Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kiwi looking for Mopar part in Salt lake City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rye Park Rat, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Rye Park Rat

Rye Park Rat
    from Australia

Hi Guys, help needed
    When I come to the States in August for "Speed Week" I would like to buy some performace parts for my 69 Dodge coupe.
    Yeh I know, why waste my money on a LA 318.
    Its because it is all I can afford.
    I am looking for a performace Motor parts store that sells LA 318 engine parts at a good or even cheap price in Salt lake city or LA?
    I am going to the swap meet at Pomona on the 16th of August, is this a good place to get parts?

Cheers Rye Park Rat

2. what parts are you looking for?

3. Rye Park Rat

Rye Park Rat
    from Australia

I have to get myself organised and measure everthing before I come over. I would like to get,
    Windage tray
    Roller rockers, push rods and lifters to match
    Side mount oil filter modification
    Bearings
    Pistons
    Rods
    oil pump and larger tube size pickup
    Head (I have closed chamber, which will be fine unless I can get aluminium at the right price)
    Gaskets
    Hugger manifolds
    Stuff like this

4. "Mopar" and "Cheap" are mutually exclusive terms.

Everything you need and them some can be found right here.......

http://www.manciniracing.com/

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Don't shoot the messenger, but I thought the 'cheap' hi po heads for the 318 LA were the magnums or the aftermarket OE style replacement heads with the Magnum architecture.

Just a little food for thought, here are some articles you might find interesting, if you haven't seen them already (probably have, but I have to check).

Here's one from Engine Masters

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0901phr_mopar_318_magnum_engine/index.html

And one from PHR by Dulcich

http://popularhotrodding.automotive.com/90082/0810phr-chrysler-318-engine/index.html

And the ever popular Hot Rod

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html

Hope that helps.

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Buy a 360 and be done with it.:)

7. For the parts he is wanting this would be a cheaper way out!

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

You might PM "loudpedal" or the "Throttler's" in Salt Lick........I bet that Kris Elmer who built a bad ass Model A could help you find some parts if you are serious about buying them.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

9. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

GET LOST!!!! i have several 318s and love em!!!! they castrated the 360s with (1) dished pistons and (2) larger chambers; some had compression ratios about 7.5:1; seriously. there ain't anything a 360 will do better than a 318 except suck GAS! got one in my Fury my daily driver pickemup (it's a 3/4 ton) and another for my other O/T car (as in "too new" for you bguys to be interested) The only other engines I have around are all straight 6's.

10. 73RR

73RR

Easy there Don...the 360 has alot going for it, especially the higher torque numbers. Mother Mopar obviously thinks it has advantages since they sell a boat load of the 360 crate pieces. I am not pushing crate engines but they are fairly easy to duplicate. The basic 360 Magnum is relatively cheap these days and in stock form makes more usable power than the 318.
    If gas guzzling is an issue then look at the carb/cam package or put an egg under your foot.

The bigger question is how the 'KIWI' will get the goods home.

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yes, as approximatly none of this would qualify as 'carry on' or 'luggage'.

12. Rye Park Rat,
    I would find someone, a buddy that you ca buy email parts and mail them to in the states, then just when you get out here meet up with them and pick up your parts.

Pomona is a difficult car on mopar parts, there is like one or two main guys that have any performance parts, the rest is basically raiders stuff and doo-dads.

go to socalcarculture.com and find all the mopar shows, check the info for other mopar type shows or clubs in Los Angeles.
    the Mopar spring fling was today and there was some great stuff, a lot of engine stuff, it's a two day event with a swap.

13. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Down here we got plenty of LA 318's ( the older 273's ran harder) but 360's were not exactly rare and all here came with the Good heads,and electronic ignition . They also had some sort of mild cam which must be removed and thrown away,along with any lean burn crap .A good Mopar performance cam and a factory Iron Four bbl manifold gets you plenty of performance. In Chrysler language it all comes down to "cubic inches are important". So if he is going to USA,why not buy a 360 short block,and get the Leheys or J. Cain to ship it back to OZ ?
    There a few Mopar suppliers here and by the time he has bought his bits and shipped them he will find it's gonna be cheaper to shop at home..

14. <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    "Mopar" and "Cheap" are mutually exclusive terms.
    Wait a dang minute! Mopars are very inexpensive to build.
    One thing I would not waste money on is roller rockers. Despite all the advertising you could not measure the improvement they would bring. They are mostly just pretty. You small heart shaped chambered heads are the best for a 318 and really come alive when 360 valves are installed.

15. Rye Park Rat

Rye Park Rat
    from Australia

Thanks guys you have all been a great help

Cheers Rye Park Rat

16. George

George

Can you switch a front filter block to the side?:confused:

17. robster

robster

This is the best advice - maybe your shipping agent will allow you to send parts to him. Otherwise you will spend all your trip time looking around for parts when you could buy them from anywhere in the States (and possibly cheaper) and get them sent to LA to collect.

Also you probably already know this but - if you fly Qantas Economy you are allowed to check 2 bags at 23kg (50lb) each - so 100kgs in total of which any one bag must not exceed 32kg (70lb). You can carry a fair amount of car parts home like that - I bought 2 axles back as lugguge once. You also tend to not get clobbered on import tax/GST doing it that way.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is amazing what one can stick in one of those large bags/cases that a golf bag fits in. You had better have a couple of yard sale golf clubs in it to get it by the airline though.

I'd think it would be advisable to come up with an exact plan and list of what you are hunting for. that way you should be able to have a shopping list with part numbers and maybe a bit of prior knowledge of the current going prices for said items in the US.
    And for new items there are probably a few guys on here willing to help you get a good price break through their connections.

19. Rye Park Rat

Rye Park Rat
    from Australia

I have decided to change my focus, I have decided to buy one of your great American cars and take it back to Australia.
    I will by a Mopar 1940 classic coupe.
    I will come to the US and enjoy my holiday cruse out to Bonneville sit back enjoy the racing, drink a few beers, get a bit of sun and enjoy your country
    I will buy my engine parts when I get back to Australia. (Unless a bargin jumps out at me)
    At the moment it is a good time for us to buy, you dollar is only costing $1.22.
    All the best fellas -- Rye Park Rat