Register now to get rid of these ads!

History need help identifying the movie a 37 taxi was in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austin296, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Austin296

Austin296

I recently bought a 1937 P4 sedan taxi. The door emblem is from the checker special company. I was told when i bought the car that it had been an a movie, not sure if color or black and white, the previous owner said the guy he bought it from told him the movie but he has since forgotten and lost the paper he wrote it down on. So if anyone remembers this taxi from a movie then i would greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. I don't think your car is here, but thousands of movie cars are in this database.

http://www.imcdb.org/

3. No idea what era the movie was?

4. Austin296

Austin296

the previous owner told me he thought the movie was made in the 40s and black and white but he was not positive.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thought I saw one in (It's a wonderful life)

6. Austin296

Austin296

okay thanks ill check it out

7. Austin296

Austin296

just finished watching its a wonderful life and this taxi wasnt in it

8. Austin296

Austin296

chili... wtf???

9. I couldn't think of a movie, but that was VERY controversial art in the early sixties. I should have guessed that it might seem, how do you say?, odd. Yes, odd.

10. Austin296

Austin296

okay yeah i was kind of just befuddled when i opened it. didnt really know what to say...

11. Is it the "Heart Meds" or are you drinking the "Bong Water" again????:D

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

How about the production of DICK TRACY with Warren Beatty?

13. Subtle difference between "on drugs" and "on medications". I use the bong water for cologne. Drives the young girls crazy.

14. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Rodger Rabbit had a bunch of old cars in it. If it was in something real old it looks like it has been redone at least.
    Thought Dick Tracy also.

15. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Your request isn't to broad is it? I mean a 37 model that was in 'a' movie maybe in the 40's but your not sure? If you have no documentation what's the value in it? Good luck chasing your tail.

16. lewislynn

lewislynn

Cool Car!
    Maybe it was that heart wrenching WWII movie where those three GI's come home to the same town after the war. One was a mechanic with hooks for hands. One was a soda jerk and one was a banker.

They all three rode in a taxi together.

17. alchemy

alchemy

I remember the Dick Tracy movie as having a '37 Desoto taxi, because I noticed the ribbed bumpers. But I think it was yellow.

How about 1941, the John Belushi movie? Go watch that. Even if you don't find your car in it, you'll still have a good time.

18. Austin296

Austin296

buckeye dont give me shit about it if you dont have anything worth saying then shut the hell up. this is just purely for curiosity. I think it would be cool to tell someone my 1937 "Checker Special" plymouth taxi was in a movie.

lewis do you remember the name of that movie?

alchemy, yeah ill have to either rent those two movies or find them on the internet somewhere since i havent seen either of them and yes i know my scope of movies is rather limited.

19. lewislynn

lewislynn

I looked it up. It's called: The Best Years Of Our Lives. With Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Virginia Mayo and others...It might be a long shot but if you like old movies, it's worth watching.

20. zorch

zorch

There's one Three Stooges movie where they run around in cricles chasing each other or being chased in and out of the open suicide doors of a '37 Dodge or Plymouth taxi. It's a great scene, right up there with Curly's seafood mama bit.

21. Austin296

Austin296

okay thanks lewis ill add that as well as more three stooges to the list of movies i need to watch

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Checker was building it's own cars in 1937 - Plymouth had nothing to do with Checker.

23. How good is the paint? I worked in the movie industry for about 10 years and all of the cars that I saw, that were painted for a film, had pretty lousey paint jobs. These are some that I painted for "My Girl II" with McCauley Culkin. There were two identical Corvairs and the taxis. They look good in the pix, but up close, they were pretty bad. I remember seeing the Model A coupe that John Boy Walton drove later in the series. It looked great on the small screen, but in person it was kind of a POS. Your car seems kinda "nice" to be a movie car. We've all seen taxis, cop cars, fire chiefs cars and the like at the shows and cruise nights. Could be yours is just a novelty paint job.
    Checker was building their own cars in 37, but I have seen and ridden in many Checker cabs while in the Navy in the 60s that were not Checker automobiles. In fact, on the west coast, I don't recall seeing any Checkers

Attached Files:

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

"The Best Years of Our Lives" also stars a genuine Disabled Veteran with no forearms/hands who stars as a vet who was...a hotrodder. It has a couple poignant scenes where he is in his garage with his rod and working on a carburetor.

This is one of the best of all the WWII-era films.

25. Austin296

Austin296

car la fong, yeah it looks better in pictures than in person but really the paint job is not that bad, but the bodywork and the covering up of the trunk lock and handle holes with bondo was poorly done for a quick paint job. The vinyl decals were not done as well as they could have though.

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Vinyl decals, you can probably rule out B&W films.

BTW you're not just searching films set in old time. It could be any flashback moment. Hell, every lifetime movie ever made has a flashback of a cab taking a person away forever (or so they thought.........) Your work is cut out. Good luck, it's a cool car with a cool story.

27. Austin296

Austin296

thats a good point. I mainly have been concentrating on black and white because the guy i bought it from said he thought it was a black and white movie that the car was in but i guess they probably didnt use decals back then

28. Ghost28

Ghost28

I just googled (period movies set in the 30s and 40s) and you will be suprised, it even includes the dates they came out. Man are you gonna be busy...ghost