etc etc.

5. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

You can almost smell oil and gas in this clip... Driving down the freeway... Leaking valve cover gaskets, straight and short pipes and no windshield... = FUN! :)

6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

beauishere said " Cars don't stink. Shitty builders do though"

67 posts on this thread, beauishere must be right........we are all shitty builders........or he is totally wrong ?

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ok
    1 question (sorry if its been asked and answered)

is it raw fuel?
    or is it exhaust?

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm constantly suprised by how many high effort hot rods have an exhaust system that looks like a 16 year old designed and financed it. And how few people plan for tailpipes when they're fabbing the frame and floor.

But to some extent it's just part of the game. Kinda like riding a motorcycle. If you're out in the breeze and there's any traffic, you're gonna smell like the traffic's exhaust.

9. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Mike your girl is a lady.. Keep her in the BMW, or build a custom. Hot Rods are for the whors! lol

10. Yes Mike.... all your questions have been answered above. Don't be a faggy metro-sexual and deal with it, hahahaa.

Your problem is your exhaust, and you already knew that as we have discussed it many times. Lack of windows also adds to it. And I know that you and I never really seal our floors. Need to do!

I had the 30 sedan out all weekend.... car flies! This little flatty is worked... When I got out of my car last night I felt like I could ring out my eye balls. Luckily, my old lady loves it.

Like Jeremy said... you got yourself a little lady over there... she don't like to get dirty, that's your second problem. Hahahaa.

My sedans exhaust stops after the rear tires but does not go all the way back, I'm changing that this week before we head to Rhinebeck! My car is also running a little rich too, I'm driving it and dialing it in, getting there. As of last night it was almost perfect.

Can't wait to bomb up to Rhinebeck... this fucker goes!!!

Ya know, full exhaust on your car might not look as cool... Some genius once said: "It's better to look good, then feel good!" Mikey, you look marvelous....

11. roddinron

roddinron

Note to self---install open lakes.

12. AHH, the good ole days. Thats what I remember about hot rods, my wife makes comments sometimes but I guess since I'm in the car I don't smell it, especially when I drive with the windshield open.

13. Yeah man, this guy has got it right.... shake the chicks... lets ride!

Put nice classy exaust on that pretty 27 roadster you got.

14. ME ! Smell Bad !

15. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Mel, I know I saw you about to pass outf rom the fumes on the way to CT las year..hahaha..what a trip...more soon..

16. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

17. shainerman

shainerman

I smell, my kid smells, my girl smells, and every car within 100 yards behind me as well. People get headaches and they are always noxious. And to me, thats all part of the experience.

(My motor also burns more oil than a Navy freight liner :)

18. HEBE GB

HEBE GB

Anybody in South Omaha stands a chance of smelling like crap after driving on our streets.:eek::eek::eek:

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the road draft tube in my 235 caused some of it, now i have a v8 and a functional pcv, but the car still has an aroma. fresh paint, insulation and carpet dulled it some.

Cal Cowboy, I love your taste in avatars.

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Only once when the throttle hung wide open on a short street.

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I work in a garage, so I smell like this everyday.
    Which is why my own cars DON"T make me smell bad!

22. Yeah, I can smell like Gas after driving some of my ratty cars, but then again, they don't have floors.... Heres something to ponder.... put a pcv valve system in the car, to eliminate all the fumes that are'nt getting spit out of the tailpipe. A friend of mine made one for his 55 chevy rag and claims it works wonders, kepping an oily film off of the windshield and everything.

23. I came close to smelling like crap once, after my throttle return spring broke on my '63 Chevy Impala way back when!:eek:

24. Tomcat65

Tomcat65
    from Stockholm

Hers is some ideas , that I know work !!

often the smell prob is actually crankcase ventilation fumes rather than pure exhaust , these oil fumes smell badly, does not matter if its a fresh engine or not the case needs to ventilate and its always a little blowby in an engine and this greasy smoke sticks like hell to your clothes interior etc

so if its a old style open system close it properly with pcv valve system etc , makes a huge difference and can be neatly done

sometimes older engines have filters (inside under intake walley) and oil filler caps are part of the ventilation system that are clogged in the "steelwool" that inside the caps , this can produce crankcase vaccum and suck oil into chambers and makes exhaust oily even if so little it does smell ,the filler cap should be cleaned often !!

but a closed system helps a lot for the smell ) that smell i s not good for you at all !! and no a closed system is not giving you less power, thats a myth it can actually be the opposite if the crankcase gets to breath properly some old engines actually draw less oil if done right ;)

also a tip for those who have bad blowby on older engines ,
    worn out engine often smell less draw less oil if you alter the ignition so it ignites later, suposedly it already have low power since its worn so if you alter the ignition it wont matter that much other than it will be less oil consumption , set timing with you ears instead of the old manual settings , the manual is good only if the engine is fresh anyway ,,

good luck

T cat

25. 65fordguy

65fordguy

my 302 has ford racing breather on oneside and a pcv valve on the other... The smell was greatly reduced once I got a real gas tank... still smells a little rich but dont really see how, I m only running a 500 eddie carb. and its very responsive. I was going to try and jet it to 525 or little greater... im told I can do that.. but if its running rich as it is.. ????... guess I need to get an air fuel ratio gauge.

26. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Another question, my '55 with a 350 Chevy didnt kick up "Exhaust" fumes until i put a fan on the motor, previous to that, I was just running an electric fan on the radiator....no overheating problems but I drive it everyday and dont want to run into overheating problems this summer....the water temp runs at about 160degrees....Is this causing the smell?? Should the water temp be higher?? I never ran her with a water temp above 200degrees...the fumes just started to get really bad...my floor and firewall are sealed up and the motor has under 5000 miles on a fresh rebuild. Thanks ~Eric

27. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Sure it ain't New Jersey you're smelling? Sorry, couldn't resist...

28. Ruiner

Ruiner

That is the hottest thing I've heard in a LONG time...I think I love you...hehehe...

As for the "I smell like gas and oil instead of my fruity bodyspray"...well...that's just too bad Nancy, either fix it or sell it or grow a pair of juevos that don't care about the smell...those are your options...

29. Jingles

Jingles

If you have a high performance camshaft in your engine the problem is probably your carb's power valve. High performance cams cause your engine to have less vacuum. The power valve opens to put more gasoline in the engine because it thinks that you
    have the "pedal to the metal". Put a power valve that is rated at a 5.5 or 6.5 inches
    of vacuum. The new power valve should cure the problem IF you have a high performance cam ( or possibly vacuum leaks ).

30. LAROKE

LAROKE

What kinda girlyboy question is this anyway?