Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint problem....dust coming out of the paint gun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Standard32, Apr 23, 2009.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

pretty good is not good enough, shake the hell out of it and then shake some more. A shaker is a huge help. I know a couple guys that even took their stuff to the local big box and got them to shake it...

2. vertible59

vertible59

If he's using reducer, that's the trouble. Reducer is for enamel paint...thinner for lacquer.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Did you read the instructions????????????
    Lacquer "used" to be reduced by 200-300%. I haven't used in in over 20 years, but they may have changed that....selling pre-reduced lacquer would make the company more money. But they SHOULD tell you the the reduction rate.
    Selling it pre-reduced takes tailoring the reducer for the temperature, out of the picture...not good. With 90* temps, and probably, not enough airflow (you're NOT using a booth, right?) you really need to use a high temp thinner....or add retarder to the mix.
    Lacquer is not that hard to shoot.

4. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

Check duplicolors website... The paint is already reduced (pre-mixed) , I was told they are using acetone , not lacquer thinner.

Up your fluid control, or wait for a cooler day. Paint is drying before it reaches the surface

5. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

There were no instructions on how to thin it. It says it’s not supposed to require any mixing…ready to spray right out of the can.
    And yeh, no paint booth. As far as air flow, all I’ve got is a couple fans that I use to blow the air away from what I’m painting…(don't know if that's good to do or not. may be doing more harm than good...but I figured it'd help keep any overspray or dust from falling back down in the paint)

Anyway, I thinned it a lot, and turned it down to about 35PSI….that took care of all the spider web crap… thanks for everyone’s input.

Still gotta do a little more cleaning on them… sidewall’s still got some tape residue…
    Here’s some pics(kinda dark, but better than no pics I guess.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The Nicest thing about lacquer is the Over spray drys before it sticks to any thing in the surrounding area.. any other paints stick .. they look good.. happy to see you got it to work..

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Duplicolor...that's a really crappy way to sell paint!
    If you need to paint more of it, go to your local autobody supply store and get retarder for lacquer, if the temps stay that high. Overreducing the paint won't cause a problem with lacquer (tho it might with other paints), but you'll really have to put on a LOT of coats of paint for good coverage. AND if you don't monitor and paint your coats with enought flash time, you'll get solvent trapping, leading to tiny bubbles raising up from the paint, later on. NOT a good thing. That's one of the few bad things about shooting lacquer.
    The other is shrinkage. Lacquer swells the undercoats (primer and such), so when it levels out, it's only temporary. When the undercoats, and paint dry, they shrink back down unevenly, causing sandscratches, pinholes, and uneven surfaces to reappear. Could happen in days, weeks, even months. Lacquer DRIES, and it is a slow process, unlike modern paints that chemically 'cure', and have less "moving around" after a few days.
    Best thing is, it's real easy to sand and buff!
    Good luck with it!