Register now to get rid of these ads!

My C4 Blew Itself Up!!@!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Apr 23, 2009.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Cuz I sure as hell didn't do it...

My '63 Fairlane has been sitting probably close to 8 mos now. I've started it up on occasion to keep it semi fresh, but it hasn't really left its spot in front of my house. Long story short, a few mos ago I decided to take it for a ride and get some gas. I put it in reverse and nothing happened. Nothing in any gear, nothing when you pick the R's up, nothing when its cold, nothing when its warm. WTF.

I checked the obvious. There is fluid on the stick, the driveshaft is there, the E-brake isn't on, the shift linkage is connected. Now the stick and tube were from another C4 and its always been finicky on fluid level. The trans always seeped some and I've had to top it off regularly. I haven't tried adding any just yet because I don't have any with me and I really doubt its the problem.

The car was a daily driver and never had any major trans problems. I drove it into its parking spot. What could have happened from sitting? Maybe the front pump isn't doing its thing?? Are there any things I can check before I stick a fork in it?

Thanks guys, I'd really like to put this pile back on the road and this is sort of impeding my progress.

2. Dunno if it will help with C-4's, but put it in drive - with someone at the wheel holding the brakes on - and check levels.

The little Mopar tranny behind the 273 in my 67 Barracuda did that after sitting for a week and checking trans level as above showed it to be low.

Added a quart and all was well.

3. Could it be the torque converter?

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

As soon as I can I will give it a shot. Even if the stick reads OK, I'm gonna give it a quart anyway.

I guess it could be, but how does a converter break from sitting?

5. RAY With

RAY With

If it was ok when you parked it I doubt you have a wasted convertor but it's possible. With no pressure at all you have nothing so I will say you have a stuck pressure regulator in the valve body. I would remove the trans pan-check the bottom for clutch material and shavings (there is always a little in the bottom of the pan) then remove the valve body then remove the pressure regulator to see if the piston is stuck. It only takes a grain of trash to stick it and a visual look will tell you a lot to begin with. if stuck remove the piston and sand with 400 grit wet/dry and also clean the housing.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Remember that Ford transmission fluid level is supposed to be checked hot at idle; it's possible that you don't have enough fluid, even though it is on the stick.

7. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Add a couple quarts of fluid first, if that don't work then you can start to worry.

Don't forget a couple of bottles or cans for yourself.........

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Fluid is low. I have a c-4 in my 33. Did the same thing. Added some fluid and all is OK.

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ok guys. I'll bring some fluid home from work and give it a try. I hope it is the fluid level.

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Its more than one quart low, so bring home two or three quarts.

11. silent rick

silent rick

what about the vacuum modulator?

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hahaha, that's funny. Might help to get the back tires off the ground too to work any air out of the trans. that way the wheels can spin freer instead of trying to move your car. Also, maybe that trans just needs a rebuild, it's seen a lot of road.

Remember the one I drop-kicked out of your car?

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Well it moves! Added 2 quarts of ATF and it kerplunked right into gear. Took it around the block and it seemed just fine. Tomorrow I'll run it down to my shop so I can maybe get started on it again.

Thanks guys!

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You poured in two quarts...put it in gear...it moves...everything is fine?
    Your gonna warm it up and check the fluid levels properly right???

Me? I'd pull the trans pan and replace the filter...add new type "F" fluid to replace all the old stuff...fix the leak, grease the chassis and also change my oil and filter!
    No wonder I'm poor! Hahaha :D

15. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I can't really check the fluid level properly seeing as the stick is obviously a liar. I will give it the once over tomorrow though. :D I'm just glad its not broken.

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yes...that must be a relief!
    Nothing worse than having something seemingly go with no warning.
    The old Ford transmissions had some issues with gumming and varnish buildup too. I had a (gulp!) MII Cobra that suddenly started to flare badly between shifts. Figured the trans was a goner.
    A friend knew a trans guy...said drop it down.
    Long story short...gummed up modulator piston...$10-20.00 fix...can't remember...but it was a hell of a lot better than buying and putting in a trans on one of those tight fitted little buggers!
    I was smilling for a full week!!!

Wonder what HAMBers think of those snake oil fluid additives for transmissions? Sure would be nice to keep the gum out of those old Fords...:)

17. 64Belvedere

64Belvedere
    from Alabama

Have you tried starting it up a second or third time to check the transmission? I had a '67 Coronet that did that exact thing one time. I pulled it up next to the house, and the next time I started it, it wouldn't do anything. If I put it in R or D, and went to half throttle, it would rock a little bit. But nothing more. I decided to leave it and troubleshoot later.

A couple of days later, I went back out and the trans worked fine. I'm not exactly sure why it happened. Pump lost "prime", torque convertor, ???? All I know is that it worked fine for the next two years.......

EDIT: Oh, got it going by adding fluid. Never mind......

18. DROPnDRIVE

DROPnDRIVE
    from New Jersey

So you have a "kustom shop", where you "work on kustom cars", but can't figure out how to check your own trans fluid..thats some scary shit...but I guess the thousand bucks you owe me should buy you a few quarts of ATF...

19. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

If you read closely he said the dipstick is a liar, happened to me before, wrong dipstick. And hes also a paint and body guy. Fuck i dont hardly even like changing my own oil. Typical body/paint guy thing.

20. zorch

zorch

I had a C-4 that leaked like a seive when parked. I learned from experience that adding too much ATF didn't hurt, it seemed to just drizzle out the dancing hat air vent on top and fade away. It got on the pipes while leaving. No big whoop. Drive it around, it smelled burny for a while and leveled off fine. Don't be afraid of going a little high, which may well happen if you're guessing with a transplanted dipstick.

21. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Time to install shift kit, flush with new fluid, add a cooler, and get the right dipstick, ya dipstick!

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

:D

How do I know which one the right one is?? Lol.

23. teddyp

teddyp

bill that happens with my 58 when it seats a long time put fluid in it drive it a few miles then check it again should be fine:D