Register now to get rid of these ads!

American made I beam dropped axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hugh m, Apr 19, 2009.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Jim's hands are tied at So-Cal, not the HAMB (as I understand it). Maybe So-Cal won't let him be an Alliance Member.

2. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Man, the holes in that thing are too big. They shouldn't be going into the web portion of the axle. Looks bad too.

3. 392_hemi

392_hemi

For critical applications I only use hardware that I am certain was manufactured in US or Canada. If you buy from a supply house like McMaster Carr, they will have this information. If you buy at the local hardware store, most likely it's Hillman brand and sourced from overseas.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How do you know that he's not??? Not all Alliance Members have the "tag" under their user name....you can change it in your profile.;):D

I have a dropped axle from 296V8 and couldn't be happier....very high quality drop.

5. Deathtrap

Deathtrap
    from Cali

Below is the e-mail reply I received on 4/20/09 from Speedway re: their new "9-super-7" carb - no surprises here...

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your inquiry. Our carb was designed, tested, and engineered here in Lincoln Ne. We have both US and global vendors worldwide that provide us with the most competitive and quality components, we have a vendor in China that fabricates this particular item for us.

Thank you again for thinking of us and please let us know if we can help with anything else that you might need.

Thanks for choosing Speedway Motors,

Brian Robinson, Customer Service Supervisor
    Speedway Motors, Inc
    340 Victory Lane
    Lincoln, NE 68528

Sales/Customer Service: 1-800-979-0122
    Fax: 1-800-736-3733

Visit: www.SpeedwayMotors.com

6. 29ron

29ron

So-cal dropped axle is made off shore. It says right on the box. I just bought one.

7. And it's a beautiful piece in my opinion.

8. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I have been an Alliance Member and then was an Alliance Vendor. It was great working with everyone but when I made Ryan aware I was planning my own internet project for everyone's best protection I was taken off the program that allowed me access to very secure user information. It's just all good sense stuff so everyone is best protected. I still support the program and believe it is an amazing thing. Thanks Jim

9. HotRod33

HotRod33

I bought one a year ago and it is fine........ I like how everyone bitches about parts not made in the US and then half the guys bitching drive imports......

10. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

You seem like an incredibly stand up person. I am definitely going to be ordering my coupe parts through you.

11. Searcher

Searcher

In these trying times for American jobs I'd find it hard to look myself in the mirror if I was buying stuff made elsewhere to save a few bucks over a like product made in the USA. Buy American it's Traditional.

12. In a sort of related note- 296V8-

How "bent" can an axle be and be able to be "straightened" or "dropped"?
    I have a 35/36 axle I bought for $2 a while ago, and it has a whooptee about a foot or so in from the kingpin hole.
    Can something like that be straightened out, or is it strictly trailer material?
    Obviously, you'd need a picture to tell for sure, but for basic info purposes...
    Thanks!
    JK

13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I'm in this for the long haul- good and bad (and it has been tough the last couple years with what the economy has done to so many of us). As soon as I was no longer the main Alliance person I stepped back, but feel free to contact me ANY time for advice or questions. I really enjoy that the most when I can answer a question and just help someone figure something out or point them in the right direction for something they are looking for which more often doesn't come from me. It's not ALL about making sales, friends first and the rest sorts itself out. Thanks guys, Jim

14. I was confronted with that issue buying brake pads for my daily last week.

Basic pads, killer price of $14.95.............looked at the box and it said China.

$25 pads, looked a little better but still made in China

$37 pads, you could tell by description on the box and looking at the composition that they were light years of the $14 mystery pads AND they were made in the USA. Told the parts guy I would buy the USA ones, as well as my US reman MC for the Model A. It is a choice I am making more and more.

15. Have Greg, 296 V8, drop you one. You will not be disappointed......I've also bought parts from Jim A. and found him to be a great guy to deal with...

16. Fe26

Fe26

Any bent axle can be straightened, even one bent into a 'u' shape. If the bend is not too sharp it could be straightened cold under a press.

If the bend is sharp heat should be used, and this is best done by a blacksmith. (Not the kind of smith that has a little fire and does all his work on an anvil). You need a guy with a furnace big enough to get most or all of the axle in, when it's about 900-1000C red colour but not bright red your Industrial Smith will ideally straighten it with one slow even press or even pull it straight by hand around forming pegs or he may even give it a few light taps under a power hammer.

The best thing about using this guy is he will heat the axle slowly and evenly and let the axle cool down in the correct way and this is important. See my previous posts on this topic.
    Also if you were thinking about having your $2.00 (lucky you) axle dropped now would be a good time to do this.

This costs money of course and I don't know what General Blacksmiths are charging in the U.S. I would think about 1 hour or the minimum charge would cover it, and you will have a straight non-stressed axle for a still very good price.

17. Traditional36

Traditional36

so-cal has been goo to me. the parts and service was good. As far as a chrome axle i would just drop my own and have it chromed

18. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I have never been a So-Cal fan, but have dealt with JimA several times and he has ALWAYS been one of the best around,,,,,,,, period.

19. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Thanks guys, in a world where most people only take the time to post a gripe the positive comments mean A LOT! Thanks Jim

20. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Im pretty sure its made here on this Globe
    [​IMG]

I respect if you want to buy localy produceded, but sometimes it get a bit ridicoulus.
    You usually get what you pay for, regardless of where it was made.

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

None of us has to justify wanting to use American products on our Hot Rods.

22. Chuck R

Chuck R

Jim has always been an honest and upfront person and business man. Why does everyone need to go sideways and attack. Shoot -Aim - Ready
    Have a great week end
    chuck

23. I have to agree. I have purchased from Jim and I would not hesitate to buy from him again. He's a stand up guy!

24. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I don't feel attacked- but the conversation is not solving anything or answering any questions so please think it through if this is worth using up precious bandwidth for the HAMB.

25. Best line on the HAMB all week.

26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

JK
    Bends and twists out in the center beam area get fixed cold in my press. I try not to heat out there to preserve the original heat treat.

I did a 34 axle for the fellow that makes the Grill Art grills a few months back. The axle he sent me had about a 20 degree bend out in the center.
    Its really not a big deal, I fix em for free.
    Greg

27. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Even a better quote of the week! We have some original Deuce Heavy axles around the shop we need to get you to drop, I'll be contacting you. Thanks Jim

28. Fe26

Fe26

These axels aren't heat treated as in Hardened and Tempered, they are normalised in still air with a moderate slow cool.
    These axels are very durable in that they can take a lot of abuse, from being bent and twisted in crashes to rodders using localised heat to drop the axel to others welding on brackets etc. Ideally any heat applied to a critical part should see the axel normalised by slow heat and cooling, the fact that most are not is testament to the composition of the alloy steel and the forging method in the manufacture.

29. wouldn't fixing it without heat work harden it and make it more brittle at that location?

30. krooser

krooser

Exactly where "offshore".... Catalina Island?