Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mercedes 220 A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by horror, Apr 26, 2009.

1. horror

horror
    from England

Hi there,
    I have posted a couple of times here. I am sorry if this post is inapropriate its just that I am frantically trying to research something on behalf of an old guy who has no web access and has never used a computer.

Basically he has a Mercedes 220 with the letter A in the title. So it is 220A.
    I am trying to establish weather this sort of car is very valuable in its current state. It is standing in the yard under a thick tarpaulin, and it is a rolling chassis with lots of the bits dismantled and some parts missing. as of yet I do not know the condition of the bodywork, I have to go and have a look. The old man is too weak to remove the cover and cant see well enough to inspect its condition. He has the documents in his name also.

Can somebody help with value advice or links to resources, I have contacted a couple of other sites.
    Thanks cheers nice one

2. I would think that there are some vintage Mercedes sites that would be more help. I know that Mercedes themselves maintain an entire vintage division for parts and restoration for older cars. Look into that. Good luck

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Missing one key element in your description of the benz... Year?

4. Check with the Mercedes Classic Center in Costa Mesa, CA. I don't know the website address but I'm sure you can google it. Probably will need the year as well as the designation on the car.

5. horror

horror
    from England

Thaks for the replies, infortunately I do not have the year until I speak to the owner again. I will ask him and try those suggestions. He is a self confessed eccentric who lives a reclusive lifestyle, surrounded by junk. It can be tricky to get information due to his age and illness.
    I guess at this stage we are looking to find out weather it is worth a figure in the £100's or a figure in the £1000's

6. andrewvolsen

andrewvolsen

try checking ads for similar vehicles on ebay

7. horror

horror
    from England

I have looked on ebay but there are none, My breif initial searches have given me the impression that the 220A is quite rare. I have seen evidence on the web of restored examples going for vast sums of money. I have yet to find a unrestored example anywhere, no pictures or anything

8. Lonesome

Lonesome
    from Illinois

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

You don't currently have enough information to determine value or desireablility. Convertible? 4 door? Condition? Year? I sold a 220 recently for $1,200.

10. horror

horror
    from England

Hi there,
    Thanks for the replies, I reaise it is difficult to establish any value from my description, But It is in this elderly gents garden covered in a tarpaulin. I have to go there and inspect the wreck.
    I have spoken to him regarding the age, He says it is a 1955 model. Apparently this differs from most 220's as it has the letter A included. Mercedes 220A.
    Thank You

11. If you can find the vin plate on it, then the box marked "baujahr" will be the year of manufacture.